Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nototyrannus, a South American tyrannosaur

Options
  • 13-08-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭

Its full name is Nototyrannus violantei, it was about 4.5 meters long (a small guy for a tyrannosaur) and lived 92 million years ago in Argentina. How cool is that?
    No skull has been found but the rest of the body is very typical of a tyrannosaurid, with even the small two fingered arms that made its relatives famous. It was a light weight, fast runner, probably specialized in smaller prey than the contemporary carcharodontosaurs.

This is an awesome discovery because it opens many possibilities- for example, that we may find tyrannosaurs in Africa, or that we may find a second tyrannosaur in South America... but a huge one this time. It also means that despite everything scientists said, tyrannosaurus did coexist with carcharodontosaurs, spinosaurs and abelisaurs in the southern hemisphere.

nototyrannus_and_anabisetia_by_hodarinundu-d46cuzf.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Awesome drawing. Also, when I saw this thread in my CP, I thought it was "Nostradamus, a South American tyrannosaur?"
    As awesome as the Nototyrannus is, I can't help but feel a little disappointed that it isn't also a seer of doom. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Brilliant worms eye view of the pair of them. Another great drawing mate. I must admit I look forward to the new ones all the time, they make my day.

I suspect it was a doom seer. I bet it could spot an asteroid about to take it's head off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So mid-late CretaceousSouth America had giant carcharodontosaurids, giant spinosaurs, giant abelisaurids... and now small-medium sized tyrannosaurs. What the heck was in the water?!!? It's like a continent fuelled on a combination of crack and streroids.

This find really gives me hope of a late Cretaceous North American allosaur/carcharodontosaur, a elative of Acrocantosaurus perhaps?
    Like some kinds of arms race, it appears the carcharodontosaurs 'won' in South America, while the tyrannosaurs 'won' in 'North America'.
    Until of course the next find blows everything we taught we knew right out of the water...

edit: I just copped the name, "violent southern lizard" :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Could it not potentially be a juvenile that was found? Meaning the adult could be much larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Bad news; paleontologist Rodolfo Coria says that the news were too rushed and that Nototyrannus is probably NOT a tyrannosaurid, and probably WON´T have that name.
    He says that the press got it all wrong. This sucks, of course, because... now what am I supossed to do with my drawing? :S

• Advertisement

Excitement fading... So, I'm guessing it's an abelisaurid of some kind?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Excitement fading... So, I'm guessing it's an abelisaurid of some kind?

No idea; it was the press that said the animal had small two fingered arms, but who knows if its true or just made up by journalists. You can´t trust anyone these days, huh?
    Plus a friend who knows some reliable sources in South America tells me that there seems to be a lot of conflict between paleontologists and that he fears many discoveries in "Nototyrannus" territory may take years to be published, if they ever are. :(

as an aside - I love it when this tiny (but growing) forum based in a country not known for it's palaeontology manages to get scoops before the big boys of scientific journalism :)
    I'm sure I speak for everyone who frequents in saying we greatly appreciate your generous sharing of information (and drawings too!) Mr. Khor.

Galvasean wrote: »
    as an aside - I love it when this tiny (but growing) forum based in a country not known for it's palaeontology manages to get scoops before the big boys of scientific journalism :)
    I'm sure I speak for everyone who frequents in saying we greatly appreciate your generous sharing of information (and drawings too!) Mr. Khor.

:D

• Advertisement

Rumors are starting all over again; some say that the creature IS indeed a tyrannosaur, but that no studies have been done on it yet because paleontologists are still fighting over the fossil...

Advertisement