Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat seems hurt, but not sure

• 13-08-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭

Hi, my cat went missing for 24 hours the other day (very unusual and we were climbing the walls). But he returned seemingly fine. But he hasnt eaten or drank since he came home, he seemed ok but has mostly been lying around feeling sorry for himself (unusual for him) Just a moment ago I tried to give him some chicken and he refused, he wanted to jump up to his favourite chair but seemed unable to, he meowed and then I noticed that he was walking strangely, unsure of his footing, he jumped onto a smaller chair and nearly fell over. I brought him some water, which he refused, and noticed some faint traces of what appears to be dried blood at his nose and around his tear ducts. There are no local vets open until monday. Any ideas? He doesn't appear to be in discomfort and lets himself be picked up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭maryxyz

Please try & get him to a vet - there's sure to be a message on local vet's phone giving details of weekend cover or even to a local branch of prevention of cruelty to animals. Sounds like he might have been hit by a car - he is depending on you to help him !

Maryxyz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I saw the thread title and reading it I figured a thorn in his paw. Pretty common

But sounds like he either got a belt of a car or maybe got in a fight. I'd say a car
    Either way the internal injuries are what's bothering him, not just a simple cut

Get him to the vet, the practice might be closed now but there should be someone on cover.
    If you call they might have a contact on the answering machine message

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ryan84

where are you located? most vets have a 24hour emergency service. we have had to use them twice before and they havent charged too much extra for it. if hes not eating then thats not good. most cats dont ever stop eating! I would bring him to the vets as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'm in North Dublin, I've called the emergency vet and am just waiting on a callback. He looks completely normal, but he's clearly not. I fear he may have eaten or drank something bad for him. I hope it's not a car that hit him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thinking about it again since there was blood on his face maybe he found a rotting dead bird on the ground and tried eating it

All guessing though, a vet will sort this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I fear he may have eaten or drank something bad for him.

Thats exectly what i thought when i read it first.

it's only a very small trace of darkness that appears to be blood. I'll let y'all know what the vet says. The poor cat looks so sad. He's snoozing now on the couch.

The vet thinks it may be a cat bite infection, I can't find any injury on him or temperature. I'm going to take him over the emergency vet in Blanch now. Fingers crossed its something like that.

hey, well home from the vet now and it's serious, my cat's in a lot of pain and he's taken a knock somehow, vet doesn't think it was a car, could have been a bad fall or a kick but his tummy is really hurting him. Thankfully its not poison or an infection though. We'll know more in the morning at 11 as the vet's keeping him overnight. I feel so bad for him, he's such a good cat. Didn't even bite the vet when she examined his tummy, he just meaowed like it was really hurting him. Poor little dude.
    Vet says his spleen might be damaged, I should've asked what the removal of a spleen would cost. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I have no idea what it would cost OP but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dr Evil, The vet just phoned and the poor cat's gone downhill rapidly. She's performing the surgery now as she thought without it he won't make it through the night. He mightn't make it through the op. Lots of tears here at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Hope he makes it through the surgery, poor fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Fingers crossed here too that he pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Fingers crossed for him here too. Well done you getting him to the emergency vet in any case. Hope he makes it.

he didn't make it.
    vet says it was poison.
    Thanks for your kind wishes.
    RIP Darcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

I'm so sorry to hear that. I have had my fingers and toes crossed for Darcy all night :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

So sorry to hear that. You done all you could. RIP Darcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Sorry to hear it. Run free Darcy

Thanks for your kind words, we're devastated here.
    He was the best cat, such a great little personality and so gentle.
    I'm going to miss him so much. Can't believe he won't be coming home.

img0337va.jpg

poor little guy. At least he didn't suffer once he got to the vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

So sorry to hear about your lovely little cat. At least he did not suffer for longer due to you bringing him to the vets so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That's terrible!

Who put all this poison around the place??

Perhaps it's time someone gets sued next time a pet gets killed this way.

People have absolutely no sense of responsibility or of the potential suffering and environmental damage laying poison can cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

RIP little Darcy, so sorry to hear about his troubles, so sad.

Can the Vet tell you what type of poison it was? Maybe ask about the area and see if anyone knows of people laying it. Could it be someone stupidly laid rat poison and poor Darcy got to some...

I really hope you're ok, I know when I lost my cat I was devastated and still miss him 6 years on. You did what was best for him and he would thank you for it. RIP little guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ryan84

very sorry about your cat. I only logged in this morning to see how you were getting on. . he looks a bit like my fella too :(

thanks for your sympathies, they're appreciated.
    I know that he wouldn't eat rat poison, he was picky about his food. Either he ate a poisoned mouse or someone left poisoned meat out to stop cats pooping in their garden. The vet said we could send his body off to see if they could tell what type of poison it was but she debated the value of doing that and said the results are rarely conclusive in her experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

sorry to hear he didn't make it. At least as you say, he didn't suffer once he got to the vet, well done for taking him last night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Was following this thread last night. Sorry your cat didn't make it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Anonymous111

I'm really sorry to hear this OP. When I was younger, about 10, we'd got our first dog (a golden labrador, he wasn't even near fully grown). A few days before Christmas, our **** of a neighbor poisoned him. He came home stumbling around the place. When I got home from school I found out what had happened and he was in the vets at that point. He went unconscious and the vet couldn't save him. It still hurts to this day and it's ten years on. Whoever poisoned your cat may not have done it on purpose, but **** them, they need to take responsibility. You can't just poison someones pet and cause suffering to an animal just because you want to. What sad, pathetic individuals.

When I read the OP the first thing I thought was that the poor cat has eaten poison. I'm very sorry for your loss. She looks like a lovely little thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Really sorry to hear that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

So sorry to hear that OP.People are too free and easy about leaving poison around.Sounds like you did everything you could and the little guy had a great home while he was with you.

Advertisement