Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT section II

Options
  • 13-08-2011 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Just a quick GAMSAT question regarding section 2 for the essays. I understand that Task A is meant to be a more argumentative approach and task B a more personal approach but other than this how are we expected to make the two different? Are we expected to use different structures? Griffith's review only really gives one approach with the 5-step plan, but is this just for task A or for both?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Just a quick GAMSAT question regarding section 2 for the essays. I understand that Task A is meant to be a more argumentative approach and task B a more personal approach but other than this how are we expected to make the two different? Are we expected to use different structures? Griffith's review only really gives one approach with the 5-step plan, but is this just for task A or for both?

Thanks!
    they changed the system i believe since a few years back, I used griffith's plan for both essays and got 57 last year and it was my worst section, partly because i hadn't written essays since like secondary school before gamsat prep... so I'm happy out since my section 1 and 3 were alot better, i think back in the day the prompts used to be tailored argumentative for A and personal for B but now the prompts arent tailored at all, so you could write them both as argumentative or both as personal

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I don't think it is so much that you are asked to write two very different essays, but that the first essay's theme lends itself to an argumentative essay and the second's to a personal response, but in the end it's up to you how you want to respond to them. I didn't make a distinction and responded to both on a level footing.

I found Griffith's advice on how to write an essay a decent basis for someone whose first language was not English, but not all that useful for anyone else. For section two, it's all practice. Sit down to write two essays in an hour and finish them even though you feel as if if someone ever read them they'd never look you in the eye again. My discipline was awful on this to begin with, but as I managed to put some shape to my essays with the help of The Meaning of Things by AC Grayling, it got better.

There's nothing like that feeling of sitting back after you've spat out two essays and waiting for the guys to come collect your paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I thought the griffiths advice on section 2 was absolutely woefully basic (we're talking junior cert english standard advice). I just practiced writing a few essays under exam conditions.
    Got a 79 in it.

If you come from a science background etc, and don't know how to argue coherently and concisely in essay form, read as much high quality journalism and non-fiction as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Annaroberts22

jtsuited wrote: »
    I thought the griffiths advice on section 2 was absolutely woefully basic (we're talking junior cert english standard advice). I just practiced writing a few essays under exam conditions.
    Got a 79 in it.

If you come from a science background etc, and don't know how to argue coherently and concisely in essay form, read as much high quality journalism and non-fiction as possible.

Can I ask what structure you used? especially for the personal essay in task B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Er, I'm not sure I understand the question.

I can give you a brief outline of what i wrote for task b if I can remember correctly what it was (task a was about affirmative action, and then b was a collection of quotes about what is needed for a full happy life i think???).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Annaroberts22

jtsuited wrote: »
    Er, I'm not sure I understand the question.

I can give you a brief outline of what i wrote for task b if I can remember correctly what it was (task a was about affirmative action, and then b was a collection of quotes about what is needed for a full happy life i think???).

It would be great if you could give me an idea what you wrote for task B especially my question is did you follow a specfic structure or just wrote it on the day without a set structure?

Advertisement