Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crusier from UK?

• 13-08-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

How I could I go about getting it over?

Seen a lovely for 2,200 it's a four berth, 27ft. What should I look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭dnme

AB

From my humble experience, check check check the hull. Look for any signs of rust coming out of the fibreglass. Inspect the keel(s) forensicly. If there are thick layers of paint or bitumen underneath, be suspicious. Check the deck and bilge. Test all structural surfaces with your full weight. Look out for any spongy surfaces. Check for mould, damp etc by smell and visual.

Apart from that, bringing her back? Is she on a trailer? if so have you any mate swith Jeeps?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

A great ongoing thread, with almost a worst case scenario that might point you at some things to look at.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056217528&page=30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

How I could I go about getting it over?

Tow her back if she has her own trailer?
    Seen a lovely for 2,200 it's a four berth, 27ft. What should I look out for?

Get a marine surveyor report done before you decide?

These are suggestions - I am sure dnme can indeed give you more advice about checking boats out ;)

Valerie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

After the last two winters there are a lot of "cheep boats" if there is such a thing with cracked engines and pluming so unless you do like ValerieR said and get a surveyors report "about £1000 if done right" you will just be gambling your money. I wouldn't risk towing it back unless I knew the trailer was fully serviced and I had spare wheel and bearings.
    I have used these before http://www.shiply.com/, you fill in the form or give an ebay link and you will get companies bidding to transport it for you then you pick a price that suits.:)

Best of luck.

Advertisement