Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Sugar Loaf eroding?

Options
  • 13-08-2011 10:01pm

Just wondering as it seems to be losing it's shape.
    Any one else think so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Moved from Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

No, not that I can think of anyway. It's made up of Cambrian quartzite so it's pretty hard stuff that's fairly resistant to erosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Quartz is the hardest of the common rock building minerals. It aint going anywhere fast

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

dojojoe wrote: »
    Just wondering as it seems to be losing it's shape.
    Any one else think so?

It's eroding. Just not fast enough for it to be in any way noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Childhood memories are of a Sugerloaf much whiter than it is now. I remember it as almost looking snowcapped. It seems to be much duller today. Often wondered was it to do with the amount of traffic up to the peak now. (Quads and trials bikes etc.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Childhood memories are of a Sugerloaf much whiter than it is now. I remember it as almost looking snowcapped. It seems to be much duller today. Often wondered was it to do with the amount of traffic up to the peak now. (Quads and trials bikes etc.)
    Same with me.
    Could be that the (brief) spell of global warming allowed a degree of growth above the tree line. Could be that increased amounts of rainfall have allowed lichens and mosses to coat the quartzite. Could be the result of aerial pollutants from Dublin.
    Could be that our memories are tinged and it's the same colour as ever.

Advertisement