Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 price + performance

Options
  • 13-08-2011 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I was looking for a second hand .223 or .243.
    Mainly just for target shooting and possibly rabbits, i am on a limited budget about 900 and i would prefer to have a scope. I am wondering on the range of the individual cartridges and the price of ammo. I am hoping to shoot up to 500 hundred yards and was wondering if the .223 could mange that or would i have to go for the more expensive .243.

I was also wondering if you need anything more than a gun license for these two calibres (eg.deer hunting license)

.223 or .243 for a mixture of good price and good performance. Budget of around 850 24 votes

New .223
    0% 0 votes
    Second Hand .223
    16% 4 votes
    New .243
    83% 20 votes
    Second Hand .243
    0% 0 votes
    None of the above eg.22 250 or .17
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Fifa12 wrote: »
    I was looking for a second hand .223 or .243.
    Mainly just for target shooting and possibly rabbits, i am on a limited budget about 900 and i would prefer to have a scope. I am wondering on the range of the individual cartridges and the price of ammo. I am hoping to shoot up to 500 hundred yards and was wondering if the .223 could mange that or would i have to go for the more expensive .243.

I was also wondering if you need anything more than a gun license for these two calibres (eg.deer hunting license)

.223 would be a good target round and hunting round. Ammo from €15-€28. Will shoot out to 500 with practice.

.243 more of a deer/hunting round not really a target round. Will need deer licence if not member of a range.

.204 same as .223 but flatter trajectory and less wind drift.

What experience do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Fifa12

ive had a .22 for about a year now and have been doing a lot of shooting with it and i would like to do a bit more longe range shooting as the .22 has too much drop past 150 yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

ive had a .22 for about a year now and have been doing a lot of shooting with it and i would like to do a bit more longe range shooting as the .22 has too much drop past 150 yards.

Do you have any intention of shooting deer in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

If it's targets and rabbits only, 223 is the best for you in my opinion. Targets and rabbits means a lot of plinking=alot of ammo.223 Federal FMJ starts 9euro/box, for rabbits Remington UMC JHP from 15Euro. No other centrefire caliber will beat that. And with the right load (hornady 75gr BTHP or TAP, even lighter as V-max 55gr or the new supeformance 53gr) you'll be hitting 500yard targets no bother, even beyond on a calm day.
    If you've no intention of shooting deer-forget about the .243, to big on rabbits, to expensive on ammo. If you planning to join the range, which would mean that you would be able to get bigger centerfire caliber than it's 308 to go for. Accurate,variety of ammo, not that that expensive and so on.Obviosly not suitable for rabbits though.

dev110 wrote: »
    Do you have any intention of shooting deer in the near future?
    no not the near future

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

no not the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Go for a secondhand .223 shop around and you'll get a clean rifle @ a good price, theres always lads trading in perfectly good rifles to move up to deer shooting calibres! You should get a decent rifle and scope for 900

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭clivej

You should look thought the sales section here.

I've just sold a very good little used CZ .223 with mounts and a mod that the buyer had for good money from there.

You may very well be able to get the 243 for foxing without a deer license it will depend on your Super.

clivej wrote: »
    You should look thought the sales section here.

I've just sold a very good little used CZ .223 with mounts and a mod that the buyer had for good money from there.

You may very well be able to get the 243 for foxing without a deer license it will depend on your Super.
    how much did you sell your .223 for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

A deer caliber rifle for rabbits? Do you plan on eating them?:rolleyes:

lovely gun here under your budget
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056292977

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭podge.243
    Paul Murphy

You shud go for a .223 you shur pick up one for a gud price.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

223 is the way to go i think you will have to jump through a few hoops(deer permit) if you want to get the 243 or join a range,none of that with the 223

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

You say targets, unless your going down the "zeroing route" there isnt that many places that have the facility for 223 target shooting.

If your after longer range and rabbits would a 17 HMR or a 22 Magnum or even a trusty Hornet not be better, a lot less meat damage

Advertisement