Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel pulling a fast one - need some opinions on what to do

Options
  • 13-08-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm normal very good with consumer rights but I'm not too sure which angle to approach this one with so looking for other peoples opinions. Booking a stag in Galway city for a sat & sun night and e-mailed a few hotels for quotes. Wasn't a huge different in them and decided on one hotel, 95euros per person for the two nights, confirmed by phone I'd go with them, told we'd have some triple and quad rooms, at this stage dealing with person A.

Move on a month later, stag a few weeks away and after a few e-mails back and forth decided on numbers. Hotel asked for deposit of 200euros which I'd no problems with, told them to take it out off my credit card. Got an e-mail from the hotel stating I'd paid 200euros and that they'd booked twin rooms for us at 140euros a night. This is 45euros more than I agreed, even a lot dearer than what I can get rooms in that hotel on their website at the moment for those dates. Dealing with person B now.

I've e-mailed the person now telling them that isn't what I agreed, and what was on the original quote I got from person A. I'd cancel the booking altogether only for I'm worried about the deposit, the website say it's non-refundable. I'm waiting for a response but just wondering what to do if they won't honour the quote I got, which is what I though I was paying the deposit on...at no stage was 140euros a room a night mentioned during e-mails. I know the numbers are now about half of what I though originally would go but I was told there was flexibility in number adjustment.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If you have emails agreeing to the €95 per head, then I can's see why you have a problem.

If they don't honour the original quote, they can not keep your deposit.

If they are not now prepared to honour the quote they gave you, it might be best to cancel immediately, and request a refund of the deposit on the basis that, at the kindest view of their behaviour, it was paid on the basis of a mistake that they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It must be based on the numbers, as thats the only thing that has changed.

I would cancel quoting the original e-mail and re-book on the website as ye are all going to have to pay now as the stag is a few weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Thanks very much for the replies I got, much appreciated. The person A from the hotel contacted me this morning stating they will be honouring the quote given and apologised for the confusion and mix-up in communication...can't really ask for any more than that.:)

Advertisement