Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smacking children.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

margio wrote: »
    Actually it's not, paddlings as the Americans call it is actually common practice , but obviously it depends on what State your talking about, like I Think it's prevalent in the red nex southern United States, but it's prob outlawed in the other parts like new york , mass, new england, washington etc.

Do you have any sort of evidence whatsoever for this ludicrous slander? Or is this just what you think? Because if you're just spouting off about something you know nothing about you should just really shut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

just google it , you'll definately find that it occurs in schools in the US, obviously not all of them but as mentioned previously the south, I found stuff on it but dont know how to upload it, just google Paddling in American schools

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Discipline is not merely about teaching right and wrong - in many cases the child is already well aware of what's right and wrong and therefore their actions require an actual punishment (whatever that might be).

One word of caution here for parents: You really need to be careful that the child isn't looking for attention with their bad behaviour. Punishment in such a situation merely reinforces the behaviour. You need to isolate and ignore them and give them the minimum of attention when such behaviour is suspected.

Ideally, punishments should be as minimal as possible in general to avoid such positive reinforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

In American schools paddling in schools are quiet common.
    just google it , you'll definately find that it occurs in schools in the US, obviously not all of them...

This will be my last comment on this absurd claim made by you...you cannot possibly make such a broad statement such as "paddling is quite common." Taking your instruction, I googled it and looked for the real facts, and this is what the World Corporal Punishment Research body confirmed:
    Total paddlings were equivalent to only 0.5% of the total US school population.
    http://www.corpun.com/counuss.htm

I wouldn't be surprised to find that even now in Ireland 0.5% of students are still receiving "paddling" at schools (despite it being made fully illegal from 1996)...should we then also claim that it's "common" here?

Ayla wrote: »
    This will be my last comment on this absurd claim made by you...you cannot possibly make such a broad statement such as "paddling is quite common." Taking your instruction, I googled it and looked for the real facts, and this is what the World Corporal Punishment Research body confirmed:
    http://www.corpun.com/counuss.htm

I wouldn't be surprised to find that even now in Ireland 0.5% of students are still receiving "paddling" at schools (despite it being made fully illegal from 1996)...should we then also claim that it's "common" here?

the difference is that it is illegal here, and teachers are liable for both prosecution and dismissal, however in some American States it is totally legal, looks like their ignoring Dr Phil's advice, lol. A don't be surprised don't they torture prisoners in guatama bay, or what ever it's called.

*mod note*
    This post is edited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Ayla, please do not reply to this poster. It's clearly a troll :mad:

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Ayla, please do not reply to this poster. It's clearly a troll :mad:

Think your telling your own life story there, it's exactly people like yee, whose kids are running amuck around the place, It's parents who arent bothered diciplining their kids and listening to dr phil crap that has this country ruined. I know that I quoted about paddling in American schools, but is was the American influence that caused smacking to be frowned upon in this country, and now after all this hula balloo about the dangers and effects of smackjing, a new study has emerged where it claims that smacking is beneficial and kids that are smacked grow to be more confident adults, and believe me confidence is a major plus in some ones life

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

*Mod Warning*

Can we everyone act like grown ups and stop making personal attacks on other posters .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

Ayla wrote: »
    But that's my point from my earlier posts:

If you condone a light smack to a misbehaving child, would you condone a light smack to a woman by her partner, or a light smack to a person with disabilities? You cannot seperate the instances, they are the exact same situation, yet so many people think the latter scenarios are appalling (a violation of human rights even) yet lightly smacking a child is ok??? :confused:
    Would you condone a husband sending his wife to a "naughty step" when she "misbehaves"? Or denying her some kind of privilege which he controls as a punishment?

Of course not, because she's an adult, and he's not in charge of her. Parents, however, are in charge of their children, and children are treated differently to adults.

To be honest, I think any kind of disciplining involves something which could be argued is akin to an extremely mild form of "abuse". I'm not sure I really see the distinction in harm between a very light slap and some very light psychological manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I never heard of paddling in schools in America until I saw some programme on tv about it, it may have been Oprah or Dr. Phil and didn't realise that it was legal in some states.

It showed photos of the bruising a child got from such a punishment.

Although it is illegal in this country there are still some teachers that hit pupils in school and they're not all old wans either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

margio wrote: »
    Actually it's not, paddlings as the Americans call it is actually common practice , but obviously it depends on what State your talking about, like I Think it's prevalent in the red nex southern United States, but it's prob outlawed in the other parts like new york , mass, new england, washington etc.

Wexford awake , i know where your coming from, Ireland has gone from a society that disciliplined their children with physical punishment as common practice to the other extreme where kids now are almost disciplining their elders, and all this happened within just one decade. I do feel the threat of physical punshment needs to be there if required. However, l feel as a kid I became immune to my fathers clatters, and being honest a grounding or these days to take away a mobile phone would prob be far more effective than a few slaps., however the threat that I might get a hiding was always in the back of my mind. Fear is a great deterrant, but while kids shouldn't be living in fear of their parents, a fear that for every action their is a consequence must be instilled with them. I Believe that a mixture of smacking and removing personal items should be used as disciplining. For minor discilpline issues like refusing to come to the table for dinner etc a few smacks wouldn't go astray, it's dealt with right there and then, but for more serious issues then a good grounding or better taking away mobile/internet priveleges away is prob best especially wih older kids. BUT Parents always need to know where their kids are, no excuses, they were young themselves once, so their not stupid as to what is going on

Every generation thinks that the next are unruly, undisciplined and much worse than their own, but that's not the case.

I was never smacked but I still obeyed my parents, I was too afraid of 'the look' or them being 'disappointed' to step out of line much. I have no intention of smacking my own children, although I probably would make an exception, and maybe give them a smack on the hand if they were going near the cooker or fire or something dangerous. As a method of discipline though, it's deeply flawed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Smacking? Yes once its moderate and rare. To say one cant ever do it is ridiculous PC nonsense we have all been fed by some veggie eating celebrity on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Smacked mine and they seem to have grown up just fine....
    I make no apologies for it.

I cannot say whether smacking them made them grow up better or not but it was the way we reared ours. I had my eldest almost 18 years ago before the arrival of the TV "Supernannies" , "timeout" or "naughty steps" became common and I had no awareness of these methods.

Advertisement