Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom email protector charge

Options
  • 13-08-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed this charge on my eircom bill recently. As far as I can see, it seems to be yet another sneaky little charge which may not seem very much every month but it adds up at the end of the year all the same.

What I'd like to know, is it possible to have an Eircom email account without having to pay this charge? Or is this basically a charge for having an email account with eircom? I really don't want to keep paying this as I think it's an unnecessary charge to begin with.

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I've noticed this charge on my eircom bill recently. As far as I can see, it seems to be yet another sneaky little charge which may not seem very much every month but it adds up at the end of the year all the same.

What I'd like to know, is it possible to have an Eircom email account without having to pay this charge? Or is this basically a charge for having an email account with eircom? I really don't want to keep paying this as I think it's an unnecessary charge to begin with.

Thanks for your input.

Hi Harry Angstrom,

The e-mail protector service was optional extra eircom offered to protect your e-mail address against unwanted spam and virus'.

If you want to cancel the service you can send an email to -

eircomnetcontracts@eircom.net

Please insure to include the eircom net e-mail address and your name and eircom account number.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Cheers Mark. Thanks for the info.

No problem :)

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The e-mail protector service was optional extra eircom offered to protect your e-mail address against unwanted spam and virus'

You people really charge for this. It's bog standard with all the service providers I deal with.

tricky D wrote: »
    You people really charge for this. It's bog standard with all the service providers I deal with.

Hi tricky D

As I said it was an optional service customers could choose to avail of. I appreciate it is a little dated.

However customers are free to cancel it anytime.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Well, eircom should really provide this by default, most others do. The advantages are obvious for both eircom and customers (saved bandwidth and less wasting of support's time on easily avoidable problems). Anything else is a rip-off and behind the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Well, eircom should really provide this by default, most others do. The advantages are obvious for both eircom and customers (saved bandwidth and less wasting of support's time on easily avoidable problems). Anything else is a rip-off and behind the times.

You seem to be having some difficulty, I hope this clears it up for you
    :p
    op·tion·al - adjective
    1. left to one's choice; not required or mandatory
    2. leaving something to choice.

No difficulty at all. Thanks for the english lesson, I didn't know what optional meant:rolleyes:

Perhaps you are the one having difficulty with the concept of rip-off for what should be standard and is provided by most service providers as standard.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Sorry, you're still not making a great deal of sense

rip·off noun Slang .
    1. an act or instance of ripping off another or others; a theft, cheat, or swindle.
    2. exploitation, especially of those who cannot prevent or counter it.
    3. a copy or imitation.
    4. a person who rips off another or others; thief or swindler.

OK So which definition of rip off do you believe happened here

5. charging for something as an extra when it should be included in the first place.

If you are happy to pay for something you shouldn't really be paying for, then I certainly will not make any sense to you.

• Advertisement

5. charging for something as an extra when it should be included in the first place.

should auxiliary verb
    1. simple past tense of shall.
    2. (used to express condition): Were he to arrive, I should be pleased.
    3. must; ought (used to indicate duty, propriety, or expediency): You should not do that.
    4. would (used to make a statement less direct or blunt): I should think you would apologize
    If you are happy to pay for something you shouldn't really be paying for, then I certainly will not make any sense to you.

should·n't 
    1. contraction of should not. (See above)

You should stop making my points for me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement