Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand Construction jobs

Options
  • 14-08-2011 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

We are interested in the news today that New Zealand will be looking for irish construction workers to help rebuild Christchurch after the Earthquakes. My husband is in construction and as there is little going on here it seems like a good oportunity for us. We have two young girls and all our family in Ireland, so it would be a big move and the thought of it is a little more than daunting! Anyone else thinking of such a move. I would imagine after it being in the news today that there would be a lot of interest and a lot of irish NZ bound, but where to start? Anyone know anything about life in Christchurch area and NZ in general? Education, healthcare, what are the best areas to live in for family life, schools etc?

Would love to hear from anyone else in the same situation or anyone with any knowledge of NZ or Christchurch.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ywool

Hi, we are comtemplating the same move. Construction is dead here for my husband too and feel it is our only option to move. Have checked out visa sites and tried to get some information but it is very difficult...what trade is your husband in...mine is in plumbing...work very scarce at moment and savings running out fast..would also be interested in any information people have to share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lil37

ywool wrote: »
    Hi, we are comtemplating the same move. Construction is dead here for my husband too and feel it is our only option to move. Have checked out visa sites and tried to get some information but it is very difficult...what trade is your husband in...mine is in plumbing...work very scarce at moment and savings running out fast..would also be interested in any information people have to share[/Quote

Hi ywool. My husband is a plasterer. Have you looked at www.constructionjobs.ie. That is the website link on the news yesterday. Yes times v tough here and no light at the end if the tunnel. Hard to know what to do. Also hard to research a place on the Internet without knowing anything about it! Let's hope some people can give us some advice here : )

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PintGuzzler

Hi everyone,

I am a 21 year old Quantity Surveying Graduate...heading off this Thursday coming. Nervous to say the least but excited at the same time.

I was offered my job with Fletcher Construction New Zealand. There was a recruitment evening in Cork around June and they offered me a job there and then.

It would be worth your while following the company on websites such as Linkedin.com as this is where I got word that they were having a recruitment evening. If the same opportunity arises for yer good selves. They will pay for your flights to New Zealand, pay you a very attractive salary and accommodate whatever family you may have as best they can. They are a very reputable company and I imagine will be very good to work for...

If it is a trade job you are looking for there is a recruitment agency called canstaff.nz who are also very helpful and will tell you what you need to know.

Although I have not yet arrived in NZ, I would go as far to say that you are guaranteed a job over there regardless of your credentials.

If you have any further questions I will be alot more informed post 25th August 2011. Please feel free to PM me and I will do the best I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lil37

Thanks pintguzzler! Good luck with the move! We have been in contact with Canstaff and after the initial apication they have moved him on to the next stage. Got the info on what services they provide on arrival also. Waiting to hear further from them. Will also look up Fletcher. Thanks for the advice. Look forward to further posts from you about how you get on once arrived in NZ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Hey guys
    my father is considering the same thing... for successful applicants... can they being their spouses with them? I can't imagine my mother would let dad go on his own :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Battleneter

Lil37 wrote: »
    We are interested in the news today that New Zealand will be looking for irish construction workers to help rebuild Christchurch after the Earthquakes. My husband is in construction and as there is little going on here it seems like a good oportunity for us. We have two young girls and all our family in Ireland, so it would be a big move and the thought of it is a little more than daunting! Anyone else thinking of such a move. I would imagine after it being in the news today that there would be a lot of interest and a lot of irish NZ bound, but where to start? Anyone know anything about life in Christchurch area and NZ in general? Education, healthcare, what are the best areas to live in for family life, schools etc?

Would love to hear from anyone else in the same situation or anyone with any knowledge of NZ or Christchurch.

Thanks in advance!

I Live in Christchurch and work in IT as a Systems Engineer. Without talking too much about stuff you can Google, thought I would make a few comments about life after the quakes.

About 70% of CHCH residential area has little or no damage, however that 30% repair and rebuild will be years of work. There is a lot of Damage in the CBD and de-construction will take about another year to finish before rebuilding picks up steam. Most businesses have taken up every available inch of space in the suburbs and one suspects will dribble back to the CDB over the years as space becomes available.

EQC (New Zealand Earthquake Commission) have been a little slow to pay out which is holding up some work. Private insurers seem to be pretty good, but there are some politics.

Aftershocks are still continuing however are becoing far less frequent but if you come "expect" to feel some. Personally They dont bother me but certainly rattle a few peoples nerves, so I guess judge the type of person you are. In "theory" they will disappear soon and the event won't happen again in many generations.

To rent/Mortage a average house with a family of 5 and pay for the basics you would need a Job(s) that pays NZ$60K in my opinion, and of course anything over that adds to your living standard.

Health and education are pretty good and mostly state funded. Health is great if you have a life threatening car accident, however poor if you need a hip replacement due too long waiting lists for example.

Hope this helps a little, as for me life here is good and I wouldn't live anywhere else, my city is broken and we just need to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

Hi everyone,

I am a 21 year old Quantity Surveying Graduate...heading off this Thursday coming. Nervous to say the least but excited at the same time.

I was offered my job with Fletcher Construction New Zealand. There was a recruitment evening in Cork around June and they offered me a job there and then.

It would be worth your while following the company on websites such as Linkedin.com as this is where I got word that they were having a recruitment evening. If the same opportunity arises for yer good selves. They will pay for your flights to New Zealand, pay you a very attractive salary and accommodate whatever family you may have as best they can. They are a very reputable company and I imagine will be very good to work for...

If it is a trade job you are looking for there is a recruitment agency called canstaff.nz who are also very helpful and will tell you what you need to know.

Although I have not yet arrived in NZ, I would go as far to say that you are guaranteed a job over there regardless of your credentials.

If you have any further questions I will be alot more informed post 25th August 2011. Please feel free to PM me and I will do the best I can.

Hows it all going for you out there pintguzzler?

I'm qualified as a QS, currently living and working in the UK, but I'm putting serious thought into moving to NZ for a couple of years.

Feedback & advice would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sia 1

Lil37 wrote: »

Thanks in advance!
    did ur husband go to nz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 martyharty

hi pintsguzzler,

Was thinking of tryin fletchers or hawkins - was told the money is alright out there , what do you start on ? just finished up college last year . nice one. PM me please:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 barry333

Hello. I am currently in the halfway stage of getting a sponsered job in nz. I have a few questions I hope someone can anwser.. I applied for a glazing job tru fas in nz around sep and am now in round 3 of the process the agency have checked me out, as in history of employment and backround checks etc then it went to round 2 which was nz emigrations checks now im being put to the company and should know in jan if ive been succesful. I have a wife and kids and am currently unemployed 4 yrs hence the need to move.. My main question is who covers the costs as in visa flights accomadation i know they will most likely cover my costs but im unsure if the will cover my dependants costs... Also hoping i can get any useful info on nz as in where to live and what life is really like in nz. I am a little concerned about the quakes but it wouldint put me off as ive little options here now. Any info would be greatly appreciated esp from ppl who have gone tru or are going tru it.
    barry

Advertisement