Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy restaurant in Kinnegad

Options
  • 14-08-2011 5:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

Stopped for lunch in Kinnegad yesterday - had 'lunch' in a restaurant on the main street. It was awful - food was disgusting and overpriced. Toilets were dirty.
    Can I name this place here?
    I didn't complain at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

haha .....its easy 2 guess :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 chatchick

Hate when the food is clearly BAD and it costs an arm and a leg!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Think it's fairly easy to guess alright, I presume its a pub right smack bang in the middle of Kinnegad on your right as u go into the town coming from Dublin!! Terrible alright. U shouldve kept going onto Mullingar, way nicer! or even stopped at the new filling station at enfield on the M4!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Think it's fairly easy to guess alright, I presume its a pub right smack bang in the middle of Kinnegad on your right as u go into the town coming from Dublin!! Terrible alright. U shouldve kept going onto Mullingar, way nicer! or even stopped at the new filling station at enfield on the M4!! :)
    No, opposite side of the street - a small, red restaurant - on your left as you drive up the main street from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Does it start with the letter G??

• Advertisement

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

across from the credit union?

Opposite the Hilamar from what I can gather

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 zulukev

no prize for guessing where you dined but if you had crossed the road to the HILL---R it would have been worse, so you got the lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah the Hilamar, a ghost to the Celtic Tiger with prices to match.

• Advertisement

The H...R? Is that the bigger, hotel - like building next to the church?

I'm not a fussy so and so; wasn't looking for and wasn't expecting haute cuisine, just a decent feed - steak and chips - how can you make a bollock$ of steak and chips? And clean the pissy jacks/change the dirty hand towel.

This 'An G......' place is probably grand as a coffee and scones kinda place but I went in because I thought I'd give them the business - unlike the pub and the hotel they didn't have a licence and I supposed they'd need every customer they can get.

Someone should bring their attention to this thread because if they can't do the basics right then there's only one outcome in this economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

born2bwild wrote: »
    Someone should bring their attention to this thread because if they can't do the basics right then there's only one outcome in this economy.
    Seems like you missed the best time to do it.
    I'm not having a go, I'm as bad myself when it comes to complaining (as are most Irish people), but the best time to say something is when you're actually there so you can show them exactly why you're not happy.

I stayed in the Hilamar a couple of years ago and thought the prices were ridiculously expensive for where it was, so had something in a pub down the road from it, which was alright for pub grub.

I actually had breakfast in the place you're talking about and thought it was quite nice from what I remember.

I think the breakfasts in "An Gra....." are lovely but very overpriced the last time I was there......

If you didnt complain at the time, i would send them a letter, outlining the day you were there and what needs their attention,
    They might even reply and ask you back, nothing ventured, nothing gained if ya ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Breakfasts are good there, couldn't disagree about the toilets.

The Hilamar has good food but it's beyond expensive so I've not been there in over a year or more as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

The best place for a good dinner in Kinnegad is a pub up the road it's brac-ens

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

Stopped for lunch in Kinnegad yesterday - had 'lunch' in a restaurant on the main street. It was awful - food was disgusting and overpriced. Toilets were dirty.
    Can I name this place here?

From reading this thread I have deduced where you are talking about and I am VERY surprised. We moved down here 2 years ago and we are in that restaurant on a regular basis. We would go there at least once a week with our kids for either breakfast, lunch or dinner and we have always found the food to be delicious. I am very fussy about my food and I have a back ground in food and cooking and ran my own kitchen for two years in London, so I would like to think I know good food when I taste it. I have always found the place clean and the service very pleasant so much so I even had a birthday breakfast there with 30 of my friends, who all enjoyed the food and their was no complaints.

Like said I am very shocked at your opinion, I would never have thought that place would get such a bad review. However, I will say this, if you were not happy with what you got and the condition of the toilets, why didn't you complain? Seems a bit cowardly to post it here but not air your grievances to the proprietors so that they have a chance to rectify the "problems" you encountered. If you had complained and returned to find nothing had changed then I would be a lot more inclined to entertain you bashing of this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

binxeo wrote: »
    From reading this thread I have deduced where you are talking about and I am VERY surprised. We moved down here 2 years ago and we are in that restaurant on a regular basis. We would go there at least once a week with our kids for either breakfast, lunch or dinner and we have always found the food to be delicious. I am very fussy about my food and I have a back ground in food and cooking and ran my own kitchen for two years in London, so I would like to think I know good food when I taste it. I have always found the place clean and the service very pleasant so much so I even had a birthday breakfast there with 30 of my friends, who all enjoyed the food and their was no complaints.

Like said I am very shocked at your opinion, I would never have thought that place would get such a bad review. However, I will say this, if you were not happy with what you got and the condition of the toilets, why didn't you complain? Seems a bit cowardly to post it here but not air your grievances to the proprietors so that they have a chance to rectify the "problems" you encountered. If you had complained and returned to find nothing had changed then I would be a lot more inclined to entertain you bashing of this place.
    Not many others "shocked" at their opinion. And then to call them cowardly and accuse them of bashing,:mad: your post is very very defensive and if you are as as fussy as you say you are then i suggest you vote with your feet as I do. No need to pay for inferior food when better is a short walk away:D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

time lord wrote: »
    Not many others "shocked" at their opinion. And then to call them cowardly and accuse them of bashing,:mad: your post is very very defensive and if you are as as fussy as you say you are then i suggest you vote with your feet as I do. No need to pay for inferior food when better is a short walk away:D

Firstly not many others are me!!!

Secondly, they did bash the place and were cowardly for not speaking up there and then when they had the chance.

Thirdly I do not think my post is defensive, I have nothing to defend, it is simply direct.

And finally the only other places bar the hotel (which it has been established is not the best) for food in Kinnegad are pubs and I will not be bringing my children to a pub for their food!!!!!!!! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's not against boards rules to complain about an experience you had (including naming said company/business), unless the poster is clearly trying to shill his own business or something.

Also, to contribute, I haven't been there in almost 4/5 years and the last time I was there the food and service was great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I havent been in there for a while, tend to keep on the motorway these days and by pass Kinnegad but I have enjoyed quite a few meals in the place mentioned in the op.

They do need more toilets for the amount of traffic that place sees and they consequently should do more frequent towel changes and cleaning. So I do agree there.

The staff I have always found to be friendly and the food to be a bit like home cooking with a selection of roast dishes and comforting deserts like rice pudding, trifle and apple pie.
    Lovely food the last time I was there, not the stick it in the frier or microwave usual fare you find on the road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement