Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if I hate it :(

• 14-08-2011 6:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I have been accepted into an Applied Animal Science course following my LCA. And for the last few weeks all I can think of is all the other jobs I would like do, and what am I going to do if I hate my course. I know well how indecisive I am and now its starting to consume me. I feel like I have made a huge mistake in the courses I applied for and now I don't know what to do.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There will be people in your college who will advise you what to do. It is not the end of the world if you find you have made the wrong choice.

It's natural to be worried about how things will go, but to be honest, a lot of the worrying is your time of life. The whole world is ahead of you and it is YOU who will decide what path you'll take. If you find the course isn't what you wanted/wished for, talk to your tutors in college, they will help you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I don't think people doing Leaving exams realise just how many people change their minds/drop out of courses/ move courses in their first or even second year. It's not a major no-no, it happens all the time.

So if you do hate it OP, you won't be the first to have changed your mind, and you certainly won't be the last. Your path is by no means set in stone by the course choice you made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Thanks for the advice guys, still freaking out but not as much, just going to give it a go and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Yep you're normal! That's the time of life it is when it comes down to decision making. Is that a plc course you've been accepted into? If so definitely don't worry about it, its only 9months of your life, the chance to study something you evidently have an interest in. So just enjoy it and make sure you pass it. That's no confining you to any one area afterwards. These days people often have 3/4/5 different careers as they go through life and interests and opportunities change. You wont be stuck at all. Supposing you end up looking for a job in a couple of years time in an area that a million miles removed from your original course all an employer will want to know is that you worked hard at it and passed it. So look forward to college and all the possibilities from there.

kob29 wrote: »
    Yep you're normal! That's the time of life it is when it comes down to decision making. Is that a plc course you've been accepted into? If so definitely don't worry about it, its only 9months of your life, the chance to study something you evidently have an interest in. So just enjoy it and make sure you pass it. That's no confining you to any one area afterwards. These days people often have 3/4/5 different careers as they go through life and interests and opportunities change. You wont be stuck at all. Supposing you end up looking for a job in a couple of years time in an area that a million miles removed from your original course all an employer will want to know is that you worked hard at it and passed it. So look forward to college and all the possibilities from there.

Thanks very much for that, really helpful to know that I am not alone. And yes that is a PLC. Since my post I have actually been offered the same course but in the college of my choice and even though I have already paid my entrance fee to the other place I am still going to forfeit it and go with my no.1. I honestly feel I will be much happier their and am now looking forward to the whole experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Congratulations on the new offer. You may very well be able to get your entrance fee back or transferred to the other college. Definitely ring the college you've paid and put pressure on them for this.

kob29 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the new offer. You may very well be able to get your entrance fee back or transferred to the other college. Definitely ring the college you've paid and put pressure on them for this.

When I paid it I was told it was non-refundable. I will give them a buzz though and see if they might just budge. I still have receipt.

Advertisement