Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Mini

Options
  • 14-08-2011 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I am looking at getting a replacement phone, in particular an android, I prefer not to get into a contract (prefer to stay that way) and don't really have big money to spend on one anyway. I'm also with Tesco and prefer not to change (but wont rule that out) as I know people on the same network, hence I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy Mini and possibly the LG optimus ME P350, which are available.

From reviews, it suggests the Samsung limited to the apps it can use ? because of the screen resolution?
    I'm unsure why the screen resolution would affect the apps the phone can run as I thought it would be an issue of processing power or something like that?

From

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_mini_s5570-review-578.php
    Main disadvantages

• Low screen resolution limits choice of apps
    • Fixed focus camera
    • No secondary video-call camera
    • No flash, no dedicated camera key
    • Poor video recording QVGA @ 15fps
    I can see from
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_mini_s5570-3725.php
    &
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_me_p350-3735.php

that other possible option (the LG optimus ME P350) has a smaller screen but the same pixels (so better resolution?) and it also has an auto focus camera. I don't think no auto focus on the samsung will be an issue as camera quality pictures or vidoes isn't a big issue for me now (I'd just prefer to go for the best option).

Mostly I'm unsure if there are certain apps I will not be able to run, that might be interesting or useful (I'm thinking of playing around with it to see if i can get any remote control/automation and maybe some motor related apps, if thats possible, bearing in mind I haven't come across them and this is my first step into android or apps)

It also says it doesnt support Flash (neither of the above do) is this a biggie? and I'm also wondering if it would be possible to update to newer versions of android (gingerbread?) or is that not possible or worth it, unless the hardware is suitable (ie processor etc)

Is there another alternative phone that is out there or is coming out soon? that current users/the android community is aware? that would be at least relatively cheap (not 400+, maybe 200) but has good features where these phones fall down?

look forward to opinions/replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You can get the Samsung Galaxy Ace or HTC Wildfire S for around the 200e mark. You can't expect to buy a cheap Android phone and expect it to do what one for 400+ will do. You will be limited in terms of apps, updates and speed, but if your budget is a restriction, the Galaxy Mini is nice for the money and good value. Will work fine for the likes of Facebook, Twitter, Email etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

chrislad wrote: »
    You can get the Samsung Galaxy Ace or HTC Wildfire S for around the 200e mark. You can't expect to buy a cheap Android phone and expect it to do what one for 400+ will do. You will be limited in terms of apps, updates and speed, but if your budget is a restriction, the Galaxy Mini is nice for the money and good value. Will work fine for the likes of Facebook, Twitter, Email etc.

I'll look up those phones, didnt see the galaxy ace available, but will look again. I dont expect to get a cheaper phone to do the things a more expensive one will do, but was wondering if anyone that has/had one or has experience/opinion, could tell me if the disadvantages described above are as limiting as the review websites suggest?
    I'd be more thinking of the use for phone/organiser-calender/apps/, not facebook/twitter, not interested in the latter certainly :) maybe check up facebook and search for stuff online and use maps and gps for use on foot.
    I've been told by someone with a galaxy s2 that its good (too rich for me) but that the gps/maps isn't good enough for use in a car as it tells you about a turn when you are on it and not before.

I am utterly opposed to Apple in any shape or form :D but too dear for me anyway.

edit, I dont think the europa is an android, so apps would be out??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The GPS on android (via the free Navigator app) is quite good. It's relies on a data connection (though I think offline storage is working in the new version) but turn by turn is pretty good.

• Advertisement

can anyone explain why a low resolution screen affects the type of apps you can use? the screen is just presenting the information, surely apps is more to do with the processing power

Just been looking at the reviews of the wildfire s and the galaxy ace, both seem pretty good, up in price from what I planned but, but I'd prefer to have something slightly better so I dont end up spending money and then finding I'd have preferred the better phone, all that and the galaxy mini still looks good for the money.

Looking for some help to push me in the right direction, re opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Merch wrote: »
    can anyone explain why a low resolution screen affects the type of apps you can use? the screen is just presenting the information, surely apps is more to do with the processing power

Its the resolution, QVGA (320×240) some android applications may not be written to work at that resolution. A lot of the budget phones have this resolution. Its a dilemma I was having. The alternative is the X8 which HVGA (480×320) which is more standard and thus more compatible. However its stuck on android 2.1 and unlikely to get an official update. So you may run into apps which are only compatible with later versions of android. The Galaxy mini is on Android 2.2 I think.

I have no idea which is more a of a problem. The screen res, or the old version of android. Personally I'm thinking of the X8 simply because I like a bigger screen. Though it seems obsolescence though not getting updates to the latest android version seems to be problem for almost all android handsets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_display_resolutions

Advertisement