Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belclare vs Lleyn

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Can you pm details as well? Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Som69

Thanks jt. I also got a number of another breeder who I had heard good reviews of his rams. I'll mail them onto those who wanted the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Som69 wrote: »
    Thanks jt. I also got a number of another breeder who I had heard good reviews of his rams. I'll mail them onto those who wanted the number.

could you pass that number to me as well

looks like I won't make the tullamore sale after all :(

some family function arranged that I must attend :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

the belclare sheep website has the dates of all their sales around the country, might be a sale in a local mart at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Som69

jt65 wrote: »
    could you pass that number to me as well

looks like I won't make the tullamore sale after all :(

some family function arranged that I must attend :o

I have sent you on that phone number. Unfortunate to miss the sale but in my opinion I have found that by buying privately you can get more information off of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I have used both on on strong black Suffolk ewes in recent years. My preference is the belclare. Bigger stronger replacements and huge lift in lamb crop. I lamb them as ewe lambs.
    I found the llyen ram lambs hard to. Finish and the ewe lambs set and too small.
    Won't be popular for saying this but my preference for a ram for replacements is a belclare Suffolk cross ram.
    You don't want too much belclare blood or you would be fooked up with the multiple births.

Ive ended up with lambing rates of about 1.3 weaned this year , so could go with the belclare influence upping that ratio for me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jaykir

Som69 wrote: »

Could you send the no onto me aswell please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

jaykir wrote: »
    Could you send the no onto me aswell please

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jaykir

Thanks for that Som69, going to have a look at their rams on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

Sorry for reigniting an old thread but anybody got any updated opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭roosky

DJ98 wrote: »
    Sorry for reigniting an old thread but anybody got any updated opinions?

I run Lleyns and find them fine, no world beaters but grand, ram lambs can be leggy, the belclare i have will give more lambs pushing you from the scan of 1.8 of a lleyn to a scan of 2 with the belclare.

Belclare also have better confirmation as they are approx 40% texel.

Remember the belclare is just pretty much a lleyn with better confirmation and more lambs

Run the Lleyns here as well. Reckon the belclare are probably abit bigger, and will give you a marginally better lamb crop. In the flip side, the belclare are probably a softer animal and won’t have as good feet either. A good one of either breed is probably what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

roosky wrote: »
    I run Lleyns and find them fine, no world beaters but grand, ram lambs can be leggy, the belclare i have will give more lambs pushing you from the scan of 1.8 of a lleyn to a scan of 2 with the belclare.

Belclare also have better confirmation as they are approx 40% texel.

Remember the belclare is just pretty much a lleyn with better confirmation and more lambs

Lleyn is known as an ''old mans sheep'' not too heavy, good feet and won't flood the place with lambs.....belclare is for progressive farmers, scans of 2.4/2.5 possible if well looked after, they're great milkers too and have to be well fed while milking or they take a long time to build up after weaning

Found the belclare tended to burn themselves out quicker as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

tried the LLeyns here & wasn't too impressed

using belclare now and criss crossing with texel, suffolk & this year hope to X with either rouge, roubex (spelling ? ) or possibly beltex , hopefully by next year we will have a fully self contained flock.

we used to buy in replacements but found we were importing hardship

use hampshire down on the early lambing flock , with replacements sourced from the mid season & CH on the ewe lambs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

orm0nd wrote: »

using belclare now and criss crossing with texel, suffolk & this year hope to X with either rouge, roubex (spelling ? ) or possibly beltex , hopefully by next year we will have a fully self contained flock.

we used to buy in replacements but found we were importing hardship

use hampshire down on the early lambing flock , with replacements sourced from the mid season & CH on the ewe lambs
    How do the belclare ram lambs from the Suffolk/ Texel ewes preform

Found a huge amount lot of variation in both Lleyns and belclare breeds. Pick your breed and keep tweaking , till you find what suits your setup and yourself.

How do the belclare ram lambs from the Suffolk/ Texel ewes preform

A slightly slower finish. But very good kill out percentage. Mostly R3 and R2. Once they stop growing they flesh up quickly. Would be ideal for butchers.

I dont know if this link will work if you not logged into Twitter

https://twitter.com/gaulstownfarms/status/1010260898953465859

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I dont know if this link will work if you not logged into Twitter

https://twitter.com/gaulstownfarms/status/1010260898953465859

Whats he going to-do for replacements if the belclare and lleyn rams are going? Would he not just keep a maternal ram for 25%of the flock and a terminal ram for the rest?

Whats he going to-do for replacements if the belclare and lleyn rams are going? Would he not just keep a maternal ram for 25%of the flock and a terminal ram for the rest?

He won't be long going back when his flock starts to lose some of their maternal traits

I always thought that was a sensible option. He’ll need to find the maternal genes in his ewes from somewhere. Maybe his going to buy in all his replacements instead. But that ain’t without problems either.
    Seperately , hope the open day went well yesterday ? Anyone go ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

wrangler wrote: »
    Was planning on going myself. I was bolusing lambs but found a few with maggots and the old fella was messing around checking ewes teeth and delayed me. Had sheep in before 7am and all. Was raging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

I always thought that was a sensible option. He’ll need to find the maternal genes in his ewes from somewhere. Maybe his going to buy in all his replacements instead. But that ain’t without problems either.
    Seperately , hope the open day went well yesterday ? Anyone go ?

I was there awful nice fella :) 😂

Cran wrote: »
    I was there awful nice fella :) ��

I always like to see a pedigree flock that isn't just a hobby flock...ie It's an advantage if the stock rams are tried and tested in the breeders commercial flock.

Advertisement