Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for soundproofing

Options
  • 14-08-2011 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭

They say you cant pick your neighbours, so a little advice on soundproofing would be great!

I really like my new apartment which I bought awhile ago. All my neighbors are great and quiet, except for one which who is in the apartment below me. I dont mind noise during the day, but at night I want to sleep not be woken up.

Now she's never had a party at night, I dont mind her having people over in the evenings as they tend to go to a pub at about 11pm which is fine (and within leasehold restrictions). However, she tends to come back at about 4am and slams doors, before chatting in her kitchen for about an hour at which point she finally shuts up and goes to bed (slamming doors again). This wakes me up as I grew up in the country and most things wake me up. I cant hear what shes saying, its not THAT loud, but its a background rumble that you kind of tune in on rather than sleeping.

I'm not going to be able to stop this as I cant really, I dont think, complain about someone coming in to her own apartment and talking at night. Besides, who is going to listen to me?

Any advice so on soundproofing a room? Will a carpet in my bedroom make a difference? Any other tips? I own the place and will go to lengths to make the bedroom quiet. Insulation on the floor? Crazy ideas would be appreciated too.

Who would I complain to if things get worse? Obviously I dont want to say "Hi this is Chris in Apartment X, do you mind keeping it down at night" as she will probably laugh and make just as much noise the next time. Would a note in her letterbox (anonymously written) be a good starting point? Or would it be better to go through the Caretaker about it, only if it gets worse?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You can get a thin sound proofing layer for the floor and then put carpet on top.

Those will definitely reduce the sound being transmitted up.

Hopefully that will help enough and not cost much.

Other than that, you could always just have a word with her which would be a lot more polite than an anonymous note.

Advertisement