Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switching from Airtricity to ESB

• 14-08-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I am considering switching my electricity & gas back to ESB after being with Airtricity for approx. two years.

Presently, my electricity bill is approx. €90 per month (VAT included), which seems excessive, at a rate of 0.1325 per unit, just wondering what saving can be made if I was to do so, in relation to percentage saving as well as cost per unit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Hi, I am considering switching my electricity & gas back to ESB after being with Airtricity for approx. two years.

Presently, my electricity bill is approx. €90 per month (VAT included), which seems excessive, at a rate of 0.1325 per unit, just wondering what saving can be made if I was to do so, in relation to percentage saving as well as cost per unit.

Any help would be appreciated.

I did the same six months ago, my bill was about the same as yours. Now its nearly double that. Unit charges are only part of the bill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Mark

Hi everyone,

Switching to ESB Electric Ireland is easy, all we require would be your MPRN number, which would be located on your electricity bill regardless of supplier, a meter reading, and the direct debit details. You can make the switch by calling us today on 1850 30 50 90. You can also make the switch online at the link below:

https://www.esbelectricireland.ie/sw...ange/entry.htm

We are currently offering up to 14% off our standard electricity prices, and up to 17% off electricity and 6% off gas if you switch both. Specific price information can be viewed at this link:

https://www.esbelectricireland.ie/sw...icePlansIE.htm

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask smile.gif

Thanks,
    Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Offy wrote: »
    I did the same six months ago, my bill was about the same as yours. Now its nearly double that. Unit charges are only part of the bill!

Can you explain how your bill doubled with the same usage? Finding that hard to comprehend, regardless of standing charges (which are similar anyway?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Posters, a reminder that this is the ESB Electric Ireland customer service and support forum, not a general advertising and discussion forum for other electricity providers. Keep such discussions to more appropriate forums.

If you are considering a change of electricity provider, then just check the unit price, and the standing charge cost. All providers list these prices on their websites. Mark has linked to Electric Ireland's above.

Incorrect meter readings are the most common cause of shock-bills. Check your meter, and compare to what's on your bill. There is no reason why switching provider should cause your bill to double, as none of the providers in Ireland charge twice as much (or half as much) as another. Either your usage increased, or your meter reading was over estimated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭derkav

Hi, I am on airtricity and use the payment plan system. so I pay 84 per month there are no surprises for me which is perfect. Do ESB offer a similar Scheme for payments? This is the only thing holding me to airtricity.

• Advertisement

Hi derkav,

We have equaliser payments system, whereby a set amount is paid monthly by direct debit. The amount payable is calculated by monitoring your electricity usage. When you make the switch, you would need to wait until you receive the first bill, and at that stage you can call us in order to avail of the equaliser system. The amount payable is reviewed periodically, based on the electricity usage.

If you have any further questions please do not hesistate to ask icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Mark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭derkav

Hi Mark,

Thats great. Now all I need is to get ESB to call me back. Ive submitted a call back request twice but have still heard nothing. Ill try again.

Thanks

Hi derkav,

Apologies for the delay in calling you back, but we are experiencing large volumes of callback requests. However, if you would like, you can PM the details and I can make the switch for you. The details we require would be your name, address, contact telephone number, MPRN (and your GPRN if you are looking to switch gas also, these can be found on your bills), meter readings and the details for the direct debit.

Alternatively, you can call us on 1850 30 50 90 and make the switch by phone. You can also make the switch online at this link.

If you have further questions, please ask :)

Thanks,
    Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Hi derkav,

We have equaliser payments system, whereby a set amount is paid monthly by direct debit. The amount payable is calculated by monitoring your electricity usage. When you make the switch, you would need to wait until you receive the first bill, and at that stage you can call us in order to avail of the equaliser system. The amount payable is reviewed periodically, based on the electricity usage.

If you have any further questions please do not hesistate to ask icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

Similar query...have been with Airtricity for two years and thinking of switching back. Regarding the equaliser, what is the current billing frequency; how long until the first bill and the equaliser is established.

Thanks.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi johnb25,

The billing frequency is monthly.

UPDATE: If you make the switch to ESB Electric Ireland, it would be more beneficial to wait the approximate two-month period until your first bill is issued, before setting up Equaliser - this way we would have a more accurate gauge of your usage.

Regards :)
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

14.8% rise on electric. Thats the biggest rise in the market despite Electric Ireland already being the most expensive in the country for electric for those that have not already changed, or realised they had to apply for a discount. deary deary me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

just got my first esb electric ireland bill and am disgusted.... the discount is now only 6% for electric despite signing up for up to 14%... this is before their 14% increase next month... my advice dont bother.. airtricity and bord gais are now cheaper..... and they never notifiied me that i was actually signing up for 4% with 2% extra for online billing....the 14% discount is gone with effect from 26Th august!!!!

Hi channelsurfer2,

Our price plans have recently changed, however if you have signed up to the previous Supersaver price plan (14% with direct debit and online billing), you will still be receiving those discounts until March 31st 2012.

If you signed up for the Supersaver price plan and believe you are not receiving the full 14%, please PM me the details and I will look into this for you.

Thanks,
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

pm sent....

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cazzgirl

Can Anyone tell mw Who is actually the cheapest for Electricity now, Im confused :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi cazzgirl,

Although there is a price rise due in October (see here for details), currently ESB Electric Ireland has the lowest electricity rates.

For a comparison of the various rates across providers (gas and electricity) bonkers.ie is a good resource.

Hope this helps,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Gixerboy

Don't be too hasty !

I too was going to swap,.. and I'll keep on swapping as long as I still make a saving. The last time I swapped over to Airtricity was on 29th Oct 2010,.. for both Gas and Electricity,.. I'm still under contract and if I swap before 29th Oct 2011 I'll face a TERMINATION FEE of over €100,.. I'll wait and reassess later

ESB couldn't tell me about Airtricity's terms - so I enquired directly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

I am reading the sites and this is complicated...esb is 16cents per kw? and what does standing charge of 28.60 imply is that cent per day or euro per month or what? If you do not use much electricity then who would be the cheapest? day and night rate? O dear my little head is spinning fast enough to empower a turbine.
    Is that esb price gonna change? or did that change and they do not mention this on their site?
    Airtricity seems to be 17.97 cents per kwh and then 36.33 cents per day for standing charges all including tax.

Hi Anita M.

At the moment, our unit price is 16c (incl. vat), or 14.1c (ex. vat) for a customer on a standard 24 hour tariff. This does not take into account the October 1st price increase; when the times come we will adjust our rates accordingly (for more details on the increase, see here).

The standing charge of 28.6c (incl. vat) is a per-day rate. It comprises of ESB Electric Ireland costs which relate to billing and collection and ESB Network costs which are associated with meter reading and the cost of operating and maintaining the electricity network.
    Anita M. wrote:
    If you do not use much electricity then who would be the cheapest? day and night rate?

The standing charge is higher if you are a Nightsaver customer, as is the day rate, so if you have very little usage it may not prove beneficial. That said, it really depends on when you use electricity. In general, to make a saving on this tariff, roughly a quarter of your usage would need to be in the hours of 12am-9am in summertime, or 11pm-8am in wintertime.

If you need any more help let me know.

Thanks,

David.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

Well I just found out that from October prices will be the same for esb and airtricity. But I never received back 600 euro that I was due to receive back over 5 years ago. This was with ESB. I am still awaiting that but when I want a new account opened then I have to pay again without the 600 euro being taken into account. Why is that? So I am more inclined to go to airtricity.

• Advertisement

Hi Anita M.

Can you PM me your account details (plus your date of birth and contact number for data protection) so I can investigate this for you?

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭you2008

Here is what I analysed for Oct new rate-standard 24 hour tariff, any mistake? Free to add it!
    ESB incl vat (No contract Direct Debit receive bills by email only)
    Unit Rate:17.6448 cent per kwh
    Standing Charge:32.83 cent per day
    Airtricity incl vat (No contract Direct Debit receive bills by email only)
    Unit Rate:15.99 cent per kwh
    Standing Charge:36.33 cent per day

you2008 wrote: »
    Here is what I analysed for Oct new rate-standard 24 hour tariff, any mistake? Free to add it!
    ESB incl vat (No contract Direct Debit receive bills by email only)
    Unit Rate:17.6448 cent per kwh
    Standing Charge:32.83 cent per day
    Airtricity incl vat (No contract Direct Debit receive bills by email only)
    Unit Rate:15.99 cent per kwh
    Standing Charge:36.33 cent per day

Hi you2008,

For the purposes of calculation, your figures are correct. But it is important to be aware that discounts are applied on the overall amount of the units, not the actual unit rate itself. So, with our ValueSaver and ValueReward price plan, the rate you see on the bill will still be 16.19c per unit (or 18.38c inc. VAT, however the rate on the bill is always Ex. VAT). The discounts for direct debit (4%), online billing (2%) and the dual fuel discount (3%) are then applied. So, for example purposes, if 1000 units are used in a billing period by the standard 24 hour meter, the price of your units would come to €161.90. The discounts are then applied to this figure.

I hope this helps and if there are further questions please don't hesitate to ask :)

Regards,
    Mark

Hi you2008,

For the purposes of calculation, your figures are correct. But it is important to be aware that discounts are applied on the overall amount of the units, not the actual unit rate itself. So, with our ValueSaver and ValueReward price plan, the rate you see on the bill will still be 16.19c per unit (or 18.38c inc. VAT, however the rate on the bill is always Ex. VAT). The discounts for direct debit (4%), online billing (2%) and the dual fuel discount (3%) are then applied. So, for example purposes, if 1000 units are used in a billing period by the standard 24 hour meter, the price of your units would come to €161.90. The discounts are then applied to this figure.

I hope this helps and if there are further questions please don't hesitate to ask :)

Regards,
    Mark

Hi
    Thanks for reply! I don’t understand what are you talk about? Are you telling me ESB is cheaper? Ok, as you said --- 18.38c inc. VAT for 1000 unit, it cost €183.8 and apply 4% plus 2% discount (total 6%), we have 183.8*94% = 172.772, €172.772/ 1000 units = 17.27C, it is not cheap no matter what way you look at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

A very helpful resource for comparing utility prices is the Irish website Bonkers.ie :)

A very helpful resource for comparing utility prices is the Irish website Bonkers.ie :)

Thanks for the web site, as I already use them any way!
    There no need to be ashamed to admit that ESB is the most expensive supplier in Ireland. I think you just can’t face it!!

Advertisement