Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agee/ Disagree

Options
  • 14-08-2011 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Anyone agree or disagree with this?

english9149.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Anyone agree or disagree with this?

english9149.jpg
    Disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

This is an area where unfortunately the charter is hazy. The forum does not purport to cover the discussion of any supposed right to own a firearm or the potential use of firearms for personal protection or in any capacity against another person. However, there is an essential grain of truth in that there is no demonstrable link between numbers or types of privately licensed firearms and violent crime. The problem is that in forming the legislation which governs our use of firearms for sports, the legislature is attempting to have an influence on violent crime, which it doesn't do. The two areas have no real overlap. In addition, there's an issue with the claim in that the operative arming of the police and whether they have firearms has no link to whether private individuals have firearms. In other words, I think the poster in question is attempting to insinuate that there's a link between the "disarming" of the populace (I own firearms - I do not consider myself to be "armed") and the rise in violent crime, when no such link has ever been demonstrated. There is a more subtle point hidden in it which is of far greater significance, which is that reducing the numbers of privately held firearms does nothing to curb violent crime, which is a much more complex issue, and all it does is make a diversionary scapegoat of legitimate firearms users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

In August 1900
    Robert Leroy Parker (aka Butch Cassidy), Harry Longabaugh (aka The Sundance Kid and other members of "The Wild Bunch" staged their third train robbery, taking control of Union Pacific train No. 3 at Tipton, Wyoming, robbing the express car of $45,000 and successfully escaping......

August 23, 1900 (Thursday)The Union Jack was hoisted over Choiseul Island, an 1,147-square-mile (2,970 km2) island in the Solomon Islands, and a British protectorate was declared. Shortland Island had been claimed the day before

Moral
    Times were VERY different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement