Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike rollers vs. turbo trainer

Options
  • 14-08-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I'd seen photos of bike rollers in various magazines, and took a look at a couple of videos on youtube of someone using them thismorning.

Are they a replacement for a turbo trainer, or something you'd also use? Looking at the setup they make you responsible for balance of the bike etc. (which surely takes some of the boredom out of turbo sessions, aswell as making the training a bit more road-specific), and sounds like they're a lot quieter than a turbo too.

So, im curious: have you used them in tri training, what are they good/bad for? Would you use them to replace the turbo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Alot of people love rollers.

However I wouldn't go for them myself. Ones that have variable resistance are rare and expensive.

If your turbo is boring the problem is not the turbo but the sets you are doing. (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

the turbo is fixed in place, resistance can be altered and you can do any type of sprint/power interval you want. Most say that rollers are difficult to use and only good for spinning. Have used both and eventually sold my turbo. Rollers are far more involved and you need to be switched on at all times to use them. The only intervals you can't do on them are sprint....rollers with a resistance unit cost about 300e....not much more expensive than a good turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I'll keep my eyes peeled and if I spot them anywhere in person see if I can give em a go sometime. They've got my interst, but 300quid is a bit hefty for a punt when I already have a turbo. My current turbo trainer is a tackx satori, and I've been having gear envy when I see things like the computrainers and even trainers with some built in power measurements. All last winter I found HR a pain to cycle by, it took too long to respond and settle when doing intervals which was a bit frustrating.

Advertisement