Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zero to .... ???

• 14-08-2011 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Well anything above zero will be a bonus....

I'm not really setting out to win the Rás Ireland or anything and I'm sure some people my think the milage i do / average speed isn't up to much but I'm not really doing this to be able to do 150km cycles or do 30mph averages, if i can along the road great but it's not my main aim, my main aim is to get back to a decent level of fitness as it's really gone downhill the last few years. I'm only 27 but kicking the arse of 100 Kg's so i better do something....

My stead is a cheapish hybrid, Jupiter Tuscan, I find it grand it'll do my job rightly...

283856_2255126253450_1107145037_32685996_1451636_n.jpg

I have been out a few times since I got it short spins round my local backroads, but there are lots of shart sharp hills and I found myself wrecked after a few miles ( runkeeper ) I've even had to stop around about 6 mile mark on the above :o.

Today I decided to try the main road (I thought i'd be out of place ie. not in cycling gear or proper bike) but i actually enjoyed it found myself ticking along nicely and done a time which I was happy enough with, despite the very heavy shower about 2/3 of the way through, it may only have been 12 miles but sure ya have to start somewhere, I think it's more main roads from now on ( runkeeper ) the hill's don't seem as severe and your not watching out for potholes ect. Anyways thats it for now....

And ohhhhh I now officailly hate wind! I always heard cyclist's talking about it, but never realised how much it effects you, at times you feel like your climbing everest even though you going downhill, ha ha.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Well done homer - keep it up :) I started cycling about 2months ago and 10km was my limit. Just yesterday I did 54km which I was delighted with. Set yourself a goal such as a sportiv and that will really keep you motivated (especially if it is a fundraiser for something and people sponsor you...that really kept me going in the early days:P)

Mel.b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

mel.b wrote: »
    Well done homer - keep it up :) I started cycling about 2months ago and 10km was my limit. Just yesterday I did 54km which I was delighted with. Set yourself a goal such as a sportiv and that will really keep you motivated (especially if it is a fundraiser for something and people sponsor you...that really kept me going in the early days:P)

Mel.b

Cheer's Mel, yeah i should set myself some sort of goal. I might take a snoop around some of the local club sites to see if any sportiv's will suit.

Back to the bike for me today again, I play footy on a tuesday evening so give myself a day off either side of it, so I don't burn myself out untill I get more used to the bike I did intend to go out yersterday but was wrecked after work :o.

11.5 mile's - 53.47 mins, happy enough with that, near the middle of the route there is an old railway banking (grass) between the lough and a man made basin and was really slow over there (6 or so MPH) as its was very rough but nice and relaxing too. The climb back home again isn't getting any easier but for the rest of the route I felt quite good might go a wee bit longer near the end of the week to see how i get on... runkeeper

P.S. I notice on Runkeeper that it doesn't like the wee road from my house to the main road (going either direction) and take a 1 mile detour, which is a farm lane ??? Its annoying as it buggers up my average speed, so I'll just use distances from my speedo in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

^you can manually edit the map, and just drag it onto the road you took. It will automatically adjust for distance and stuff. What are you using to track your spins? An iPhone or droid by anychance? I'm just curious, as my iPhone isn't sending any of the rides or runs I do to my profile at the moment.

Also, I was curious who you were when you joined my streetteam ;)

^you can manually edit the map, and just drag it onto the road you took. It will automatically adjust for distance and stuff. What are you using to track your spins? An iPhone or droid by anychance? I'm just curious, as my iPhone isn't sending any of the rides or runs I do to my profile at the moment.

Also, I was curious who you were when you joined my streetteam ;)

Not using anything at present to track spins, a relative of mines was thinking about upgrading his GPS / speedo to a garmin so I have my eye on that:D but in the meantime I manually Plot the map myself, it seems to think that the road is doesn't connect, I've tried to use a few diffent mapping sites and they all do the same thing unfortunently, its a pity because its ony a 200 meter stretch of road its thinks isnt there, and goes on the wee detour!

Thanks for accepting ;) I find its a good gauge, although I'm only starting, when I see other people route's but moreso to see what I should be looking to get closer to as regards average speed ect ( I could ask a few relatives but that would be too much work for now because the next thing said will be sure come out for a spin with us, and I aint ready for that just yet).

I think I'm going to set myself a goal of a 50km or so (as suggested by mel.b above) before the clocks change, wee bit ambitious maybe given my fitness level's but I'll push hard to get it. I have an option of a good few clubs though so not Joined one yet, was thinking north pole club, the club my relatives are in, but there are other clubs, four masters / errigal club / foyle club which are close to me too and seemed more geared towards noobs like me, I've fired off a few e-mails I'll see what they say sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

Hi Homer Simpson :) welcome to our world haha, I started on 1st June, am much older than you and also carrying way too much weight and bit by bit I have worked myself up. Yesterday I done 75km with 3 hard climbs. I could barely get up an incline when I started. The hills are still tough going but even only yesterday I conquered another 1 which I had to get off the bike a few times before. Its funny because the more you go out and cycle the easier it gets and the further you go and the braver you become.....that is what happened with me and now I am really looking forward to do the Sean Kelly 90km in 2 weeks time. best of luck with it all

Not much done the last weekend due to an ear infection + glandular fever :( Done 3 wee 4.5 mile route's 20 /22 and 23rd wasn't feeling the best all week but still pushed out a 12 mile route, was wrecked after it (the day my earache started)

Went out for 4 mile this moring and thought i was going to die so i'll leave it anther few days before i venture out again, that and i find myself all over the shop balance wise for some reson! Its awfull frustrating, as just when I thought i might up the distance to closer to 20 mile i can barely do 4 miles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Not much done the last weekend due to an ear infection + glandular fever :( Done 3 wee 4.5 mile route's 20 /22 and 23rd wasn't feeling the best all week but still pushed out a 12 mile route, was wrecked after it (the day my earache started)

Went out for 4 mile this moring and thought i was going to die so i'll leave it anther few days before i venture out again, that and i find myself all over the shop balance wise for some reson! Its awfull frustrating, as just when I thought i might up the distance to closer to 20 mile i can barely do 4 miles!

Hey Homer, if have/had an ear infection then that is most likely what has affected your balance as your vestibular system is in your inner ear. Glandular fever can take a while to get over, so take it easy and then get back on the bike when you are right.

Well, I was in holidays in Murcia region in Spain and was feeling not so bad, swelling well down and ear feeling grand despite the flight which was wasn't so nice :(, and decided to take my father's dirt cheap mountain bike out for a few spins.

The wee route I decided on was a 7 mile run over a canal road that is only to be used by service vehicles but I always met at least 5 cyclist's each time I went out ( who always had a smile and an "ola" for you, which was nice). Had no speedo so just going off stopwatch on phone and runnkeeper for data here...

Thursday 8th: 48 mins - avg sp 8.79MPH - climb 103ft.
    First time out i took it real real easy, unsure how i would feel after the slight illness and a strange bike took me ages but it was more a leisurly spin and was stopping admiring the scenery fairly frequently http://runkeeper.com/user/homer_simpson/activity/51340081

Sunday 11th: 28mins - Avg sp 15.06 - climb 103FT.
    So I decided I'd push like hell today to see how i got on, have to say i was fairly happy considering it was 35 degree's out and i went at 12pm (when herself decided to sunbath I decided then was a good time to cycle most days :P) but the conditions were perfect very slight cooling breeze cloudless sky's. I felt decent too, dripping with sweat but didn't feel wrecked
    http://runkeeper.com/user/homer_simpson/activity/51690252

Tuesday 13th: 29minutes - Avg Sp 14.54 - climb 103FT.
    It was fairly cloudy today but I had decent breeze on the way out but was a killer on the way back, I was still fairly happy with the time because after all I was using a fairly crappy bike with nobbly wide tires that were hard to push.
    http://runkeeper.com/user/homer_simpson/activity/52020407

Wednesday 14th: 33mins - Avg 13.02 Climb 110FT
    Todays run was that little bit longer as I had my camera bag with me and went to the the castle a wee run when I was up that length, stopped a few times on the way home to take a few photos too ;)
    http://runkeeper.com/user/homer_simpson/activity/52184891

All in all I'm happy as a thought I would be killed by the heat, as much as I was greatfull of the use of the bike I will be glad to get home to my Hybrid as its really opened up my eyes as to how much harder mountain bikes are to push into winds / uphills! Glad that i seem to have gotten over my illness fairly fast too which is a bonus. To end here is some photos was going to put them in the what you seen in your cycle today thread but couldn't find it so here will do, only problem is I'm going home now :(

6147019735_ec7bae0e3a_z.jpg

6147494234_532ab87fb8_z.jpg

6146952697_5ff617c79b_z.jpg

6146957139_76e41f9d24_z.jpg

Thanks for looking all.............

Play astro now twice a week (with fellow boardsies too) on a Tuesday and Thursday, only got out on the bike twice this past week because of well... lazyness and working flat out all week so didn't have too much time.

Saturday 17th - 11.43 KM - 33 Mins - Avg 20.78KPH
    It's an awfull hilly wee route this one from my father's house my legs were really burning when I got home. It might only have been 11KM but by god I felt it http://runkeeper.com/user/homer_simpson/activity/52590023

Friday 23rd - 21.05 KM - 1hr 3mins - Avg 20.28
    Very very windy out there today found myself down a few gears on places i've been over before, i took an extra bit near the start on this route this time, the hills are killer but I actually felt good once I got the top after about 2KM. I felt pretty good over the route apart from near the end when i get near home, it always kills me, lol. http://runkeeper.com/user/homer_simpson/activity/53402539

I have just discovered a friend of mines is also just starting back on the bike again, although he has a fully fledged road bike we have decided to go for a decent spin on Sunday, 40 odd KM, as we both seem to have roughly the same average speeds ect. I know 40KM might not seem like much to most here but it will be a big step for me, I'm hoping it goes well any tips?

Couple of wee things niggling me ATM can anyone help? The elevation on runkeeper seems to be way off, or am I just imagining this? I guess i should get myself a decent GPS any suggestions?

Also i find i get pins and needle in my right arm after about 5km on the bike anyone have any ideas? its not sore just tingly with mild pins and needles i dont wear and restrictice or tight clothing so im all out of ideas.

• Advertisement

I've decided to do less of the shorter runs and try and gradually up the distance on 2 runs a week, I still play astro twice a week so i think doing any more spins on the bike is asking too much too soon so I will try this way for a few weeks to see how it goes!

Monday 26th - 29.52KM - 1hr 27mins - Avg 20.16 KPH

It was tough going, lots of hills and it was fairly windy too. I did struggle a bit from 18 - 20 KM mark but it was the most difficult hill i have attempted to that date, felt good when i got to the top though. Furthest distance I'd gone up untill then. Runkeeper

Saturday 1st - 33.56KM's - 1hr 32mins - Avg 21.77 KPH

Met up with a relative of mines, who has a proper road bike, while he was nearing the end of his spin. It felt much much better with someone there along with ya, less time to think about the pain due to chatting lol. Nothing really of note else was a good day for a cycle very little wind ect, farthest distance I've done yet :)runkeeper

Been a while since I've posted here, but think it'll be a good idea to rejuvenate the thread to keep me motivated to get out more over winter. I want to aim towards doing the annual Sligo -Letterkenny charity run next year, big ask for someone like me I know but I can try :)

Done 47 KM today felt slow and wrecked for the last 10 odd Km but I done it that's the main thing, I didn't get a chance to get out last week at all so putting some it it down to that. I'm hoping to get out twice a week all being well. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use my cadence & HRM data to improve my spins :P

Sunday 18th

47.0km -Distance
    285m - Elevation
    02:02:41 - Moving Time
    Avg Temp - 5°C
    Max Speed - 44.9km/h
    Avg Speed - 23.0km/h
    Cadence - 71
    BPM - Avg 163 - 192 Max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I want to aim towards doing the annual Sligo -Letterkenny charity run next year

oooh... When is that? Any details online. I might be very interested in a run like that.

oooh... When is that? Any details online. I might be very interested in a run like that.

It's usually around the 2nd weekend in July, no concrete date set for 2013 yet. AFINK it's a min of €50 sponsorship the bikes are transported down on the Saturday evening on a lorry and a bus for riders on Sunday morning.

Paddy Delap is usually the main organiser of the event, he owns a shop on lower main street pop in closer to the time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It's usually around the 2nd weekend in July, no concrete date set for 2013 yet. AFINK it's a min of €50 sponsorship the bikes are transported down on the Saturday evening on a lorry and a bus for riders on Sunday morning.

Paddy Delap is usually the main organiser of the event, he owns a shop on lower main street pop in closer to the time ;)

Thanks for that. It might fit in with a plan I have to cycle Malin Head to Dublin. It could form part of the "getting to Malin Head in the 1st place" bit.

Advertisement