Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband- €30 budget -online gaming

• 14-08-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I am looking to get internet to play games online. The type of games that I want to play are Fifa and Call of Duty.

My budget is €30 per month- if anyone knows broadband that is suitable for playing games online like these that works all the time not just the odd day. Please let me know.

Thanks

Wayne

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Think you just priced yourself out of the market.. reliable broadband starts at €32.75 (http://www.upc.ie/broadband/)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Depends on where you're living. If you can get it, UPC offer 12Mb for €25/month.

If you're not in their catchment area, ADSL (phone line) might be your only other option. Eircom/Vodafone/etc. all (re)sell the same product, so it's a matter of selecting which one you can afford. Speeds range from 1Mb to 25Mb depending on how close to the exchange you are. I'm able to play on 2Mb, but I think I'm at the lower limit for gaming.

I think the likes of satellite and mobile dongles have too high latency (ping) to be suitable for gaming, but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

you can play online perfectly with 1mb
    its you ping that matters

below 100ms and you should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

download speed is almost irrelevant. low ping and upload speeds greater than 512kbps is what you're looking for. as was stated, the best you can get would be UPC or Magnet if they're in your area.

under no circumstances is 3g mobile "broadband" acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Your monthly download allowance is vital too, if you don't want to end up going over your limit and paying penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

NIMAN wrote: »
    Your monthly download allowance is vital too, if you don't want to end up going over your limit and paying penalties.

gaming wont use much data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

dunworth1 wrote: »
    gaming wont use much data

True but nowadays there are loads of updates and DLC that you may want to download so having a decent limit helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The cheapest way to get proper broadband currently in most parts of Ireland is to get UPC's 12 mbit (or is it 20 mbit now) service along with the minimum phone bundle of €6, costing €31 a month. You never have to use the phone service, just don't buy a phone for it:D

I know someone who used a mobile internet dongle to use PSN and different first person shooters as their accommodation internet didn't let through the ports and whatnot needed for online gaming. Apparently it worked tolerably except during early evenings. In that situation it was used for nothing but occasional gaming. I was shocked to hear it, but some people are always going to have a better experience than others with that sort of tech and they may have lower expectations too.

For someone using it for a wide variety of things, only proper broadband will cut it.

Advertisement