Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Waters on single mothers (Newstalk, Dunphy Show)

Options
  • 14-08-2011 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

This morning (14th August) on Newstalk (Eamon Dunphy Show).

John Waters:

"The state in the U.K., as in Ireland, incentivizes mothers to remove the father from their childrens' lives. They make far, far more on benefits than they would if the father was around."

Sounds to me like he is suggesting that mothers are deliberately getting rid of their partners/husbands so that they can get more on welfare, while making no attempt to suggest any other reason why a father might be absent from a single family situation.

Link to the show:

http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast/24687/popup
    Archive-->
    Dunphy Show-->
    Part 1, about 46 mins in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Believe me I have little time for the demented ramblings of John Waters but those statements to which you linked don't ring true at all.

Are you sure that is not a satirical "Onion"-like site to which you are referring?

Sometimes on the Internet, nobody knows if you're taking the piss.

Which would no-doubt only fuel Mr Waters' oft-expressed technophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

The links you give are to an article titled

"Landmark ruling for John Waters ensures fathers will no longer be forced to spend time with their Children"

Other interesting articles on that website are:

"Norris not gay, all a hoax to fast track political career"

"Libya officially recognises North London looters as new government of United Kingdom"

"Environment minister to raise plastic bag levy to 85 billion euro per bag in cynical bid to solve financial crisis"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 loley

hmmm...
    Thanks for the correction fellas.
    Seems in my haste I hadn't copped the real nature of that site.
    I should have been more careful.

However, his comments still stand.
    And I think his suggestion that some mothers could deliberately be depriving their kids of a father to claim more welfare is ridiculous.
    He backs it up with nothing but hot air, and endlessly mentions these mysterious 'studies' he claims to have read but never actually references.

He's constantly coming out with stuff with like this, which he claims is an attempt to 'stir the pot' and get some discussion going, which I'm all for.
    But I can't help but feel it's more to gain notoriety and cause controversy in order to aid his media profile.
    Which I'm probably falling for, arrgh bloody media vortex!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

I have a friend in scotland whose brother's girlfriend left him so she could get a council house, not sure if that's the case over here but it's certainly true over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 loley

Laisurg wrote: »
    I have a friend in scotland whose brother's girlfriend left him so she could get a council house, not sure if that's the case over here but it's certainly true over there.

Really? bloody hell.
    Is that the only reason she left him?
    Might I presume you are only getting your friend's brothers side of the story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

..and your link is incorrect. I clicked on it and got Richard Dawkins telling us we're not all going to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AnneBQ

At least John is consistent, some single parent with a dolly mixture family must have really p....ed him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

AnneBQ wrote: »
    At least John is consistent, some single parent with a dolly mixture family must have really p....ed him off.
    Nothing compares to John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Single mothers do remove the fathers for the purposes of claiming more welfare. It is a well known scam. But do you really think that the father is not around? He is claiming his own welfare but isn't around for the purposes of the scrounging mother to claim more welfare. This is one of the most common scams for claiming extra welfare, and is an absolute joke that a single mother never needs to work for her money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

loley wrote: »
    This morning (14th August) on Newstalk (Eamon Dunphy Show).

John Waters:

"The state in the U.K., as in Ireland, incentivizes mothers to remove the father from their childrens' lives. They make far, far more on benefits than they would if the father was around."

Sounds to me like he is suggesting that mothers are deliberately getting rid of their partners/husbands so that they can get more on welfare, while making no attempt to suggest any other reason why a father might be absent from a single family situation.

Link to the show:

http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast/24687/popup
    Archive-->
    Dunphy Show-->
    Part 1, about 46 mins in.

He's just telling the truth...the welfare state punishes parents who would raise their kids in a family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

I can't find the statement by John Waters on the link provided but what appears to be a similar argument was put forward in 2004 HERE.

Advertisement