Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negligence on part of Mod.

Options
  • 14-08-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    We might have a serious problem arising from a Limerick thread and a comment from a certain poster [Mc Love] which the moderator of the Limerick forum Insect Overlord did not take seriously,left up on a thread that I was involved in and admitadly I was being hot about.
    However in my defence part of the thread was somthing I have very passionate feelings about and has had a very direct and severe negative influence on my early life.IOL did request that I turn it down via PM,which I did,however in such a manner only that it annoyed me further.

To wit Mc Love stated that =black]

IoL response to me in a PM has been that he/she do not agree that this is a forum breach[considering abusive ,inflammatory etc posts] and that this was a joke post!!

Having viewed the thread in question, I disagree with your assertion that another poster had breached the Charter. The post you reported was very obviously made in jest.

This is NO laughing matter people if you are a gunowner.For the following reasons
    [1] I am known in real life to the Gardai as Grizzly45 and I post on the shooting boards site.I have had to take the Gardai ,like some shooters here to reaquire our gun liscenses via expensive court cases to us in the last three years.Not by any wrong doing by us,but by legislative and political sleight of hand that decided certain types of guns are bad.It cost me over 5,000 euros for two court cases to regain my liscenses
    I do not wish to have to repeat this procedure because of some "wit" trying to be funny with throw away comments.
    As I know the Garda Siochanna dept of Justice do have a file on me [obtained under the FOIA] which contains some of my posts here on boards over the years taken out of context and cherry picked too I might add,to try and paint me in a negative light.This sort of stuff is grist to their mill.
    Therefore I consider this going seriously way beyond the Pale.

[2]This sort of comparision is personally very insulting and offensive for gun owners.Especially as they were trying to tie it into the latest tragedy in Norway most likely.
    We are trying to undo every day this image, of being either killers or some potential killer or nut job and to be compared to psychopaths intent on mass murder is appaling in the extreme.Especially when we make headway another tragedy goes and happens somwhere in the world to throw us back to square one. I suppose IOL would consider then it ok and a joke to allow comments about all Muslims who are pilots are proably kamakaziee bombers looking for tall buildings were somone to post such??

But funnily enough he /she was hot enough to demand that I turn it down when Limerick rugger players were referred to in a joking way,but considers very abusive posting about a gunowner a joke post????

The fact that IOL considers it a joke,in my opinion shows their immaturity for the position of moderator.
    Not to mind their complaint of having "to spend a whole hour cleaning up the thread I made a mess of by "playing keyboard warrior"
    Because by their own admittance they were out for the night.

Not ever to deny anyone their social time,as I like mine as anyone else.
    However the fact that you voulenteer for a position of authorithy,and have a thread with potential for conflict,walking away from it is comitting gross negligence.Especially if you as a mod consider it to be potentially explosive.Well and good if you are doing this on a free basis,and respect for doing this.BUT there were two other mods in charge as well.Could not one of them cover the boards for a night???
    When I read the post from Mc Love I did report it,but there was no response from any of the Mods until later on that night.
    So who exactly was in charge of the forum that night??

Granted and I freely admit the infraction I recived was well deserved for back seat modding.But due to the non response I felt I had to make this known to get somones attention.

TBH I am not upset or complaining about the ban from Limerick city.
    IOL and I are not going to see eye to eye ever.
    I am more concerned about the possible legal ramifications to me in the near or far future for my above outlined reasons,and the fact that IOL considers this a joke and that I somhow deserved this.Nor also,do I or am a" keyboard warrior" as IOL asserts .Responding like that is not exactly a sign of a mature person handling a crisis of one hour to clean up a thread in cyberspace.

I would request a review of IOL handling of the matter.

Sincerely
    Grizzly 45

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    However the fact that you voulenteer for a position of authorithy,and have a thread with potential for conflict,walking away from it is comitting gross negligence.Especially if you as a mod consider it to be potentially explosive.Well and good if you are doing this on a free basis,and respect for doing this.BUT there were two other mods in charge as well.Could not one of them cover the boards for a night???

Boards.ie does not have people online 24 hours a day, seven days a week. As you correctly pointed out, all mods/cmods/admins are volunteers. Therefore there is no expectation that there is somebody on hand at all times to deal with issues such as this. There will be periods of time (especially on a Saturday night) where there will be no one around.
    When I read the post from Mc Love I did report it,but there was no response from any of the Mods until later on that night.So who exactly was in charge of the forum that night??

See above.

The post in question was brought to Admin attention this morning, and as I was around I have been dealing with it. There has been some discussion the issue this morning (up to the point at which I was made aware that this thread was created).

So, I apologise for post being left up for so long, but it was being dealt with and has been deleted now.
    I would request a review of IOL handling of the matter

I am in the process of discussing it with him now.

Edit: as you are not disputing a ban, I have moved this to the Help Desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Just a suggestion grizzly, as the post has been deleted you might want to edit the quoted part out as it will be just as searchable here as in shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thanks folks for giving this prompt attention.:)
    GAA man will do.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

No problem.

I'll mark this as resolved, so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement