Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options?

• 14-08-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Unfortunately UPC have said that they don't cover my area (limerick city, 3/4 year old estate) so now I am very confused about the broadband options available.

Does this mean that it has to come through the phone line and so I will either have to pay eircom the line rental of €25 and more for the broadband or just pay the line rental to them and then get smart or another provider to cover the broadband?

The previous owner said that the eircom broadband was very slow so I'm hesitant to go with them.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You sure UPC are not on your estate at all, have you asked neighbours etc.

Some parts of Limerick are far from an exchange so their DSL could be slow. You order the line and BB from Smart direct...not eircom.

Maybe consider Digiweb Metro Fixed Wireless off Woodcock Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

Have you looked at Satelite Broadband? http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/

He is in Limerick City fer chrissakes .....not 10 miles away where he can possibly only get Satellite Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

I didn't realise satellite broadband was designed for only those who couldn't get the 'normal' variety..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Satellite is NOT broadband at all, and should never be a first recommendation. Since the OP is in the city, there should be options before satellite is considered.

Magnet, Digiweb, Smart, Vodafone, etc.

• Advertisement

{^Syntax^} wrote: »
    I didn't realise satellite broadband was designed for only those who couldn't get the 'normal' variety..
    Well it is. Satellite Broadband is explicitly designed for the desparate who will suffer the dismal caps and epicly crap latency because they have no alternative bar slow dial up.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭heybert

Thanks for the info all.

UPS definitely not in the estate - its beside much more established estates but only a few years old. The digiweb metro sounds good - any feedback on this? Will it be as quick/reliable as eircom or smart?

Advertisement