Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live? Cabra,Finglas,Ashtown?

Options
  • 14-08-2011 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all,

not sure if this is in the correct section (please move if needed)

I am moving to Dublin in next few weeks (family of four) as our son will be starting in a new school. We have the option of either a school in Finglas or Cabra, both are Gaelscoil and for that reason we will be moving either to Cabra, Finglas area to be close to his school (hopefully within walking distance)

I am from Dublin originally and I know both areas have good and bad points but I just thought people on boards.ie may give me some advice on the areas and it may sway our decision, like I said we can move into either area just like to find a safe area if possible. We have viewings this week in Cabra, Finglas, Ashtown

Thank you in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

where abouts are you looking to rent?

where is the school?

finglas and cabra are big places.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DonkyDonk

I lived in Ashtown until recently and would recommend it. It's nice and tranquil with easy access to the city centre for work etc. River road provides a good rat run to Finglas as well.

I don't know how well it would suit a family of four, however. You would need a duplex or larger apartment but I think there is a decent supply of rental property these days. The Superquinn might not be good for a big family-size grocery shop as well. But, all in all, I think it's worth considering.

That's just my 2c. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tomomurray1

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tomomurray1

DonkyDonk wrote: »
    I lived in Ashtown until recently and would recommend it. It's nice and tranquil with easy access to the city centre for work etc. River road provides a good rat run to Finglas as well.

I don't know how well it would suit a family of four, however. You would need a duplex or larger apartment but I think there is a decent supply of rental property these days. The Superquinn might not be good for a big family-size grocery shop as well. But, all in all, I think it's worth considering.

That's just my 2c. :)

Can I ask what kind of heating bills did you have in Ashtown (storage heating)

Also the 'free' gym membership is not a gimmick of somekind?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The part of Finglas you'd be looking to rent in to be within walking distance of Glasanaon Road would be really quiet and suitable for a family. There's a lovely playground within distance of the school in Johnstown Park, the big Tesco is only a few minutes drive away.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i wouldnt really consider Ashtown to be walkable to any of those schools

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

I'd choose Cabra. It's a good spot and the Gael scoil is good, even if it's only prefabs and you have the option of sending them to Colaiste Mhuire on the Rathoath road for a Gael scoil secondary.

Advertisement