Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Lonergan - The Governor

Options
  • 14-08-2011 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read this book?

I'm about half way through it now as it is quite good. He comes across as a quite a liberal man and not what I expected from a former prison governor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I just finished it there about a few weeks ago. Yes, he comes across as very admirable. There was an article in the paper recently saying that there now wasn't enough room in Thornton Hall.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0728/breaking41.html

So vindication for John Lonergan.

I'd recommend this book, it's quite inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I bought it for myself last year and really enjoyed it. It was interesting and well written. I had the oppotunity to meet the man himself at a talk for parents in our local school. He's a great speaker too and his parenting style would match my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I was just thinking I'd love to hear him speak. I'll keep an eye out for any of his talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocket_Man

Have recently finished the book myself.
    Lonergan is a very impressive guy who has been talking about penal reform for years. However he has been completely ignored and generally treated as a nuisance by the Department of Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Folks here might be interested in knowing that John Lonergan is giving a talk this Thursday lunchtime in the Central Library, ILAc Centre as part of the 'Crime and The City: Crime and Drugs' series of events.

The talk starts at 1.00, admission is free but booking is advised. for further details of this weeks talks and the rest of the series see http://bit.ly/qEZH2r

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Just finished the book and what a wake up call. No surprise he was caught up many times in the bureaucratic blender. What summed it up for me was that he saw 11 Ministers come and go and not one sa down with him one on one.

You get nowhere in the Civil Service by telling the truth.

Advertisement