Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating 5th Vs 6th Year

• 14-08-2011 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi everybody,

Looking for an advice. I am a 5th year leaving cert student ready going into sixth year. Did maths at ordinary level ( as school did not allow higher level after I got D in junior cert math- higher level), other 5 subjects at higher level and scored reasonably well in 5th year exam except one subject(Physics). I have only five higher level subjects as the school did not allow me to take one more subject. I have changed my school and will be going to a new school.

1. The new school has suggested I repeat 5th year
    and take 1-2 more subjects like agri science or/and Geography (depending on whether I take higher or ordinary maths). Repeating the 5th year will enable good grasp of all the subjects including the new ones with good scores expected in the final leaving cert exam. I did not do transition year.

2. The second option given is i continue with ordinary maths, take agri science only ( as it would be extremely difficult to cover more than one new subject in 6th year along with my usual subjects. this will leave me with 6 higher level subjects with no extra option of 7th subject. It looks like It would`nt be possible to cover my defeciencies at this stage & achieve my desired scores and I will have to repeat 6th year.

Could any of the valued members of this forum advise which one would be
    the better option to repeat 5th Year or go to 6th year now and repeat if needed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You already suspect that you may end up repeating 6th year if you go straight into sixth year in your new school, so maybe it would be better for you to repeat 5th year now, take up the new subjects and have two years to master them rather than to try and cram one of them into one year. It would also allow you to go into the higher level maths class in 5th year (and it sounds like your new school will let you) and try it. If you find higher maths hard going you still have the option of going back to ordinary level and you will still have plenty of time to concentrate on your other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If you got a D in OL maths for the JC I really can't see you being able to keep up with HL maths unless there was some genuine reason for the JC result. I (and others I know) got an A in JC maths and found HL to be very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 iuhk

Got D in HL in JC
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

I definitely think you should repeat 5th Year rather than 6th. Because:
    - You'll have more time to cover the subjects.
    - You might not take 6th Year seriously this year if you think you're going to repeat anyway.
    - Going through the whole Leaving Cert twice would be very difficult, plus seeing all your friends go on to college while you will have to repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I repeated 5th year and it was the best decision I ever made. It's a lot less stressful to repeat 5th year than 6th year.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the valuable input from all the members on the forum,
    I am new to this forum but have found this to be an extremely useful source of information. I am making up my mind to repeat the 5th year after all the advice from the members. Any further input will be highly appreciated
    Regards
    Iuhk

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I'd repeat 5th year if I were you - actually don't even consider it repeating, just start 5th yr in your new school with a clean slate. Having skipped TY you'll be the same age as most of the other 5th yrs who will be joining you having already done TY and since you did okay in most of your subjects in 5th yr last year you'll be starting with a bit of an edge as a lot of it will be familiar to you.......that should increase your confidence.

Give HL Maths a go and then switch to OL if you find it too difficult, but you have the time to do that if you go into 5th year now.For those repeating the LC, they have a whole new course to do in English and are lucky if a couple of poets overlap. Its a lot do do in the Repeat LC year. You'll have two years to do it like everybody else.

Lots of advantages to repeating 5th yr over your other option which is a pit pessimistic and won't make for a pleasant two years ahead.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

RH149 wrote: »
    I'd repeat 5th year if I were you - actually don't even consider it repeating, just start 5th yr in your new school with a clean slate. Having skipped TY you'll be the same age as most of the other 5th yrs who will be joining you having already done TY and since you did okay in most of your subjects in 5th yr last year you'll be starting with a bit of an edge as a lot of it will be familiar to you.......that should increase your confidence.

Give HL Maths a go and then switch to OL if you find it too difficult, but you have the time to do that if you go into 5th year now.For those repeating the LC, they have a whole new course to do in English and are lucky if a couple of poets overlap. Its a lot do do in the Repeat LC year. You'll have two years to do it like everybody else.

Lots of advantages to repeating 5th yr over your other option which is a pit pessimistic and won't make for a pleasant two years ahead.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.:)

Very good point about English which I had forgotten about.

Many thanks every body for the input,
    Have decided to repeat 5th year, will inform the school next week
    Great forum, will keep posting
    Thanks

Advertisement