Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling a bathroom: €700 for a 2.5 x 3 sq meters?

Options
  • 14-08-2011 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,

The guys who refitted my bathroom tiled everything without fixing properly the plywood --> now all tiles move up and down and the grout is coming up scratching all of them, so I'd need to get it all off and retile it again.

A local charged me 700 € (it's a standard 2.5 * 3m bathroom with bathtub, sink, bidet and WC) - what do you think of it?

Also, would you know any good tiler in D15 :)?

Thanks,
    Enrico

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Sounds about right - 15-20€/sqm would be what I would expect to pay.
    Assuming 3.0x2.5, Floor is 7.5m2, walls (assuming 2.45high) are 27m2, total 34.5m2

35m2 @ 20€ = 700 -

You will probably get cheaper, but make sure you get references from previous work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marksetgo

was the price you got just for the floor or walls or both im assuming ther was no plywood fitted to any walls and its just the floor that has come loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnny.bill

sorry, I didn't specify, it is just the floor.

@marksetgo - they fixed the plywood but I think they didn't use enough screws. Everywhere else in the house the tiling is perfect, but in the bathroom the plywood started to become loose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

What is the €700 for? Is that for removing all old tiles? New ply?

If it's just the tiling, that's working out at €93.33 a square meter... :(

It's 7.5 sqm of tiling - No more than €150 for tiling alone. That leaves €550 for removing old tiles and fixing ply (if thats the problem...)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

You can easily take the old tiles up and fix the ply yourself. Maybe it was the wrong grout used on the floor. Needs to be able to flex slightly. 700 is way too much

• Advertisement

thanks guys for the replies!

I'll actually try to do it myself. I'll order the same tiles (as I don't expect to re-use the current ones), buy new plywood, flexible adhesive, flexible grout (any advice on the best brand around?) and a tile cutter and try it the hard way.

May take longer, but at least I'll be able to handle any other related problem and I'll be the only one to blame then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

The people in the shop will give the the right stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Forget plywood, full stop. It is a timber, and naturally expands and contracts - your tiles aren't, and don't.

Buy a proper tile backing board: Hardibacker, Fermacell, Tegral Duripanel or similar. They are non-timber, cement/fibre-based boards, specifically for this kind of job.

Otherwise, you'll be updating this post, again, down the line.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

that's fantastic, thanks for the info.

Should I be able to find these in woodies, or just from some builders supplier?

also, how would you fix it to the timber floor? Just with nails? Sorry if this sounds stupid...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

fix with screws - never nails. Don't use very long ones in case you need a plumber after to fix the leaks - probably 30mm screws and don't be afraid to put plenty down.

Advertisement