Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone settle an arguement about feeding??

Options
  • 14-08-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can settle a discussion between me and other half regarding feeding our baby. He is 8 weeks old and usually feeds about every 3 hours......Do people count the 3 hours from the beginning or end of the last feed??:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Hi we were always told to count from when you start - so if your first feed begins at 7, the next one begins at 10 for three hours between. Hope that helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

thats what i had thought too, just other half was counting from when feed finished....cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

No worries - It all gets a bit confusing. I was counting the months old wrong till my other half corrected me - didnt believe him either till friends agreed wit him! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I always count from the end of a feed. Makes no difference now as he feeds in 5 mins but when he was newborn a feed could take 45 mins and he was every 2 hrs so I'd have had an hour before it all started again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

always from the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyeyes

We always counted from the time the feed starts...... now you are probably more confused than ever:eek::D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

PHN told us it's counted from the start of the feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

PHN told me it's from the start. I felt like i was constantly feeding my little one because it might take her an hour and a half for her to finish the bottle only to start again an hour later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I always just waited until they were awake again, but never let them stretch more than 4 hours without a feed, from the start of the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ha I remember when I had my son I was in a panic about when to start counting. One nurse told me from when I started the last feed, the other one said when I'd finished the last feed. The second nurse said if I did it from the start of the feed I'd never get a nights sleep. So I went with what she said ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Moonbeam wrote: »
    always from the end.
    i'd agree with you personally, but not according to the nurses and midwives and the phn i've asked, they all say to count from the beginning, but with our newborn it can take an hour and a half for my wife to breast feed him so it's hardly practical as she'd need to spend almost 24 hours a day with him hanging off her.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I thought about this briefly when both of mine were very small, but they sorted it out for me by just shouting for food when they wanted it whether it was 3 hours from the start or the finish of the last feed!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

yeah thats pretty much what I am doing, I wait for him to tell me when he wants it and its usually 3 hours on the dot since the start of last feed!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

In the hospital they told me to count from when he started the bottle! And im 100% sure because it was torture as my son had jaundice which makes them very sleepy, so was taking up to two hours to take 30ml, by the time he finished the bottle, i would wind him and change his nappy and have about 10mins to spare before his next feed! So much for sleeping when they are sleeping LOL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

we had the same in the hospital, but since we got him home it's been on demand as he throws a tantrum and will refuse to feed if you wake him up for it. he takes after his old man like that. :)

Advertisement