Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway for work

Options
  • 14-08-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey - I'm moving to Galway at the start of September for work. I'll be working in Parkmore which I think is around BallyBrit.

I'm in my mid 20s and will be living alone and I'm just wondering where the best area for me would be (how many times do people ask this ;) )

I've been looking at Oranmore as I don't want to be in the city center. I'd like to not pay more than €700 a month so I could also potentially find something in Ballybrit too.

What's the drive like from Ornamore to Parkmore in the mornings? I do have a car but who likes mad traffic? I don't want to be in student central (been there, done that - don't want to be the moany neighbor!).

I've been stalking this forum for the last few weeks and all the Galwegians seem lovely so I'm really hoping you can help me out here.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I drive from Oranmore to Ballybrit in the mornings and it usually takes about 10mins.

Not sure what it's like during the school term though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Oranmore will probably suit you. Keep in mind that it's probably 10km from city centre so you will pay an extra few quid for a taxi if you plan to go into the city for scoops at the weekends.

Check www.daft.ie for the going rate for renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I know you don't want to live in student central, but do you want to be able to avail of Galway's fine social and cultural amenities without always having to drive in? (Parking can be difficult, and it's such a pain not being able to drink).

If so, I'd suggest a suburb closer on with good public transport links, eg Roscam, Ballybrit (fine if you'll be travelling to work by car), or the nicer estates in Doughiska.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Renmore is a good option for you. It's between work and the town and a quick commute both ways. I am renting a 4 bed house here for 650 euro p/m. no students either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Why would you want to live alone ? new town , mid-twenties you'll need some pals for going on the sauce at the weekends :D
    not only that you're seriously restricting your accommodation options if you're on a budget as Galway isn't cheap to rent in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 KezzieKa

I've lived alone for years - even stupidly bought my own place. I've been back home with the folks for the past 9 months too. I can't live with other people, I've done it in college and this stretch of living back home. If I have to share, I'd hate to live with me. New pals would be great but not to live with ;)

From looking at Daft, €700 doesn't seem restrictive but we'll see when I get there.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Renmore isn't looking like a bad option on the list along side Oranmore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Roscam is also a nice area, Oranmore can be hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Oranmore would offer far more than Roscam as would have pubs, restaurants etc. also has GAA and other sports clubs going on which use the artificial pitches so is a possible way of getting to know people if your new. Roscam is purely a large housing estate with no discernible centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Webbs wrote: »
    Roscam is purely a large housing estate with no discernible centre.

Castlegar GAA club, Good Shepherd Parish, Cafe Mocha and Cheshire Home might disagree with you there. And I believe there's a new playgroud up the top somewhere .. not sure quite where yet.

But really, what Roscam has that Oranmore doesn't is a fantastic bus service between there and Galway city.
    • Every 15 minutes 7am - 7pm Mon-Sat,
    • Every 30 minutes 7pm - 11pm Mon-Sat
    • Every 30 minutes 9am - 8pm Sunday
    • Every hour 8pm - 11pm Sunday
    If I wanted to live in the quiet 'burbs but party in town, then I know where I'd be.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

JustMary wrote: »
    Castlegar GAA club, Good Shepherd Parish, Cafe Mocha and Cheshire Home might disagree with you there. And I believe there's a new playgroud up the top somewhere .. not sure quite where yet.

But really, what Roscam has that Oranmore doesn't is a fantastic bus service between there and Galway city.
    If I wanted to live in the quiet 'burbs but party in town, then I know where I'd be.

I'd agree. Also, its within walking distance of shops (Centra, Chemist, Barbers, Polish Shop, Lidl, Hairdressers and takeaways (chinese/Jack Jordans) in Doughiska and the Briarhill shopping centre, which has dunnes, bakery, jewellers, hairdressers, beauticians, bookies, pet shop, ulster bank and a late night chemist.

We often just get an evening bus into town on a night out saving us a taxi fare in. Its especially handy if you go into town on a saturday and you dont have to worry about parking or enjoying a wee drink after all that shopping. If you lived in Oranmore the bus service is not as good. In fact I dont even think its hourly?

If you work in parkmore, you could easily walk it on a nice day (but we dont get many of them :()

Doughiska/Roscam/Merlin all the way :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice guys. Going to head down on Monday and view a few places in a couple of different areas. Now just to fine tune the 20 or so places on Daft I like the look of :D

Me again! Might as well keep all my spam to one please.

Anyone dealt with Glendale Properties? Just want to make sure there are no horror stories before I hand over money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Spitfire96

Hi
    My boyfriend has recently been offered a job in Galway also around Ballybrit.. I'm originally from Wexford and have lived there for most of my life.

We have decided to make the move to Galway but we have a small child (she's 1 and a half) so the move is not a straight forward as if it was just the 2 of us...

We were hoping to stay in the country rather than moving into the city..

Could anyone suggest a nice place to move to I suppose within 15 to 20 mins from Ballybrit...

Also if there were any mother and toddler groups or places we could go to meet new people as we will know nobody when we move over..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

JustMary wrote: »

Agree about the bus service, still cant figure out why there isnt an extended city bus service out to Oranmore. the bus service into town is just about OK from oranmore for a night out, just need a bit of advance planning (I would always be getting a cab back wherever I lived).
    Also still disagree in that Roscam has no real centre compared to Oranmore, but then thankfully we cant all agree on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

KezzieKa wrote: »
    Me again! Might as well keep all my spam to one please.

Anyone dealt with Glendale Properties? Just want to make sure there are no horror stories before I hand over money!
    Never heard of them and there are no previous mentions on boards of them, good or bad.
    Spitfire96 wrote: »
    Could anyone suggest a nice place to move to I suppose within 15 to 20 mins from Ballybrit...

Also if there were any mother and toddler groups or places we could go to meet new people as we will know nobody when we move over..
    Look into Oranmore, quiet village just outside the city.
    Mybe you'll find a class on http://galway.mykidstime.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

700e is more than enough to find a decent place on your own, just dont accept whatever price it's up on daft.ie for, you can get anywhere upwards of 10-20% off the asking price for rentals these days.

Oranmore is handy if you have a car but their are other areas close to both parkmore and galway city itself that arent studenty, mullan mor on the tuam road comes to mind, in fact a good few areas on the tuam road are and the headford road are. Renmore isnt too bad either and is more family orientated than anything. Overall the areas I mentioned above are good if you want to be relatively close to Parkmore but also avail of everyting Galway city has to offer without having to get a taxi, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

I work in Parkmore too, and i live on headford road, takes me less than 10 minutes (without traffic), but sure there's always traffic, so it takes me 20 minutes on average. Not sure about driving distance (or any traffic) to and from Oranmore.

Btw, if you want somewhere quiet and nearer to town and work, then Ballybrit,roscam and Dough Uisce are your best bet. Roscam is the nicest though (so im told from people at work). All very near to Parkmore.

Advertisement