Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Sky still charge for the SKY+ functions?

• 14-08-2011 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting rid of the Sky+ box in my son's room and getting him just a saorview compatible tv with a VGA connector instead so that he can hook up his netbook and use the tv like an external monitor.

so the thing is, i've already given my parents in law his old tv, and they only have the standard sky. so, can i also give them the sky+ box and run down a second cable, ring sky and pair the card to the new box, therefore enabling them to record tv, or will they also have to pay extra for the sky+ functions?

and if i get rid of the second box, thereby also doing away with my multiroom sub, will i then be charged for the sky+ funtions i have on the HD box in the living room?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Sky+ is free if you pay for any Sky sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

ah right, that makes sense, no point in me getting rid of the second box then if in reality it's only going to cost me an extra €5 a month,

skyhd box and sky+ box = €48 on a multiroom sub

skyhd box on its own with sky+ functionality = €33 with no movies or sports and an extra €10 for the sky+, so that = €43 per month?

is this assumption correct?

i just heard that sky were not charging for the sky+ sub any more a while back, obviously my interpretation was incorrect... :(

EDIT: and i've just been on the sky website there and i see they have a new standard box out now with the PVR functionalities built in, but im gessing to use them, you have to pay an extra fee, so bloody confusing! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

xsiborg wrote: »
    EDIT: and i've just been on the sky website there and i see they have a new standard box out now with the PVR functionalities built in, but im gessing to use them, you have to pay an extra fee, so bloody confusing! :mad:

Stop guessing. You don't have to pay an extra fee.

Whatever you're paying for the Sky box covers it - as long as you're paying for that box.

e.g. Single Sky box OR Second box via multiroom OR both

The only charge is in getting the box (they still treat existing customers like crap, offering all sorts of incentives to new people but charging existing ones a one-off fee to upgrade the box) but there is no extra charge for the "plus" service.

The only time the box won't record is if there's no Sky subscription at all, with the box being used for free channels only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

gtg60 wrote: »
    Sky+ is free if you pay for any Sky sub.

Know what you're saying and you're absolutely right but sounds strange doesn't it?

Know what you're saying and you're absolutely right but sounds strange doesn't it?

Why ?

If you pay Vodafone or O2 or 3 on a contract you get some free calls.....

Why is Sky's free extra feature (recording) "strange" to you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Why ?

If you pay Vodafone or O2 or 3 on a contract you get some free calls.....

Why is Sky's free extra feature (recording) "strange" to you ?

Just the fact that's somethings free but you have to pay (via a subscription). The shortness of the original sentence and closeness of words 'free' and 'pay' made it look/sound strange. That's all I meant.

Just the fact that's somethings free but you have to pay (via a subscription). The shortness of the original sentence and closeness of words 'free' and 'pay' made it look/sound strange. That's all I meant.

Sky Plus is free when you pay for Sky.

Nope, still can't see an issue with it.

Toy is free when you pay for a Happy Meal.

If course, it's free if you steal the Happy Meal too! ;)

The only issue that's there is the fact that if you don't have a Sky+ capable box, they charge you, while giving it free to new customers.....THAT is bad business.

Advertisement