Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling gold in Dundalk or Newry?

Options
  • 14-08-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Girlfriend has old bits of gold that she wants to sell.Went to a jewellers in the Marshes who gave us a price but would like to compare this with other quotes.Is there any other places that buy gold?I heard we might get a better price in Newry so if anyone knows of places up there,feel free to pass them on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Hattons Goldsmiths on clanbrassil street comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

i sold in the marshes
    i think your better with a jewellers than some dodgy re- invented we buy gold shop

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Duncelt

Campbell Jewellers in the Demesne (beside Oscars) were giving a very good rate - far better than the Marshes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Got it valued in the Marshes,an online company were giving me €200 more!!Little wary about online companies but they use Fedex to collect the gold so can't be that dodgy......or can they??!

toby2111 wrote: »
    Got it valued in the Marshes,an online company were giving me €200 more!!Little wary about online companies but they use Fedex to collect the gold so can't be that dodgy......or can they??!

I did the same but when they got the package they rang me to say some items
    were not as i said etc... and offered me a lower amount.

when i asked them to return it they up èd their price but i insisted on having it back so i sold locally - DODGY.......:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Onesimus wrote: »
    Hattons Goldsmiths on clanbrassil street comes to mind.

Hattons Goldsmiths are in the Longwalk - not clanbrassil st. that one in clanbrassil st. is closed/closing down i think...

I find the online companies never pay you as much as they say, and then expect you to pay to get it back, plus you be waiting for cheques and shíte!! best off taking it into the longwalk...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

blingrhino wrote: »
    I did the same but when they got the package they rang me to say some items
    were not as i said etc... and offered me a lower amount.

when i asked them to return it they up èd their price but i insisted on having it back so i sold locally - DODGY.......:o
    Blingrhino-were did you sell it locally?was it a better price than the online crowd were offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

bigneacy wrote: »
    Hattons Goldsmiths are in the Longwalk - not clanbrassil st. that one in clanbrassil st. is closed/closing down i think...

I find the online companies never pay you as much as they say, and then expect you to pay to get it back, plus you be waiting for cheques and shíte!! best off taking it into the longwalk...

Agreed!!!

OP maybe you should visit both the gold buyers and jewelers. Dont be sold the old line of ''They will offer you a crap price because they look and sound cheap''. It's often the expensive jewlery shops that will do you out of money. One of the reasons they are well off in terms of income is precisely for that reason.....they dont like to give it away. ;)

Blingrhino-were did you sell it locally?was it a better price than the online crowd were offering?
    diamonds in the marshes Toby2111,they were pleasant to deal with and no pressure to sell,can`t remamber exactly what i got but remember thinking it was more than the online scam when the rang me offering me feck all

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kunny

diamonds in the marshes Toby2111,they were pleasant to deal with and no pressure to sell,can`t remamber exactly what i got but remember thinking it was more than the online scam when the rang me offering me feck all

I personally am going to stay clear of diamonds in future. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and they were quite (very) pushy. I ended up getting a better deal online and had no hassle at all.

There must be good money in the gold though as almost all jewelers seem to have those tacky signs in their windows these days. To me they are starting to look like pawn shops.

• Advertisement

Kunny wrote: »

I personally am going to stay clear of diamonds in future. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and they were quite (very) pushy. I ended up getting a better deal online and had no hassle at all.

There must be good money in the gold though as almost all jewelers seem to have those tacky signs in their windows these days. To me they are starting to look like pawn shops.

i heard that from a few people - my auntie had her gold in with them and they practically insulted her saying her gold was "only cheap 9 carat stuff" and said it was past its sell by date!! (:eek:) she said they were pushy too and when she asked their price they said ten euros a gram, but when she was given a price she worked it out herself by the weight of it and they were only giving her 3.90 a gram!! it was over 50 grams worth too, like, not just a few rings either!

just reading the independent this morning - that place is clanbrassil street has another shop in navan - the journalist went around loads of places - apparently recycle gold is the 2nd worst for price in the COUNTRY! :eek:

also heard they're closing up shop - though i heard this a few weeks back and it never materialised - good old dundalk for the rumours and half truths, eh? :-D

Advertisement