Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packet loss in my broadband

Options
  • 14-08-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,330 ✭✭✭✭

This is driving me nuts tbh

I get numerous stuttering in my online games because of the packet loss

45264134.png

Why does this happen, its so bloody annoying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,330 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its so sad when iv such a good line

TbX4W.png

I know why I cant get higher broadband speeds than 3mb

Letter from Eircom

"The speed available to the end user attached to an exchange is dictated by the backhaul capacity from the exchange into the wider eircom trunk network. Any exchange with less than 24mb backhaul can only offer 3mb and below. This is the case with Golden which has a 16meg backhaul capacity.

Therefore it would not be feasible for eircom to offer the higher speed.

The situation will of course change as eircom upgrades its network backhaul capacity which is being done on a phased basis driven by capacity demands."

So at least give me bloody proper 3mb broadband then

Hello Eircom ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Headshot wrote: »
    Its so sad when iv such a good line

TbX4W.png

I know why I cant get higher broadband speeds than 3mb

Letter from Eircom

"The speed available to the end user attached to an exchange is dictated by the backhaul capacity from the exchange into the wider eircom trunk network. Any exchange with less than 24mb backhaul can only offer 3mb and below. This is the case with Golden which has a 16meg backhaul capacity.

Therefore it would not be feasible for eircom to offer the higher speed.

The situation will of course change as eircom upgrades its network backhaul capacity which is being done on a phased basis driven by capacity demands."

So at least give me bloody proper 3mb broadband then

Hi Headshot,

I am sorry , I didn't reply to your post earlier but given we investigated and responded to you regarding this issue a few times before and also you posted a response which we would only be repeating the same response.

That "up to 3MB" is the best speed available on your line.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Headshot,

I am sorry , I didn't reply to your post earlier but given we investigated and responded to you regarding this issue a few times before and also you posted a response which we would only be repeating the same response.

That "up to 3MB" is the best speed available on your line.

Thanks, Mark
    That is no my question

I want to know about the packet loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hello Eircom ??

Hi,

That said, I am looking into the speeds / packet loss you are getting at the moment and I'll be back to you tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi,

That said, I am looking into the speeds / packet loss you are getting at the moment and I'll be back to you tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks, Mark

so any news for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

so any news for me?

Hi Headshot,

Thanks again. If you like I can arrange for Technical Support to call you and assist you with your broadband connection problems.

Technical Support have still a logged case from your previous call to them on 11/04/2011 . They have looked at your connection again and advise that nothing has changed since your previous call to them in April. Your broadband is setup on 3Mb and there are no plans to change this in the near future.

They advise further that you may be using your own third party router and this has stopped them from logging on to your modem (remotely). Technical Support may require that you to use an eircom modem in order for them to do a complete check from your network router ( i.e : i checks for packet loss and high ping times).

Let me know if you require a Technical Call back. Also PM me a convenient time and mobile contact number for you.

Before someone calls you from Technical Support, can you please ensure the following quick checks are done on your internal broadband setup :

Powercycle the modem:
    Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    Wait 30 seconds
    Switch the modem back On
    Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

*It is vital that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

Are you connecting wirelessly?

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?

* These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.

Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?

* Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable. Click here for more information on Spyware.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance. Please see contact information below :

Broadband Technical Support - 1890 260260 (lowcall) (Opening hours : 08:00 - 22:00)

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call time and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let us know your case id and we can follow this up as well with Technical Support.

Regards,
    Ant

Advertisement