Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tullamore Show

• 14-08-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Well did many of you go? Just back myself. 60,000 I heard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Muckit wrote: »
    Well did many of you go? Just back myself. 60,000 I heard.

I didn't see a bit of Ya there:). Showers kept away mostly, I have to say these shows are starting to ger a familiar look to them!
    Some super cattle there, I made a point of asking the ages of several and was gobsmacked at their weight for age:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Just back also. No traffic holdups, parking well organised.

Show itself I found very good, something for everyone. Good mix of people present, farmers and general public.

The only thing I am not looking forward to is tommorrow morning, when I have to drag my aching bones out of bed after all the walking I did today. Even so, a very enjoyable day. Congratulations to all the organisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

it was my first time at this show and was exspecting a min ploughing match display by all the hype,i was very dissapointed,the site was the worst i have seen and this was meant to be a improvement on the last,if they got heavy rain that site would have been a swamp as well.the numbers of blonde and part cattle were poor,the quality of the parts was good.it was not what i was exspecting,and wont be in a hurry back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

there isnt that many Parthenaise breeders to show so thats a big part of it.Its still very much a minority breed at the moment but a growing one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

leg wax wrote: »
    it was my first time at this show and was exspecting a min ploughing match display by all the hype,i was very dissapointed,the site was the worst i have seen and this was meant to be a improvement on the last,if they got heavy rain that site would have been a swamp as well.the numbers of blonde and part cattle were poor,the quality of the parts was good.it was not what i was exspecting,and wont be in a hurry back.

I would agree with legwax. The show was a dissappointment ot me too this year. Having gone the last few years, i just didn't think it was as good. The site definitely would have been very mucky if the weather was bad. As it was, I arrived in the car at 1.30 and barely got into the red car park the ground was run ins were so cut up.

Also, as with other years, the 'aisles' or lack of any proper formal block layout makes it impossible to try cover all the ground easily without missing something.

It was a joke also that the IFJ put in a map of the site two weeks ago, but not the key to go with it, so you had no idea who or what were going to be there, so what was the point if you didn't know who exhibitor A1, for example, was??? Perhaps it was deliberate.

The recession definitely rared it's head with alot of the big manufacturers/businesses not present.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

is the ground badly cut up , my husband has to go back down during the week to collect stuff off an exhibitors stand that he left down on friday , he will be in an artic ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just back too, they were lucky with the weather, would hate to see the place on a wet day. Spent most of my time at the livestock which impressed me. Didn't bother with the machinery at all, except the vintage stuff! Wouldn't say there was much business done.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

whelan1 wrote: »
    is the ground badly cut up , my husband has to go back down during the week to collect stuff off an exhibitors stand that he left down on friday , he will be in an artic ...

its ok there now, but if its wet he'd be better off staying home

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Craggy Island

Eventually found my car in the red carpark. People walking around aimlessly searching for their cars. When I went in, my car was at the very right hand side of many rows of cars in the red carpark. By the time I came out they had parked another fifty cars to the right of them again. A bit disorientating.
    ( oh if I only had brought my piece of poo iphone with the 'find my car' feature).
    Then out onto the road and some guard wouldnt let us go back towards Blue Ball,so I and others got to go on a pointless ten mile detour through some bord na mona bogs with no directional signs either.
    To top it all off, the cows didn't milk great when I got home.................................... End of Rant..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mf690

All I can say is relax lads/ladies its a show, ie. a day out. I went had the rubber boots in the car didn't need them had a good look around, had a bag of chips a look a some machinery old and new most of which I can't afford. Admired the work that went into the various showing animals. Other half viewed all horseriding events .Little man overdosed on tractors. Went home without much bother. Like I said a good day out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

mf690 wrote: »
    All I can say is relax lads/ladies its a show, ie. a day out. I went had the rubber boots in the car didn't need them had a good look around, had a bag of chips a look a some machinery old and new most of which I can't afford. Admired the work that went into the various showing animals. Other half viewed all horseriding events .Little man overdosed on tractors. Went home without much bother. Like I said a good day out.
    Now here is a happy customer they went enjoyed the day without any complaint unlike the rest of you :)

As the saying goes you can please some of the people all of the time you can please all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Bizzum wrote: »
    I didn't see a bit of Ya there:). Showers kept away mostly, I have to say these shows are starting to ger a familiar look to them!
    Some super cattle there, I made a point of asking the ages of several and was gobsmacked at their weight for age:rolleyes:.

Never got to go myself, Good idea asking the age, you didnt think to ask how much meal they had consumed to get that weight?

do ya think they where being truthful about their age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i knew i would upset someone but i felt like :rolleyes:,after ordering something off a menu and it comes out on a plate and its not what you were exspecting its cold i thought it was a hot dish :o.

leg wax wrote: »
    i knew i would upset someone but i felt like :rolleyes:,after ordering something off a menu and it comes out on a plate and its not what you were exspecting its cold i thought it was a hot dish :o.
    If it's me you think you upset you didn't :) I went last year to see an event that was well advertised beforehand and was even on the program but never took place. I spent the whole day waiting for it thinking that it would have taken place later :mad: I even inquired at the main office about it and they were clueless :rolleyes: Anyway wasted the whole day f. acting around waiting for the event that never took place :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

the site is a disaster way too spread out - not a patch on the old venue
    there would of been some fun yesterday evening if it had to of rained cars would of ended up sliding into each other, and as for health and safty aroung the rings .... non existant i seen parents pushing buggys up and doen the cattle lines and at the exits from the rings,
    not good enough from the national show

[/QUOTE] As the saying goes you can please some of the people all of the time you can please all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah well, you won't find bob Dylan fannying about trapsing around looking for his car in the car park:D. To be honest though, I found the day fine. Saw the Macra farm skills. Took part in it about ten years ago. Hard going. Just between not being able to find the car, and a guard who couldn't care less ( and 70 cows to milk:pac:) just a bit annoying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

did any find Biffo to give him what for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I was at every show held in the old site but after my experiences of 2009

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61528926

I have decided to give Tullamore a miss for the time being, hope the show was a success.

hope to go to cappamore next Saturday and have a bit of banter with some old acquaintances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Glad I missed it this year so, going by some of these replies! Is anyone going to Mohill to see the Blues and the All Ire Suckler?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Karen112 wrote: »
    Glad I missed it this year so, going by some of these replies! Is anyone going to Mohill to see the Blues and the All Ire Suckler?

There's a limousin YMA workshop in Mohill as well next sunday. Should be interesting. Cloone was quite a good show this year for a change. The good weather brought the crowd but there were some nice cattle on show too.

reilig wrote: »
    There's a limousin YMA workshop in Mohill as well next sunday. Should be interesting. Cloone was quite a good show this year for a change. The good weather brought the crowd but there were some nice cattle on show too.

Horses were down but the cattle numbers were well up in Cloone, was glad to see it! Mohill should be entertaining, first year in a while that I've no cattle/horse to bring so I can have freedom to wander and see all.

F.D wrote: »
    Never got to go myself, Good idea asking the age, you didnt think to ask how much meal they had consumed to get that weight?
    I didn't ask. The bloom off them was awesome, maybe gallons of milk a day.
    do ya think they where being truthful about their age?

I took them at their word:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I wanted to go but couldn't due to logistical problems
    i wanted to get a feel for what are the genetic lines to look for in the Simmentals.

Any insight?

49801 wrote: »
    Any insight?

Ya a good few, if you were near them

Good one Muckit. 10/10. Had to read it twice though.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭jfh

went myself and though it was a good day out, great cattle and sheep, there was talk of making it a 2 day event, it's not big enough for that yet IMO.
    ok the site wasn't great especially trying to push the buggy from the red car park trough long grass but that was my own fault..
    i'd go again

yup, i stupidly brought the buggy to the ploughing match a few years ago, never ever again

yup, i stupidly brought the buggy to the ploughing match a few years ago, never ever again

Ya speaking from experience you'd want 16.9 x 30s all round

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Ya a good few, if you were near them

feckin smart arse;)
    insight:pac::pac::pac::pac:

49801 wrote: »
    feckin smart arse;)

Sorry..... I just couldn't resist :D Sure you have ta have the laugh. Not a simmental man, but I do know there seems to be two brothers (Neenan I think?) from up Mayo side that are always winning prizes at shows for their simmental ped stock
    tull11_2_res_overall_champ_fearna_tiffany.jpg

Maybe this link may be of some help to you
    http://www.irishsimmental.com/site/tullamore-show-results/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I was there Sunday, knew I'd have to leave early so went early and arrived about 10AM, I thought it was well organised with a good atmosphere, plenty of stuff to see and do no matter what your interests are.

I took a few pics, mainly down around the stock and showrings,

6050735279_6cbcd99e8f_z.jpg
    Tullamore Show-32 by cilldara, on Flickr

6051289168_8df76dc0c7_z.jpg
    Tullamore Show-34 by cilldara, on Flickr

6051281282_78047ecaa8_z.jpg
    Tullamore Show-28 by cilldara, on Flickr

6050745069_c5d85e2f49_z.jpg
    Tullamore Show-40 by cilldara, on Flickr

The rest are here if you want to have a look.

I would hope not unless you are pushing a 6 year old around in a buggy :D

Thanx Nilhg for sharing the photos, here's a few more

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue5th/

thanks for the links to the photostreams guys.

• Advertisement

Blue5000
    Is that your Ford 5000 pictured?

Blue5000
    Is that you're Ford 5000 pictured?

No, mine's a 6x, the older type, first registered in aug 1965. Nice to know I could have a stalker:eek: haha.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Nice to know I could have a stalker:eek: haha.

Be afraid, be very afraid:D

No, mine's a 6x, the older type, first registered in aug 1965.

I see her at Eyrecourt alright, I do remember a few around the place. I have to say I admire the vintage lads that keep the flag flying. I know a couple and they are fanatical about it!

I see her at Eyrecourt alright, I do remember a few around the place. I have to say I admire the vintage lads that keep the flag flying. I know a couple and they are fanatical about it!

That is true alright. My uncle has a few of them and because there's only one of him, I'm always put onto a Copperbelly to drive on the vintage runs!

• Advertisement

No, mine's a 6x, the older type, first registered in aug 1965. Nice to know I could have a stalker:eek: haha.
    By 6x do you mean 6 cylinder?

By 6x do you mean 6 cylinder?

No, 4 cylinders, 6x was ford's production code for the earlier tractors (the ones with the vents on the side of the bonnet), I think they were called world series? 6y were the later tractor code from 1967 to '75, also called ford 'force' Great website below if anyone is interested

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=62517a6ee2a7685e98ff8f316a0d2c36

Advertisement