Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Byrnes World of Wonder: Receivership?

Options
  • 14-08-2011 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Just heard that Byrnes World of Wonder has been placed into receivership as is been run as from today by accountants who will run it as a going concern. I have previously worked for them as a a manager and I have to say I do feel sorry for the Byrne family and all the staff. Hopefully something will be worked out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i knew something was going on , tullow street had run out of lots of things lately also and not replaced them. sad day. I know staff working there also.

hope someone takes them over or keeps them going if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

patrickc wrote: »
    i knew something was going on , tullow street had run out of lots of things lately also and not replaced them. sad day. I know staff working there also.

hope someone takes them over or keeps them going if possible.
    Like a lot of businesses their big mistake was getting involved in opening units in out of the way retail parks instead of concentrating on their town centre businesses. Carlow will be at a loss for decent toy shops for the Christmas if they close!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Like a lot of businesses their big mistake was getting involved in opening units in out of the way retail parks instead of concentrating on their town centre businesses. Carlow will be at a loss for decent toy shops for the Christmas if they close!

Ken Black's still going, isn't it? Not in the town centre but still in Carlow and has a much bigger range.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

TBH much better prices also.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    foggy_lad wrote: »

Ken Black's still going, isn't it? Not in the town centre but still in Carlow and has a much bigger range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

the fact they had 3 shops in such a small town was ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I went over to Byrnes on Saturday and there was a sign in the window saying they were closed for stocktaking. I thought that was a very strange thing to do on a Saturday afternoon....

I hope things work out for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

At least receivership gives hope. But like many businesses, they expanded, were charged high rents and ridiculously high commercial rates and once the market turned neither county councils nor landlords responded to retailers until it was too late for many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

And I just finished my book too!
    Dammit....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

they only took stock of ours the other day. i hope this pans out and the place stays open.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

Mr E wrote: »
    I went over to Byrnes on Saturday and there was a sign in the window saying they were closed for stocktaking. I thought that was a very strange thing to do on a Saturday afternoon....

I hope things work out for them.

Those signs were there on monday as well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Byrnes reached corporate size but never adopted corporate management.

Sad to see them go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Fishtits wrote: »
    Byrnes reached corporate size but never adopted corporate management.

Sad to see them go.

That's probably the most apt and accurate statement about it.

Possibly the years 2004-2011 should be written about and shown as a lesson how not to expand.

Smyths (Irish owned family business) are now one of the biggest players in UK / Irish market (53 stores of which 33 are in Britain, 6 in NI & just 14 in ROI and a very very heathy bank balance) and started their growth only a couple of years previously - but they hired in buyers, merchandisers, marketing managers & HR managers.

Unfortunately for Byrnes, they thought they could do everything themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 UBd

glad they are gone. sympathy and respect to all the staff..... employers should snap them up quickly, they were always excellent!

bring on easons!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Byrnes Carlow and Kilkenny are closing their doors tomorrow. sad news. there are some great bargains in the Carlow one today I must say.

Advertisement