Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent Help with 4 week old puppy

• 14-08-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I have a 4 week old yorkie pup and only got her 2 days ago
    I had he down playing and a wasp or a bee flew into the house and i think it has stung her

She let out a small yelp only for a second and then ran away.
    It has either stung her under the chin or on her lip, she has a small lump under her chin,
    She doesnt seem to be on any pain only when you try look in her mouth and her form is still the same, (playing, eating and sleeping)

I dont no if this a serious thing to happen to such a young pup or if she will be ok

Can anyone help :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

2 important things to address:
    sparky89 wrote: »
    a 4 week old yorkie pup and only got her 2 days ago:confused:
    Are you sure she's only 4 weeks old? This is 60% younger than you should have a pup away from its mother. 10 weeks is a minimum. Off the point of your post so...the bee sting.

Some animals, like humans react very badly (anaphalactic shock) to insect stings. It happens pretty much within minutes, so if she's not drooling, trembling,collapsing then i wouldnt be instantly concerned. Although, im making these assumptions on a much older animal compared to a 4 week old puppy who mightnt have built up enough strength to tolerate a bee sting.

What is her demeanour now? To be honest OP, your pup should not be away from its mother for another 4-6 weeks (are you handrearing?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Em. A 4 week pup shouldn't be away from it's mother ! I really hope you also have the mother as it's too young to be whelped yet

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

The dog it adopted as the mother passed away and i am hand rearing the pup
    The pup is fit and healthy.

anniehoo wrote: »
    2 important things to address:

Are you sure she's only 4 weeks old? This is 60% younger than you should have a pup away from its mother. 10 weeks is a minimum. Off the point of your post so...the bee sting.

Some animals, like humans react very badly (anaphalactic shock) to insect stings. It happens pretty much within minutes, so if she's not drooling, trembling,collapsing then i wouldnt be instantly concerned. Although, im making these assumptions on a much older animal compared to a 4 week old puppy who mightnt have built up enough strength to tolerate a bee sting.

What is her demeanour now? To be honest OP, your pup should not be away from its mother for another 4-6 weeks (are you handrearing?).

She is fast asleep now, she seems ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

sparky89 wrote: »
    She is fast asleep now, she seems ok.
    You're handrearing, fair play. They're incredibly vulnerable at this age as im sure you're well aware. If there was no reaction within minutes she will hopefully be fine. Did she get any colostrum (first immunity milk/antibodies) in her first few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Seems like its a lucky puppy to have got a kind owner. My dog got stung biting a bee once but he was ok and he learned to keep away from them. Suffered no ill effects. Hope your puppy continues to thrive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Fair play to you Sparkey. Hand rearing a pup is hard work. I did this also. Every 2 to 3 hours feeding, especially during the night was hard. But I love her all the more now.

anniehoo wrote: »
    You're handrearing, fair play. They're incredibly vulnerable at this age as im sure you're well aware. If there was no reaction within minutes she will hopefully be fine. Did she get any colostrum (first immunity milk/antibodies) in her first few weeks?

Yes she got her mothers milk for the 1st 3 weeks

She was fine from the sting and had no reactions :)

maringo wrote: »
    Seems like its a lucky puppy to have got a kind owner. My dog got stung biting a bee once but he was ok and he learned to keep away from them. Suffered no ill effects. Hope your puppy continues to thrive. :)

Bella is doing great, the sting had no effect thank god :)

Advertisement