Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

djtwigster wrote: »
    Got one of these a couple of weeks ago, bargain in my opinion. Only size medium and small left though.
    http://cyclingweekly.ipcshop.co.uk/shop/discounts/altura-ergofit-blue-gilet?refererTitle=&refererUrl=%2fcms%2fhome

Any idea what size would suit someone 5' 8'' and slim build?
    Bargain alright, would deffo buy one if I knew it fit.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

terrydel wrote: »
    Thanks.

I'd go with the small. I'm a similar height and weigh 65kg I'm small in most clothes. I have some medium alutura stuff I bought when I first started that I don't wear any more as it's to big. Some of this is down to being slightly lighter now but mostly not really knowing back then cycling gear is more comfortable when it is well fitted and tight.

A lot does depend on manufactures though I have medium in Spin11 club gear and castelli, no way I'd fit in their small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Ryath wrote: »
    I'd go with the small. I'm a similar height and weigh 65kg I'm small in most clothes. I have some medium alutura stuff I bought when I first started that I don't wear any more as it's to big. Some of this is down to being slightly lighter now but mostly not really knowing cycling gear is more comfortable when it is well fitted and tight.

A lot does depend on manufactures though I have medium in Spin11 club gear and castelli, no way I'd fit in their small.

Cheers. Might try find an altura jacket to try on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭djtwigster

terrydel wrote: »
    Thanks.

Go with the medium, i'm 5'9'' with a 32'' waist and of slim build and the medium fits me perfect. I also have a medium in the altura varium jacket which is perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Campy Sciroccos on sale at €220 on SwimCycleRun
    (zondas are €320)

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/weekly-special-offers/campagnolo-scirocco-h35-wheelset-shimano-hub-.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Any nice soul have a CRC voucher going spare? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

week11_sun_st_patricks_ie_01?$Email$

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Cant copy and paste all the details but the code is PADDY17 but the small print says minimum spend must be 99€. Ends midnight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Any nice soul have a CRC voucher going spare? :)

week11_sun_st_patricks_ie_01?$Email$
    week11_sun_st_patricks_ie_02?$Email$

Seweryn wrote: »
    Big picture

I had tried that earlier and it didn't seem to be working. Took a pair of mavic gloves out and it worked fine. Added them back in all discounts gone - ah well. Still a good discount and still had enough to buy to get he discount, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I had tried that earlier and it didn't seem to be working. Took a pair of mavic gloves out and it worked fine. Added them back in all discounts gone - ah well. Still a good discount and still had enough to buy to get he discount, thanks.
    Buy the Mavic gloves separately? Mavic is one of the small print excluded items, and they say orders with those brands (as opposed to the portion of the order containing them) won't be eligible.

cython wrote: »
    Buy the Mavic gloves separately? Mavic is one of the small print excluded items, and they say orders with those brands (as opposed to the portion of the order containing them) won't be eligible.

Yeah that's what I did in the end. You would have expected it just to have not applied the discount to the gloves but to everything else. Still - it saved me a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭robfahy

Adidas miCoach Ant+ HRM and iPhone/iPod adapter for €28
    http://www.adidas.ie/micoach-connect-heart-rate-monitor-for-ipod-%2F-iphone/V42040_500.html
    I'm guessing it should work with Garmin Edge and Forerunner as it uses Ant+ Also has the iPhone adapter which should work with Strava, Map My Ride/Run, Runtastic, etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cycle superstore have their bi-annual mavic Aksium wheelet deal

149euro for the pair

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

At the risk of being lynched, I thought I'd mention that Rapha has 30% off base layers until midnight Sunday 23rd March.

Of course free shipping is available, (if you spend €220 or over!), otherwise shipping is €10.

http://www.rapha.cc/eu/en/shop/base-layers/category/base-layers

From reviews it seems that they are expensive but good quality, I don't have one myself and can't justify the cost at the moment.

Let the Rapha bashing commence. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

At the risk of being lynched, I thought I'd mention that Rapha has 30% off base layers until midnight Sunday 23rd March.

Of course free shipping is available, (if you spend €220 or over!), otherwise shipping is €10.

http://www.rapha.cc/eu/en/shop/base-layers/category/base-layers

From reviews it seems that they are expensive but good quality, I don't have one myself and can't justify the cost at the moment.

Let the Rapha bashing commence. ;)

Ive got base layer in Lidl for 7.99 or whatever it was + waterproof marker @€;3 to rename it to rapha = much better deal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Omri, you've cracked it. Maybe that is what Sky are doing. Buying Altura and sticking a Rapha crest on it!!!

sent from my Somsung

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Polar RCX3 for €121 for 48 hours at bikeinn (http://www.bikeinn.com/bike/polar-rcx3-bike-black-/42182/p). Not a Polar fan but similar looking watch is up to €200 on Wiggle (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/polar-rcx3-training-computer/)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

From reviews it seems that [Rapha merino base layers] are expensive but good quality, I don't have one myself and can't justify the cost at the moment.

I have a few of them for a few years now and can confirm that they are indeed good quality. I have good quality merino from some other brands, most notably ChocolateFish and IceBreaker, and in my opinion the Rapha merino base layers are on a par with those from ChocolateFish (though Rapha ones are arguably better designed for use under cycling kit, but that’s a subjective opinion) and better than those from IceBreaker in terms of quality. And the prices are very similar too across all three brands.

Rapha lose some green points though for having their merino stuff made in Taiwan (or China, I can’t quite remember), as do IceBreaker. ChocolateFish stuff is made in New Zealand, which they insist upon because they say they can stand over the quality of the raw wool, the standard of working conditions, and the (minimal) impact on the environment, in these circumstances. Unfortunately though, they recently announced that their merino supplier is outsourcing manufacture to China soon so ChocolateFish will no longer buy merino from them due to the ethical concerns this raises, so once they sell off existing stock of merino they’ll simply not sell the range any longer.

I also have much cheaper merino from Planet-X which is rubbish by comparison. You get what you pay for with merino, in my experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

omri wrote: »
    Ive got base layer in Lidl for 7.99 or whatever it was + waterproof marker @€;3 to rename it to rapha = much better deal :)

is this your car?
    fake-sports-car.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Following on a from a few (too many ...) punctures, I'm looking to bulk-buy some (5?, 10?) 700c 18-25 tubes........anyone spot any deals recently...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Following on a from a few (too many ...) punctures, I'm looking to bulk-buy some (5?, 10?) 700c 18-25 tubes........anyone spot any deals recently...?

Did you check inside of your tyres for any sharp objects ? :)

Go latex
    http://www.swimcyclerun.com/accessories/vittoria-latex-tube.html

Ran these all last year with conti attack/force tyres with no punctures ~5000km

Or

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p677_Schlauch-Race-28.html

Got these from starbike.com for €2.90 last week still a good price here
    get a pair of these while your at it to make the postage worth while.

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p14682%7B1%7D20201_Grand-Prix-4000-S-Faltreifen---Auslaufmodell.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

CJC999 wrote: »
    Campy Sciroccos on sale at €220 on SwimCycleRun
    (zondas are €320)

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/weekly-special-offers/campagnolo-scirocco-h35-wheelset-shimano-hub-.html

Why did you have to tell me that....I could afford those, I just need to get through April without eating or electricity.

Ryath wrote:
    Go latex
    http://www.swimcyclerun.com/accessor...atex-tube.html

Ran these all last year with conti attack/force tyres with no punctures ~5000km

I used 23mm latex tubes in my “winter” bike all of last year and the previous winter and found them excellent - comfortable and no punctures. I moved to 25mm tyres for this winter but couldn’t find any 25mm latex tubes to go with them. I’ve since found Vredestein 25mm latex tubes online but they cost UK£12 each, those Vittoria ones above are very good value by comparison so thanks for posting the link.

doozerie wrote: »
    I used 23mm latex tubes in my “winter” bike all of last year and the previous winter and found them excellent - comfortable and no punctures. I moved to 25mm tyres for this winter but couldn’t find any 25mm latex tubes to go with them. I’ve since found Vredestein 25mm latex tubes online but they cost UK£12 each, those Vittoria ones above are very good value by comparison so thanks for posting the link.

Just stuck some 25mm Grand prix 4 seaons on the new winter bike, already had some 23mm latex was tempted to stick them in but went with 25mm conti butyl tubes I had.
    Did you just buy all the 25 latex? Now out of stock :(

I have more 23mm latex on the way for the race bike but I might try and get some for the winter bike. I do like how the feel seem more comfortable(that may be all in my head) and they do seem more resistant to punctures

Ryath wrote:
    Just stuck some 25mm Grand prix 4 seaons on the new winter bike, already had some 23mm latex was tempted to stick them in but went with 25mm conti butyl tubes I had.
    Did you just by the 25 latex? Now out of stock :(

Those are the very same tyres that I’ve been riding on this winter and I found them very good - I swapped out 23mm GP4000S and I can’t tell any difference between the two sets of tyres in terms of rolling speed or grip, and a quick check with a weighing scales recently showed no difference in weight between the two either which took me by surprise. I briefly considered using my 23mm (Michelin) latex tubes in the 25mm tyres too but ruled it out as I wasn’t sure that latex would tolerate being stretched like that.

And yes, I did put through an order for those 25mm latex ones a few minutes ago. Sorry! I’d no idea that I’d taken the last of their stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

got these the other day, work out at €2.50 each, ordered enough stuff to loose the delivery charge.

And yes, I did put through an order for those 25mm latex ones a few minutes ago. Sorry! I’d no idea that I’d taken the last of their stock.

:mad::)
    Ah they'll probably have them again. I think you're ok going up a tyre size with butyl tubes probably not good with latex they lose pressure quick enough. I'm sure the butyls are fine but could get the weight down :)

My new Son schimdt dynamo hub on a open pro rim with a GP4 seasons only weights 20grams more than the stock wheel with a schwalbe lugano. Need get under that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

Latex Tubes are fast, I used them in my TT bike with Vittoria Open Corsa Tyres, but.... they are motherfu(kers to install and blew up a couple of them (They are scary when they explode) as they got caught between the tyre and the rim. Blew the tyre off the rim when it happened.

Has anybody ever punctured a tyre with a latex tube in it? Is it a violent thing with a big bang as the tube disentagrates or same same(but different) as a butylin tube where they go quietly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement