Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

colm_gti wrote: »
    Just seen planet x are now doing the pro carbon with 11 speed ultegra for £999.99....regardless of what people have to say about the frame that's gotta be a serious bargain!
    very tempted to full the trigger on this.
    what is the problem with the frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

flying11 wrote: »
    very tempted to full the trigger on this.
    what is the problem with the frame?

Some people say it's made of wet noodles. I have mine nearly four years and I love it. It's a comfortable frame and I find it plenty stiff and have never had any issues. Plenty of far stronger and heavier guys here and in my club have it with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I really need to start laying the "I'm thinking of getting a new bike" groundwork. I'd totally pull the trigger on that PX except that I enjoy sleeping in my bed. At least if I've given her several months to come around to the fact that I'm about to blow €1500 on a new bike, it won't come as quite a shock when I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

forgiveness is easier to get than permission

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ryath wrote: »
    Some people say it's made of wet noodles. I have mine nearly four years and I love it. It's a comfortable frame and I find it plenty stiff and have never had any issues. Plenty of far stronger and heavier guys here and in my club have it with no issues.

So you have had no,flex issues?

I'm more tempted by the 57 the next bike up. Same issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Jocry wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I'm thinking the Large would be my size, Im just under 6ft

Echo the LBS sentiment. If all else fails, at least work from your inside leg measurement. And I mean an accurate inside leg, not "close enough for a new pair of jeans out of Tesco if they go "low rider" or yanked up the other way...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

godtabh wrote: »

I have 2 Planet Xs, a Nanolight and a Carbon Pro.
    I am 185cm(6'1) and when people are being charitable, they describe me as a Clydesdale. I have never had any problem with flex with either bike. I have done 3 W200s and several other sportives on them. I average about 15,000kms per year.
    Great bikes, great value.

Btw, my Nanolight is size 58cms, my Carbon Pro is size XL.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

WOW that's some deal alright... a new Ultegra groupset alone is about €600 (CRC), so you're getting a carbon frame & wheels for another €600! :eek:

Tempting...

Tell you next week LBS should be finished building my new RT57 this weekend if the finishing kit comes today as promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Tell you next week LBS should be finished building my new RT57 this weekend if the finishing kit comes today as promised.

Crickey it's still not ready! I remember you collected that frame when I got my rt58 and that's a month ago!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'll be in touch!

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Crickey it's still not ready! I remember you collected that frame when I got my rt58 and that's a month ago!

It's only been 16 days! I could have had it sooner but I'm going for fizik finishing kit and was trying to get hold of their carbon seatpost which can not be got for love or money. Getting an alloy one for the moment and I'll swap it in the summer when it becomes available.

Wasn't to pushed anyway was using the winter bike exclusively recently in prep for the Easter Fleche. Felt good though to be back on the Planet X for the club league last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

the Planet X versus this?

Green&Red wrote: »

No contest the supersix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Green&Red wrote: »

Bought wheels off micase 6 weeks ago. They are perfect. Have circa 2k on them since without a bother.
    @seweryn was original owner, good man to look after stuff. Buy it with wheels dt swiss hubs sound nice

Rented a supersix twice for long hilly spins. Lovely bike

ford2600 wrote: »
    Bought wheels off micase 6 weeks ago. They are perfect. Have circa 2k on them since without a bother.
    @seweryn was original owner, good man to look after stuff. Buy it with wheels dt swiss hubs sound nice

Rented a supersix twice for long hilly spins. Lovely bike

I would have bought it myself when seweryn put it up except I had just ordered the RT57. He could have got more for it I reckon. It was a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

The bigger the frame the more flex, I would have thought?

By all above accounts, however, there doesn't seem to be much first hand evidence of any major flex on any particular model or size at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

cycleoin86 wrote: »
    The bigger the frame the more flex, I would have thought?

By all above accounts, however, there doesn't seem to be much first hand evidence of any major flex on any particular model or size at all!

He doesn't mean a size 57 he means the next model in the lineup the rt57...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    He doesn't mean a size 57 he means the next model in the lineup the rt57...

Ah! Gotcha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I've heard a lot of people talking about frame flex on the Plant X bikes. A few years back, I'm thinking 4 maybe, they had a very good rep. They changed frame supplier and for one entire batch had woeful frames that had all the feel of a wet sponge. This didn't last long and while I can't recall if they changed supplier again or simply stood on top of the one they had they are now back to their excellent quality. The Pro SL with Ultegra is the bargain or all bargains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭cython

€15 off a spend of €99 or more from Chain Reaction using code APR, according to an email this morning. Valid until 2pm on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Shimano dura ace9000 pedals. Nrp around 250 Euro. On 4thebike.Dr for 139 Euro. Only an hour left though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-r501-wheels-49086.html

Shimano R501 wheels, €85 for the pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭park500

Amazon have 20% off selected items under code spring14.
    Discount is additional to existing discount if present.
    I ordered a gore phantom jacket for £54.37
    The additional discount is applied at check out.
    Cant post link.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

Lots of cycling items from Aldi on the 4th of May: (I'm a newbie so can't post url, but go to aldi.ie)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

zarker wrote: »
    Lots of cycling items from Aldi on the 4th of May: (I'm a newbie so can't post url, but go to aldi.ie)

Here's the link.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-4th-may/

Thinking of getting the bag and a light jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Here's the link.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-4th-may/

Thinking of getting the bag and a light jacket.
    Gloves, shoes and socks are probably the main movers. The tool bag will make a decent saddlebag for the money once the tools are removed.

Not sure about the cycling underwear. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

No Pants wrote: »
    I got a pair a few years ago and they're not great. The chamois/padding is really thin. If you're cycling far enough to need/want padding, then proper shorts would be better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No Pants wrote: »
    Gloves, shoes and socks are probably the main movers. The tool bag will make a decent saddlebag for the money once the tools are removed.

I might get the tool bag as well actually. It'd be handy for keeping my wallet and phone in when I'm on the bike. I'm paranoid they'll fall out every time I'm cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

need a spare gilet and rain jacket, might try the socks and arm warmers if they look ok. Anyone know if the windproof base layer anygood

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement