Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Alek wrote: »
    Why?

Some people have been experiencing long delays with the delivery of their items in the run up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Forgot to mention the contact in decathlon is Beth her email is: beth.harper@decathlon she will look after you, she sent me on the details above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

rtmie wrote: »
    BTW does anyone know of an alternative to parcelmotel. Used to be a big fan but they seem to have lost the plot this Xmas.

They're suffering from a huge increase in product awareness but unfortunately don't seem to have capacity to cope with it. They've had temporary motels setup outside existing ones for a few hours during the day to cope with the increase in volume they're seeing for the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Kinet1c wrote: »
    They're suffering from a huge increase in product awareness but unfortunately don't seem to have capacity to cope with it. They've had temporary motels setup outside existing ones for a few hours during the day to cope with the increase in volume they're seeing for the holidays.

Had a parcel motel package delivered to their depot on Monday. Got to collect it from a box on Saturday.
    Just glad I was able to get it before Christmas. They should add more boxes to their pickup locations. Or just add loads more pickup locations

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

They extended max time from Dublin depot to motels from 24 hours to 48 for Dec, which I'd regard as reasonable. However I was using them for quite a bit of Xmas shopping(cos I found service to be so good last yr) and most stuff took 3-4 days from "in transit" to arrived, couple of times requiring me chasing via support to get stuff re-sent. Oh and as of now still missing one thing which has proof of delivery to Antrim depot 4 days ago from supplier but has not been processed in their system at all seems to be missing. Main reason this is annoying is that delays in general delivery meant it only became clear that this one was completely missing yesterday.
    All in all looks like they have not invested to support their growth. Suspect they don't have enough slots in the motels.
    Hope they sort it, as I said was a big fan and promoter of them but hard to have confidence at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rtmie wrote: »
    They extended max time from Dublin depot to motels from 24 hours to 48 for Dec, which I'd regard as reasonable. However I was using them for quite a bit of Xmas shopping(cos I found service to be so good last yr) and most stuff took 3-4 days from "in transit" to arrived, couple of times requiring me chasing via support to get stuff re-sent. Oh and as of now still missing one thing which has proof of delivery to Antrim depot 4 days ago from supplier but has not been processed in their system at all seems to be missing. Main reason this is annoying is that delays in general delivery meant it only became clear that this one was completely missing yesterday.
    All in all looks like they have not invested to support their growth. Suspect they don't have enough slots in the motels.
    Hope they sort it, as I said was a big fan and promoter of them but hard to have confidence at the minute.
    I had a parcel delivered on the 17 only got checked in last night at 9:30. Borderline weather I'll get it by Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

For anyone still thinking about getting a Garmin Virb, I'd recommend trying the American site. http://www.clevertraining.com/garmin-virb-and-virb-elite-action-camera.html?acc=1679091c5a880faf6fb5e6087eb1b2dc

Mines just arrived today (ordered 16/12/14) there was no vat or duty charged. Final cost €106.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

jinkypolly wrote: »
    For anyone still thinking about getting a Garmin Virb, I'd recommend trying the American site. http://www.clevertraining.com/garmin-virb-and-virb-elite-action-camera.html?acc=1679091c5a880faf6fb5e6087eb1b2dc

Mines just arrived today (ordered 16/12/14) there was no vat or duty charged. Final cost €106.

I ordered from here too

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

godtabh wrote: »
    I ordered from here too

Whats the feeling on the Garmin Virb? Tempted to pull the trigger on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm happy with mine so far. Image quality better than anticipated, too heavy for mounting on helmet but this was expected. Very good build quality too, including mounts. Ability to start/stop from my Edge 800 is very handy too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

talkabout wrote: »
    Whats the feeling on the Garmin Virb? Tempted to pull the trigger on one.

Went to order myself too but wondered do I really need it which is strange for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

jamesd wrote: »
    Went to order myself too but wondered do I really need it which is strange for me.

You don't need it but it's a good gadget to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I so nearly bought one myself earlier but hate having to much crap hanging off the bars. Decided to pick up a knock off go pro and chest mount for the xc bike instead. I'd say these would be handy to have if you commute through the city. Also if you want all the bells and whistles you need the next one up.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I so nearly bought one myself earlier but hate having to much crap hanging off the bars. Decided to pick up a knock off go pro and chest mount for the xc bike instead. I'd say these would be handy to have if you commute through the city. Also if you want all the bells and whistles you need the next one up.

Why do you need the next one up?

Why do you need the next one up?

If you're looking to only have this on your bars and not a garmin or similar aswell. The elite has GPS and ant+ for heart rate/cadence/PM.

You don't need it but I don't think the basic one has GPS or ant+.

I may well be wrong though I just had a quick look at them today when I saw the link above pop up.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If you're looking to only have this on your bars and not a garmin or similar aswell. The elite has GPS and ant+ for heart rate/cadence/PM.

You don't need it but I don't think the basic one has GPS or ant+.

I may well be wrong though I just had a quick look at them today when I saw the link above pop up.
    The elite is useless as a replacement edge. All your sensor data can be imported from your edge so the standard virb is spot on for cycling

The elite is useless as a replacement edge. All your sensor data can be imported from your edge so the standard virb is spot on for cycling

I thought that might be the case.

As I was saying handy for a commuter but probably not the best option for trails which is what I was considering it for.

Looks to be a nice bit of kit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

rtmie wrote:

OK feel beholden to update this. Parcelmotel followed up with this morning, located the missing item and got it delivered by this evening. So worst I can accuse them of is raising my stress level but they came through in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bren_s

Weepsie wrote: »
    Decathlon have a half decent sale at the moment. Filled up a "basket" a I've finally got around to using parcel motel, go to check out and im stumped by the Billing address post code!! Bargains to be had for people who know how to get around that anyway

I ordered from Decathlon recently and used the same Parcel Motel address details for billing and shipping and as I paid with Paypal, it went through no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

should i wait until later during the week to order stuff off wiggle
    will the sale get better?

ordering team wiggle gear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

dunworth1 wrote: »
    should i wait until later during the week to order stuff off wiggle
    will the sale get better?

ordering team wiggle gear?

Hold on while I check my crystal ball........... Yes, the sale will get better but only XS and XXXXL sizes will be left at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Cateye Strada Cadence (wired) €20 on wiggle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

cdaly_ wrote: »

Thanks - very tempted as am in the market for a basic one. Had been thinking of the Sierra wireless one for €40 - is wireless worth the extra €20??

I was looking at wireless for the new bike but I'm not sure that the dynamo hub won't interfere with the wireless signal. I reckon I can hide the wiring well enough that it won't be an issue and I've had one of these for the last 4 years and it's been very good.

OTOH, €40 is a pretty good price for wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I was looking at wireless for the new bike but I'm not sure that the dynamo hub won't interfere with the wireless signal. I reckon I can hide the wiring well enough that it won't be an issue and I've had one of these for the last 4 years and it's been very good.

Thanks I guess the answer is that it probably doesn't matter too much as in about 6 months I'll want to upgrade to a garmin anyway! :D:D:D The joys of being a newbie :)

Thanks I guess the answer is that it probably doesn't matter too much as in about 6 months I'll want to upgrade to a garmin anyway! :D:D:D The joys of being a newbie :)

Been there done that, just get the garmin now. I promise you'll be upgrading in less then 6 months :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've an old Garmin I sometimes use for navigating new routes copied down from the net, and it does interfere with the cateye. For someone like yourself into audax this could pose a problem, as you may need the accumulated distance on the cateye for navigation on a long route where everything else has run out of batteries. Depends whether you want something minimal and reliable or all the bells and whistles. Dynamo hub with USB outlet?

Exactly this. I'll have the cateye in any case. Haven't got sucked into the Garmin upgrade vortex yet, SportsTracker app on the phone does nicely for now.

Trouble with USB off dynamo is the devices are pretty pricey and you usually have to choose between lights or USB charging...

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Cheers, had been meaning to get a cheap and cheerful computer with cadence to put on the turbo bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Catlike Whisper helmets will be 25 quid in Halfords from tomorrow until sold out. Must say though they're not in any way comfortable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement