Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Stillnotworking

27cyrix wrote: »
    Just back from Carrickmines, There are only two M size left.

I but a MET crossover for 25 euro instead.

Also, LOTS locks are better than HALF price
    ABUS GRANT-plus 35 euro (2 left)
    MUCH CHEAPER THAN AMAZON
    ABUS veroso(something start with v anyway) 30euro
    ABUS GRANT-Xplus 90euro

In the Tallaght branch the large ones are scanning at €73. I asked were they at €25 and it seems they were for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

ckeego wrote: »
    In store they are 25 euro!

My sister picked one up for me in Carrickmines an hour ago.. A few in stock, marked at up to 94 euro, but 25 at the till
    Aye, apologies folks, should have mentioned the price only applies at the till. Tickets aren't being changed but there should be a large display on a pallet of the discounted lids with no prizes on them. They've had a terrible time trying to shift the Catlike stuff despite it being cheaper than most online outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

ABEasy wrote: »

Anyone order off this company before? Delivery times to Ireland?

Seriously tempted at ordering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Steve, I brought one to the till, it registered at €73.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

penguin88 wrote: »
    If your get to the top of the queue for the deal, you get a pop up on the Amazon site and the item goes into your basket at the deal price for I think 15 minutes. If it was for the Garmin edge 500, that offer finished up at noon. It's a nice piece of kit so keep an eye on the site, they tend to repeat these lightening deal items after a few days.

Cool, I'd say I missed the boat on that so, but I'll keep an eye out for it again. I did manage to pick up the garmin forerunner 910 xt for £139, but I'm not sure if that or the edge 500 would be better for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Ky Abu wrote: »
    Anyone order off this company before? Delivery times to Ireland?

Seriously tempted at ordering!

bought a couple of pairs of oakleys from them over the years normally around a week delivery but they do charge shipping to ire

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

bazzer86 wrote: »
    Cool, I'd say I missed the boat on that so, but I'll keep an eye out for it again. I did manage to pick up the garmin forerunner 910 xt for £139, but I'm not sure if that or the edge 500 would be better for me.

Ive both! Forerunner is great and you easily use it for cycling only. The only thing is the battery on the edge 500 would last longer if you were going to be doing long sportives at some stage.

£139 is a great price by the way!

bought a couple of pairs of oakleys from them over the years normally around a week delivery but they do charge shipping to ire

hi thanks for reply.

Their genuine Oakleys they sell?
    Any place better value Oakleys than that site?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Ive both! Forerunner is great and you easily use it for cycling only. The only thing is the battery on the edge 500 would last longer if you were going to be doing long sportives at some stage.

£139 is a great price by the way!

Yeah it's pretty good isn't it... When I saw it retails at over €400 I said I'd go for it, ended up getting a second for my brother in a panic before it sold out but he doesn't need it so I'm going to sell it for what I paid on adverts.

Says the battery life is 20 hours and the longest spin I would be doing is the ring of Kerry. Does it give you your current pace on the bike, what would the edge 500 do that the forerunner doesn't do? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »

I fixed that for you :D Nice frame though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Ky Abu wrote: »
    hi thanks for reply.

Their genuine Oakleys they sell?
    Any place better value Oakleys than that site?

As far as I know yes my 2 pairs both all boxed with what looked like genuine packaging

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Took a punt on this

Cratoni C-Shot Helmet 2014 €50 delivered via parel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Re the Catlike Whisper helmets at Halfords: My Catlike Whisper Plus was the best helmet I've had - light, very comfortable, very well ventilated (so best for summer really, might feel draughty in the winter even with a hat underneath). Mine cost about 150euro a few years back, 25euro is a bargain, to say the least.

Anyway, I rang Halfords in Carrickmines this afternoon, to be told that their price was back up to 73euro, that the 25euro offer was for 24 hours only, and that the pricing was a mistake in the first place and they should never have been 25euro. I then rang Halfords in Tallaght, to be told that yes they were still 25euro and they have several in stock.

I went out to Tallaght to find that the remaining boxed stock was a mix of models (Whisper, Vacuum, Leaf, Tiko), and sizes, all of them sitting under a large sign saying that they were 25euro. They had one Whisper in my size (medium) but it was unboxed on the display stand. Display helmets obviously have the risk of having been hopped off the ground more than once but it looked okay (I realise that you often can't tell with polystyrene but the outer shell looked unmarked) so I was willing to risk it. Turns out though that the display helmets are not reduced, Halfords say they are a different model (this one had a manufacture date of 2013, at least one of the boxed ones on offer was 2012) but they offered to give it to me for 50euro, which I was willing to pay. I bought a boxed one (small) for my daughter, turns out it fits a 5yr-old head and for 25euro it's far better value than any of the usual kids helmets I've seen.

Long story short, the story with these helmets clearly varies from store to store. Not all of the helmets they have are reduced but certainly in the case of Tallaght the boxed ones are all 25euro and look like they'll remain so until sold out. Tallaght had only 2 Whispers left, I think, one small and one large.

Beware that the sizing differs between Catlike models, at least it does for my head anyway. So for the Whisper I take a medium, for the Vacuum I was a large.

A lot of talk of helmets these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Just to add to the Halfords helmet saga. Just picked up a large black whisper in Tallaght :D. It seemed a bit random, the guy said 73, then another staff member came over and said no they are 25. Chuffed. Many thanks to the OP for this one.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

yes, the catlike helmets do vary in size. The whisper large Is up to 61cm while the taco is up to 63cm!
    ThAnks too op!

browsing wrote: »
    yes, the catlike helmets do vary in size. The whisper large Is up to 61cm while the taco is up to 63cm!
    ThAnks too op!

Going to chance Halfords myself too!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Just picked up the last large size Whisper in the Tallaght branch. One small size left. Asked the assistant if they are €25 and was told yes and to take it to the till downstairs. Girl at the till scans the bar code and says €73.58 please. I told her that they were reduced to €25, so she went upstairs to check and came back down confirming that €25 was the price. Seems a bit of a lottery depending on which branch you go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

am looking for a bit of advice, im seriously thinking of getting this bike on offer from halfords

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-karkinos-limited-edition-road-bike-2015?cm_re=Pillar+Main-_-banner-_-cyclingsale

I used to cycle many years ago (mainly mountin bikes) and have been looking to get back in to it for the new year and thought this might be a good entry level bike.

Does anyone have this or might know of anyone who has one and are they any good?

Are there better bike out there for the same price i should be looking at?

Cheers

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

EXPIRED

I'm not sure if this is a bargain or has been up already but for anyone looking for a turbo trainer this one is on a lightning deal on Amazon £260-£168-£120

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ANSGJ4A/ref=gb1h_tit_c-2_2227_6e5c59a5?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=1VHPAJ5TATJB62ZWN8QP&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=562712227

Tacx-Booster-turbo-trainer[1].jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I now own a Catlike Whisper.

No idea why tbh.

Having a small brain/head worked in my favour for once. Props to the young Halfords lady in Tallaght who had to stand in for my missus, to tell me which size suited me best.

That Catlike Vacuum that they are doing for 25e seemed really nice too.
    All the Catlike ones they are selling are a Bargain at 25e. The Vacuum is 75 pounds on Wiggle, for example.

I now own a Catlike Whisper.

No idea why tbh.

Having a small brain/head worked in my favour for once. Props to the young Halfords lady in Tallaght who had to stand in for my missus, to tell me which size suited me best.

That Catlike Vacuum that they are doing for 25e seemed really nice too.
    All the Catlike ones they are selling are a Bargain at 25e. The Vacuum is 75 pounds on Wiggle, for example.

are the vacums €25? saw 2 in carrickmines but the paint was peeling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

godtabh wrote: »
    are the vacums €25? saw 2 in carrickmines but the paint was peeling

Yep. There are a few other types available too.

The Vacuums in Tallaght were brand new.

based on what I saw I cant imagine that they would wear well

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭27cyrix

Muc-Off Xtra value bike care pack (degrease and ptfe spray) 6 euro in Halfords.

It is scanned at 10euro, but the label on the shelf says it is 6. You need to tell the casher it is 6 on sale.
    The lady told me that they are updating all the sales prices.

Pay it on ground floor, there is no any sales sign on the first floor. The sales shelf is on the right of you if you stand at the front of the casher.

Triple pack(the one with lub) is 10euro, was 18euro.

It is in carrickmines, not sure about any other stores

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

SC Kevin wrote: »
    am looking for a bit of advice, im seriously thinking of getting this bike on offer from halfords

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-karkinos-limited-edition-road-bike-2015?cm_re=Pillar+Main-_-banner-_-cyclingsale

I used to cycle many years ago (mainly mountin bikes) and have been looking to get back in to it for the new year and thought this might be a good entry level bike.

Does anyone have this or might know of anyone who has one and are they any good?

Are there better bike out there for the same price i should be looking at?

Cheers

Kev
    You'd be better off trying to snag something a bit better second hand. Not as much of bargain as you'd thinking considering they were selling the same bike just in a different colour scheme and name for €288 during the summer.

Glad the whole Catlike helmet saga is finally paying off for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is a bargain or has been up already but for anyone looking for a turbo trainer this one is on a lightning deal on Amazon £260-£168-£120

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ANSGJ4A/ref=gb1h_tit_c-2_2227_6e5c59a5?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=1VHPAJ5TATJB62ZWN8QP&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=562712227

Tacx-Booster-turbo-trainer[1].jpg

Just ordered one thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Another Halfords offer that may interest people is their combined Industrial 6 Drawer Tool Chest and Industrial 6 Drawer Tool Cabinet, 350euro for the pair. The usual price for the pair is 450euro - it's not the first time they've been on offer at the 350euro price mind you so it might not be the last either.

I've nothing to compare against here so take my assessment with a pinch of salt but I reckon the quality is reasonable for the offer price.

169774?$pm_large$
    169790?$pm_large$

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement