Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i think you might have to pay duty on them, so speak to someone in advance.

I would agree though, that the bikes are in fabulous condition.

edit - according to http://www.dutycalculator.com/ it would be liable to VAT but not duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

g0g wrote: »
    Don't know anything about quality of these yokes, but I noticed this bike trailers deal on HUKD so thought I would post. They're reduced a good bit in Halford's plus you can get another 20% off. Below prices are after you factor in the 20% further discount. No idea on nationwide stocks but I tested them in Carrickmines and all seemed to be there.
    Halfords Single Buggy Child Bike Trailer € 84
    Halfords Double Buggy Child Bike Trailerr € 99.20
    Bellelli Bike Taxi Child Bike Trailer € 148
    Seems like the deal is there til next Monday. Might be able to chance your arm with an AXA card too or whatever to get more money off.

I quite like the look of the last one, but just don't know where I'd use it as I can't see them being used on public roads.

I'm not sure whether you are talking generally here, but child trailers are fine on public roads, that's exactly what they are intended for.

Our child trailer, made by Chariot who are now owned by Thule, was fantastic and got used a lot on public roads. I've no idea how the Halfords ones compare but Chariot trailers has some excellent aspects to their design which are not common across all brands e.g. built-in roll cage, good harness, suspension, well-designed attachment point to bike, etc.

One thing that I find odd about the Halfords trailers is that at least one of them says "each child must use a safety helmet when using this biek buggy". Whatever your views of bike helmets generally, they are a bad choice with many child trailers as the back "wall" of the trailer can push against the back of the helmet and force the child's head forward, which would certainly not be comfortable and is potentially damaging. A decent harness and good roll cage in a child trailer should arguably make a a bike helmet for the child(ren) redundant anyway, which would leave me wondering how the Halfords trailers rank in that regard.

Not a bargain, as such, but for anyone thinking of buying a bike from Rose Bikes in the near future, you should do so before the end of April if you can - the following is from an e-mail I received from them today:
    The euro has fallen more than 20 % against the dollar. A large part of the international trade is done on the basis of US dollars. Because of the high demand for our bikes, we had to do repeat orders and are thus forced to adjust the prices, but not to the full extent. We are going to increase the prices for our bikes by 8 % from 1st May 2015. Buy a bike at the old price now, because all orders made until 30th April 2015 are not affected by the price adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

doozerie wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether you are talking generally here, but child trailers are fine on public roads, that's exactly what they are intended for.
    Oh nothing about the quality of them as I don't have a clue. I'm just saying I wouldn't fancy cycling many of the roads of Dublin/Wicklow with very young children in a relatively flimsy trailer behind me. Personally I'd be too nervous of bad drivers or bad roads causing a collision. I've very rarely (almost never) come across these things on roads in Ireland and would have thought them best suited for cycling around the Phoenix Park for a picnic or that Green Way in Westport or similar. Maybe also handy for a run to the local creche.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Oh nothing about the quality of them as I don't have a clue. I'm just saying I wouldn't fancy cycling many of the roads of Dublin/Wicklow with very young children in a relatively flimsy trailer behind me. Personally I'd be too nervous of bad drivers or bad roads causing a collision. I've very rarely (almost never) come across these things on roads in Ireland and would have thought them best suited for cycling around the Phoenix Park for a picnic or that Green Way in Westport or similar. Maybe also handy for a run to the local creche.

The good quality ones have their safety videos online, including testing being hit side on and from the rear by a car. The good ones would appear to be a far safer place to be than on the bike itself.

I have seen a few in the last few years, including Doozeries, in my opinion, the safest way to transport young children by bike.

• Advertisement

They are more common than you might think. We really only became aware of that ourselves once we started to use one a few years ago, we started to notice them more as we encountered other people using them.

There is a common misconception of them as being flimsy or unsafe, I can only speak for the Chariot one that we used but it was neither of those two things. In the years we used it we found that other road users, for the most part, drove/rode very carefully and considerately around us and the trailer. Just like the roads are safe for cycling generally (and they really are, despite some of the hysteria that surrounds it at times) they are also safe for cycling with a child trailer.

We have had people, mostly of our own generation, tell us that they'd be far too worried to tow their own child in a trailer. That's fair enough, everyone makes their own choices, but the basis of their worry was always a perceived danger posed by "the roads", which I find odd. By contrast, I had an elderly woman tell me once that she wished she'd had the option of using a bike trailer when she was a young mother many years ago, suggesting that my generation may not be the cool, carefree, non- hand wringing generation that we'd like to think we are, maybe our parents are actually more adventurous than us.

Anyway, this is getting way off topic for this thread. In short though, bike child trailers are great, there should be more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

On safety I came so so close to been clipped other night cycling uptowards lambs cross, his literally skimmed me square bejesus out me, he was at light on his phone when he got to him and politely (as much as you can) told him hed been a few cm from clipping me down road, ignored me and drove off, nevermind 1.5m id like .5m, thing is there was nothing coming other way so I can only assume he didnt even see me

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ALDI doing the Edge 200 for €90 on Sunday.

Decent price, you won't get it that cheap anywhere online. You'll probably have to queue for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

seamus wrote: »
    Lidl doing the Edge 200 for €90 on Sunday.

Decent price, you won't get it that cheap anywhere online. You'll probably have to queue for it though.

You mean Aldi though yeah?

This is a great deal, thanks for the heads up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Looks like wiggle are flogging a good bit of their dhb winter/autumn stuff. Some bargains there if your size is still in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

joey100 wrote: »
    Free motion cycles in Gran Canaria are selling off some of this years rental bikes. I've used them before and from what I seen they look after the bikes really well, all were washed down and re-oiled before every spin, brakes and gears checked too. Not sure how you would get it to Ireland or how much it would cost but seems like some good prices, all cannondale bikes.

http://www.free-motion.com/en/bike-shop-gran-canaria/road-bike-sale/

Thanks,

I have rented from these guys before and bikes are good, I will be in Gran canaria this summer, wonder if they will sell me a 2015 bike and I can fly home with it. Though ryanair will probably charge me a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Fian wrote: »
    Thanks,

I have rented from these guys before and bikes are good, I will be in Gran canaria this summer, wonder if they will sell me a 2015 bike and I can fly home with it. Though ryanair will probably charge me a fortune.

Yep no problem, tell them the bike and size you are interested in they will have 2 or 3 to pick from when you arrive, agree a price, ride the bike straight out of the shop, do a weeks riding and drop it back about a day and a half before you leave, they will service the bike put new tyres on, disassemble the bike and professionally pack the bike into a strong cardboard box which you can collect on the way to the airport for no extra charge.

Aer lingus is €40 one way for a packed box. If you deal with the free-motion centre in meloneras it is literally across the road from the bus station that serves the airport so for €4 you and your bike will be brought to the airport avoiding the cost of private airport transfer.

Have done this twice before and on one occasion a new set of aksiums was put on the bike when being packed.

Bear in mind the bikes will be serviced regularly while in use but there will be big mileage on them especially if you are a common size and pick a caad 10 or one of the lower specced supersixes, i have been delighted with both of my bikes and next bike i buy will probably be by this route.

Sale prices are higher this time of the year and will drop by at least a couple of hundred if you can hold on the previous value is not there at the moment brand new 2014 caad 10 105s can be got for 1200 euros so 1000 euro for a second hand 2015 albeit now with 11 speed is not great value. IIRC 2014 caad 10s were being sold for 800-900 by free motion acouple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Fian wrote: »
    Thanks,

Ryanair will charge you 50 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-lugano-rigid-road-tyre/

€13. 90 seems to be pretty good, although you have to spend €20 to get free shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Traumadoc wrote: »
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-lugano-rigid-road-tyre/

€13. 90 seems to be pretty good, although you have to spend €20 to get free shipping.

Well you (presumably!) have two wheels on your bike....... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

cython wrote: »
    Well you (presumably!) have two wheels on your bike....... :D

Damn insurgent unicyclists! *shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Anyone know of any good offers at the moment on Garmin 500 bundle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

snollup wrote: »

Guy I seen selling as new 500 no bundle for 108gbp from the UK. No idea how this is on pricing but can pass on details if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 willyou

If you look on amazon france the garmin edge 500 bundle is 166. It is 170 including delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Garmin Edge 200 for just €89 on Sunday

€115 on Amazon.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-12-apr/products-detail-page/ps/p/garmin-edge-200/

Thanks lads, amazon.fr it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

joey100 wrote: »
    Free motion cycles in Gran Canaria are selling off some of this years rental bikes. I've used them before and from what I seen they look after the bikes really well, all were washed down and re-oiled before every spin, brakes and gears checked too. Not sure how you would get it to Ireland or how much it would cost but seems like some good prices, all cannondale bikes.

http://www.free-motion.com/en/bike-shop-gran-canaria/road-bike-sale/

Would not call those bargain prices. All second hand, well used. They probably buy the bikes for trade price, rent the bike over a season earning a multiple of its cost, and then sell it for the same or more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

snollup wrote: »

I use the following...

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/gps/product/cycling-gps/garmin/garmin-edge-500/

Thanks for that but already picked one up on amazon.fr for €180

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

anyone else looking for a garmin 500 keep an eye on pro bike kit,over the last few weeks they've hada number of specials on, the 500 for 160 and a free gift, i picked one up a few weeks back for 160 with 50euros of high 5 gear. they replaced it the week after with another similar deal. none running now, but worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Eurocycles have 10% off. Promo: THANKS10 http://www.eurocycles.com/

Doesn't appear to be a minimum spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Seems a good deal on a Kryptonite New York std NYL lock with FlexFrame bracket (3000) over on Amazon. ITs the 16mm hardened and working out at about €54/55 delivered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-York-Standard-Flexframe-Bracket/dp/B005YPK9SY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429260604&sr=8-1&keywords=KRYPTONITE+New+York

A quick scan around has it a fair bit cheaper than the usuals - CRC, wiggle etc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some interesting bits and pieces coming up in Lidl on Sunday.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=24051

720p camera built into glasses. Quality could be dubious (as well as their durability in Irish Weather), but certainly cheaper and less conspicuous than a GoPro.

The workstand is back, along with some exceptionally cheap panniers. Probably not great for an Irish Autumn deluge, but at €15 you can't go wrong if you need extra bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 kev1986

Eurocycles have the garmin 500 bundle with premium HRM and cadence sensor for 209.99

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement