Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Thanks for the links, I ordered a pair from 4th bike last night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Bont A-Two shoes for £75/€105 from Merlin Cycles - that's a great price, limited sizes only though.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

40% off code on the SIS website for all their nutrition stuff. APRIL40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

500ml bottle of Muc Off bike cleaner €2.82 in Tesco Arklow. No price on the shelf so I checked at one of the scanners. 4 bottles left. A tenner on CRC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

1 litre bottle of Muc Off bike cleaner €2.82 in Tesco Arklow. No price on the shelf so I checked at one of the scanners. 4 bottles left. A tenner on CRC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Allabaah wrote: »

Wiggle sell them around the same price.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-co2-tyre-inflator-set-with-2-cartridges/

How do you know you have around 120psi in your tire? They seem handy to have instead of a pump, but your only test will be on the road. And if its no good, you're walking home..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How do you know you have around 120psi in your tire? They seem handy to have instead of a pump, but your only test will be on the road. And if its no good, you're walking home..

A 16g cartridge will inflate a 700/23 tyre to roughy 100psi which is more than enough to get anyone home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

..... One wonders what's wrong with the humble, tried and tested hand pump...:-)

@ dashcamdanny on Wiggle the adaptor is €10.39 without any cartridge

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-co2-tyre-inflator/#tabAA

The pump is certainly foolproof but you'd want to be Hercules to get decent pressure into the tyre!

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    ..... One wonders what's wrong with the humble, tried and tested hand pump...:-)

As I said to dashcamdanny "The pump is certainly foolproof but you'd want to be Hercules to get decent pressure into the tyre!"

Fool proof certainly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

I think it's not considered the Done Thing to be fitting it to the frame these days, and not everyone wants to be carrying a pack. The under-saddle type bag will carry a decent range of basic spares, but you won't get a pump in one!

I say this as someone who always carries a backpack, though. Layers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

I (and I suspect plenty others around here) would never rely on CO2 as my sole means of reinflating a tyre on a long cycle. My view of them is that they are handy if you want to minimise the time you spend on the road for some reason (e.g. commuting and avoiding being late, foul weather conditions and you don't want to get cold, etc.), but realistically I'm not going to bring more than 2, and while that should be enough to get you home, make a mess of one of them and you're suddenly walking a wire. I always have a handpump that fits in a jersey pocket that I use both in reserve and if I'm not in a hurry. Some people prefer the pumps that combine CO2 and a manual action, to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

will a 16g cartridge inflate a 700x38c hyrid/MTB tube enough to get me home?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

cython wrote: »
    I (and I suspect plenty others around here) would never rely on CO2 as my sole means of reinflating a tyre on a long cycle..

I'd say your actually in a minority. Most people I know carry CO2 as a sole means of inflating tubes. None of those I cycle with carry a pump...ever.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I'd say your actually in a minority. Most people I know carry CO2 as a sole means of inflating tubes. None of those I cycle with carry a pump...ever.

Seriously? I'm intrigued.. a poll is needed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

How much are the refills in a bike shop? I fecking hate pumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

How much are the refills in a bike shop? I fecking hate pumping.

There's a lad on adverts that sells them very cheap I usually buy them off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Probably not a great idea to carry pumps in back pocket, it you land on that you run the risk of doing serious injury.

Probably not a great idea to carry pumps in back pocket, it you land on that you run the risk of doing serious injury.

The pump that I have is no more likely to injure me than my phone, a folded multitool, or any number of other things that might be in my pockets. For reference, it's something like this that hasn't much in the line of protrusions or anything. CO2 cartridges or the inflator would inflict at least as bad.

• Advertisement

Most people I know are the opposite, but nowhere did I claim an absolute minority or majority did one or the other. All depends on the people you know, and the "norm" in a particular group, I suspect. I've definitely seen several posters on here state that they would carry a backup pump in the past though.

None of those I cycle with carry a pump...ever.

Wow...risky!

People have been carrying things in pockets for years including phones keys, tools, tubes, levers etc, If you are in a bad smash, due to its slender shape, a pump will most likely go flying out before impacting with the ground. But it could always be fitted to the frame using the fasteners that come with them....:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

And none of those I know cycle with CO2 cartridges...ever. All hail the power of anecdotal evidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Any chance of people posting bargains in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

That Lidl bike rack for roof rack looks to be worth a punt?

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=24314

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Micksgarage has the same one (i think) for 35

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=4493430

I bought 2 of these and have taken two bikes to france and back twice with them and they did the job perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

None of those I cycle with carry a pump...ever.
    same here..... But they are the same people that dont carry spare tubes ever... or tyre levers ever..... or food ever........... :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

mathie wrote: »
    Any chance of people posting bargains in this thread?

After you....:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Thule 932 for same price at Halfords - may be not radically different for what they are but Thule likely to have better resale value

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement