Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Normally carry a banana and one of those nature valley bars for long spins, like the security of having a gel if I am feeling wrecked, and the pad is going up.

Back to the bargains, saw on Facebook marreybikes are having a Sumer sale, think 15% off everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

When are the gels in Lidl? That link doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

When are the gels in Lidl? That link doesn't work.

Thurs 30th July. Link works fine for me on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well what do you think of this ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

fryup wrote: »

Shile of pite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have a halfords bike similar to this I bought and left at my dad's place in France, it's grand for training on when I visit and enjoying the fine countryside for a week or two a year. It is an awful piece of shíte, and I wouldn't want to have to ride it any more than that, but it does serve a purpose in that sort of situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

comete wrote: »
    Shile of pite

...with durable outer casing to prevent fallapart.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

clog wrote: »
    Lidl doing high 5 gels next week 10 euro for 20.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=28009
    CRC's BOGOF is cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

CRC's BOGOF is cheaper.
    Lidl is 40 for €19.98, CRC is 40 for €27.99. How is CRC cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Whoops, obviously I'm not fully awake yet :o

• Advertisement

comete wrote: »
    Shile of pite

please elaborate, what so bad about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

please elaborate, what so bad about it?

heavy. crap brakes. really low end gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kcera

Kavrocks wrote: »

when are them gels out in lidl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

kcera wrote: »
    when are them gels out in lidl?

Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Canyon claim to be giving an extra 10% off bikes in the outlet store plus free delivery today only.

Site says prices displayed include the extra 10% discount. I don't know what the prices were yesterday, so I can't confirm prices are correct, but here is the link.

https://www.canyon.com/en/specials/breakaway/

bp_me wrote: »
    heavy. crap brakes. really low end gears.

is carrera a bad make in general??

Not particularly bad you're just looking at their entry level model and even at that it's the worst entry level one they have I think. The Carrera TDF is a grand bike and you'll see plenty of them on the road. It's still heavy and only takes a 7 speed cassette afaik but it has everything you need to get going and a carbon front fork. I think it's only €50 more than the one mentioned above.

You'll more than likely want to upgrade sooner rather than later but even at the point it'll be a grand winter trainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Not particularly bad you're just looking at their entry level model and even at that it's the worst entry level one they have I think. The Carrera TDF is a grand bike and you'll see plenty of them on the road. It's still heavy and only takes a 7 speed cassette afaik but it has everything you need to get going and a carbon front fork. I think it's only €50 more than the one mentioned above.

You'll more than likely want to upgrade sooner rather than later but even at the point it'll be a grand winter trainer.
    Fork is steel not carbon by the way. No Carrera bike has an actual carbon fork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Err probably not but they don't offer particularly good value for money IMO.

Fork is steel not carbon by the way. No Carrera bike has an actual carbon fork.

Em not according to them

"It also boasts a carbon fibre fork, which is lightweight and improves ride quality through providing stiffer and more precise steering. Take a look above at the sixth image for a closeup of the carbon weave."

It may have an alloy steerer but so do a lot of high end bikes

Hmm just did a bit if reading up on these and it does appear to be a steel fork regardless of their product description and decals :confused:

131080b?$pd_zoom_v2$

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Em not according to them

"It also boasts a carbon fibre fork, which is lightweight and improves ride quality through providing stiffer and more precise steering. Take a look above at the sixth image for a closeup of the carbon weave."

Hmm just did a bit if reading up on these and it does appear to be a steel fork regardless of their product description and decals :confused:

131080b?$pd_zoom_v2$

It says carbon on the fork

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Carrera (halfords) bikes are great for what they cost when compared to all other brands.

I got a Carrera Virtuoso 2014 for about EUR 350, brand new. It weights a lot if you start comparing it to your buddies who have carbon frames or even 'super light' alu frames. For me however, I didn't know any better so I got used to it since it was my first road bike.

It came with a mix of Claris/Sora components which again I knew no better of. Now I know there's a whole hierarchy in the components range and other brands as opposed to Shimano. The brakes work just fine, I only got the cables & brake pads changed recently but they've been through a lot. The only other thing I changed are the tyres after winter.

Only yesterday I had my first go around Laragh / Dublin mts with the bike, circa 100k (https://www.strava.com/activities/353702927). I have only started leisure cycling recently and had only previously used the bike for work. I was doing just fine and only struggled just as everyone else on steep hills and perhaps then, yes, a couple of kilos off the heavy frame/wheels might have helped me.

I was able to keep up with some TT bikes on the flats and managed most hills just fine, ain't nothing better than riding past someone on a ferrari-of-bikes with a fiat-punto-of-bikes cool.png

I would highly recommend a Carrera as a first road bike to anyone. Thanks to my Carrera I've picked up a passion for cycling. To find a passion for 350 quid? Priceless.

PS. I wish their high end podium range was more easily accessible in Ireland. They build really good looking bikes (https://www.salden.nl/nl/carrera-nitro-sl-dip-opbouwfiets.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Em not according to them

godtabh wrote: »

The writing on the fork is where the carbon ends I'm afraid.

godtabh wrote: »

I know that's why I mentioned decals but on reading a road cc review they say it's steel. I possibly referenced a 2015 model and when another poster mentioned steel I read a review on an older model.

I'd find it hard to believe they'd advertise it as something it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Einstein? wrote: »

PS. I wish their high end podium range was more easily accessible in Ireland. They build really good looking bikes (https://www.salden.nl/nl/carrera-nitro-sl-dip-opbouwfiets.html
    Carrera Podium is a completely different brand, I believe Halfords just appropriated the name some years ago for the UK market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I know that's why I mentioned decals but on reading a road cc review they say it's steel. I possibly referenced a 2015 model and when another poster mentioned steel I read a review on an older model.

I'd find it hard to believe they'd advertise it as something it isn't.

The Carrera TDF definitely used to have a steel fork (black/yellow model(s)), but it looked a good deal different to the shape of the fork in the image above. I honestly suspect there may be some confusion here over model years, as the shape of the fork in the image is very much the shape I would expect of a carbon fork, and not steel (usually rounder).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Einstein? wrote: »
    I would highly recommend a Carrera as a first road bike to anyone. Thanks to my Carrera I've picked up a passion for cycling. To find a passion for 350 quid? Priceless.
    Let me first of all disclaim that I'm not familiar with the bike in question. Let me further disclaim that I'm not really in the market, either: I'd really need a frame about 10cm larger than any of these mass-market promotions -- suggestions welcome, mind you!

But I do wonder what the people saying "crap, waste of money" are comparing it against. If it's a matter of "spend 2K on your first bike or get out of my sky", I'd have to scoff. Ritually. If there's better "value for money" options out there... well, why not get particular, and specify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Let me first of all disclaim that I'm not familiar with the bike in question. Let me further disclaim that I'm not really in the market, either: I'd really need a frame about 10cm larger than any of these mass-market promotions -- suggestions welcome, mind you!

But I do wonder what the people saying "crap, waste of money" are comparing it against. If it's a matter of "spend 2K on your first bike or get out of my sky", I'd have to scoff. Ritually. If there's better "value for money" options out there... well, why not get particular, and specify?

Here you go Better spec all round and also available in XXL-63cm frame

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-road-bike-black-id_8331913.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

clog wrote: »
    Here you go Better spec all round and also available in XXL-63cm frame

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-road-bike-black-id_8331913.html

be a decent commuter serious price bike with lifetime warrenty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭nilhg

Bit of a leap of faith in this one but will throw it out there anyway.

Galibier are introducing their new Mistral jacket,

http://galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul-weather-jacket-3/

List price will be 75 sterling but they have an introductory offer till the 31st to past customers of 23.32 sterling off with the code

mistral protect july

I have one of their Tourmalet rain capes, find it a great bit of kit so will probably jump on this offer, up to others what they want to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement