Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

Dcully wrote: »
    Thanks mate, was thinking about continental Gp4000s but they are expensive, how to those gatorskins compare?

if you want to ride thousands of k's with out a puncture the gatorskin is the man..
    as others have said they are a bit harsh on the road ...ive never had an issue with wet roads with them but maybe im too slow...
    the gp4000's offer almost as much puncture protection in my experience with a lot better ride qualities alround.
    there are faster tyres available that are much more fragile and with that in mind the gp 4000's are my favourite tyres bar none

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

if you want to ride thousands of k's with out a puncture the gatorskin is the man..
    as others have said they are a bit harsh on the road ...ive never had an issue with wet roads with them but maybe im too slow...
    the gp4000's offer almost as much puncture protection in my experience with a lot better ride qualities alround.
    there are faster tyres available that are much more fragile and with that in mind the gp 4000's are my favourite tyres bar none

Im using gatorskins too but I used to armadillos before so guess there must be an improvement. I never used gp4000s so can't compare to these. Armadillos in wet were awful but you ten to adapt so the gatorskins offer some improvement. You just need to take that into consideration, but if you want no punctures then they will do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I've ridden gators and armadillos. Personally I found both to be rubbish in the wet. In my opinion you can't beat a set of Schwalbe Durano Plus'. Solid in the wet, great puncture protection and they roll pretty well. At least in my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

I'd suggest the "normal" Conti Grand Prix tyres as a budget-friendly compromise between the Gatorskins and GP4000sII's. Have them on the winter bike/commuter for >5500km with 1 or maybe 2 punctures to date (the definite one being a snakebite, and also touch wood!!!). They can be gotten for a little over €20 each online, which is a good bit cheaper than either other mentioned Continental option (though may need shipping if from a German site), and they're probably similar to the GP4000s for puncture resistance, but maybe a little down on grip/rolling resistance - still better than Gatorskins on both of these counts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭custom_build

There is a sale on Vittoria tyres over on sport pursuit at the moment with some pretty good deals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Dcully wrote: »
    Thanks mate, was thinking about continental Gp4000s but they are expensive, how to those gatorskins compare?

Try rose bikes for the gp4000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

bike24.de are selling conti ultra sport for about 11 quid plus 10 quid shipping. I use them for training and they are fine. I got 4 last week delivered for 55 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

mossym wrote: »

Just ordered 2X conti GP4000s II for €74.85 inc delivery, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is that gear any good? Very very tempted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

godtabh wrote: »

Tempted myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

godtabh wrote: »

Believe it's worn by etixx quickstep and possibly other Dutch/belgian pro teams...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Vermarc gear is excellent quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Anyone know what the sizing is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Tempted myself, but I'm seeing that it's four items for 135 plus 10 shipping.. Jacket, Jersey, Bib shorts and Bib tights??

Considering I need new bib tights anyway.... Sizing anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

They give you a free mug, as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Eamonnator wrote: »

not always, must have a dozen orders with them at this stage, including a 3k bike, and i never got a mug:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

not always, must have a dozen orders with them at this stage, including a 3k bike, and i never got a mug:(:(

I got a free back pack from them with my last order - never a mug

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

There seems to be big reductions on planet x at the min.

Picked up a set of these panniers and a few other bits

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSMI5000R/minoura-5000r-alloy-rear-pannier-rack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Eamonnator wrote: »

This was my first order from Rose, tubes and tyres. Total order was about 100 yo-yos.
    Great prices and good delivery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The pad on the vermarcsport shorts and bibs would not be for long distance according to the spec. Something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    There seems to be big reductions on planet x at the min.

Picked up a set of these panniers and a few other bits

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSMI5000R/minoura-5000r-alloy-rear-pannier-rack

always good sales on planet x,pity about the shipping costs. 14 euros delivery for overshoes,arm warmers bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

always good sales on planet x,pity about the shipping costs. 14 euros delivery for overshoes,arm warmers bundle.

what about using parcel motel to get it delivered up north?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

coach22 wrote: »

i've never seen that option. usually royal mail or dhl is what i've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

i've never seen that option. usually royal mail or dhl is what i've seen

Parcel Motel is a third-party service. You use their delivery address in Norn Irn; they forward here, for a modest fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Parcel Motel is a third-party service. You use their delivery address in Norn Irn; they forward here, for a modest fee.

forwarded to a 3rd party location often a petrol station

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

coach22 wrote: »
    alaimacerc wrote: »

Just a word of caution of using PX and Parcel Motel.
    Any time I have used them together PX ALWAYS omit your pm id which is essential.
    Last packet got through but on one occasion it took the staff 2 days to locate my parcel due to there being no id on there.
    Doesnt matter that I have left an email with them about it ,it still happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Just add your PM number before your name in the name field? Happened to me once or twice with other shops.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement