Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Alek wrote: »
    Halogen bulb an 300lumens? I call it BS :/

Used to be common enough prior to the development of high power LEDs. Lumicycles halogen lights went up to 450 lumens using GE bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

A halogen light needs approx. 25W to produce 300LM, while a LED needs approx. 3W.

A good rechargeable AA has 2500mAh capacity, which is 2.5Ah, so at 1.2V it can run a 3W device for an hour.

4 such batteries give 12Wh.

So, a 300lm (25W) halogen light can run for roughly half an hour on four rechargeable batteries. Considering there are no loses, voltage drop, the capacity is real, etc.

Therefore I still call that BS :P

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Alek wrote: »
    A halogen light needs approx. 25W to produce 300LM, while a LED needs approx. 3W.

Therefore I still call that BS :P

12 lumens per Watt as above is actually worse than a regular incandescent bulb. 30+ lumens per Watt is achievable, but they'll cost you.

But I agree that particular light is BS. They might use a bulb capable of 300lm, but not while driven with that voltage. Given nowhere else sells those lights, pretty sure it's just another Chinese knock off with their dubious grasp of reality when it comes to specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

lgk wrote: »
    12 lumens per Watt as above is actually worse than a regular incandescent bulb. 30+ lumens per Watt is achievable, but they'll cost you.

Isn't that the efficiency for spherical lumens? Bear in mind this will be a beam -- potentially a rather narrow one, if that's how it's bigging up the notional brightness...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Isn't that the efficiency for spherical lumens? Bear in mind this will be a beam -- potentially a rather narrow one, if that's how it's bigging up the notional brightness...

MOD VOICE: OK, we are getting off topic again, back to bargain alerts only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: OK, we are getting off topic again, back to bargain alerts only

Boo ... it was just getting interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

trev44 wrote: »
    Boo ... it was just getting interesting

Feel free to make a thread about it - this is for bargain alerts only. We literally just had a big string of complaints about allowing chat in this thread.

And don't argue with mod instruction in-thread. It's usually a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I know some here swear by Castelli Gabba 2 stuff.

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=84989

145e and I don't know if you'd still get 10% off that.

When you walk upstairs it's right in front of you...sort of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

I know some here swear by Castelli Gabba 2 stuff.

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=84989

145e and I don't know if you'd still get 10% off that.

When you walk upstairs it's right in front of you...sort of.

I've only had a Gabba 2 a short while but it's a great piece of kit. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Gabba sold out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

ford2600 wrote: »
    Shop in Parnell street (Cycleways?) have mudguards including Crud II and proper sks for €20

They have a lot of other stuff marked down too.
    Specialized winter jackets and jersey at 50% off and a lot of other deals.

Runways beside them is closing down so I wonder if they are too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I see Planet X helmets significantly reduced on their website down to € 17.39. Anyone got one that can vouch for quality? Seems to be lots of stock.

Edit sorry I see this doesn't include postage which might be a bit....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Ford2600,
    I'm looking for mudguards for a bike with eyelets. Are the proper SKS ones the Chromoplastic?
    Shop in Parnell street (Cycleways?) have mudguards including Crud II and proper sks for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

just saw this on halfords website to click and collect but only in xxl, could be worth a try for someone
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-clothing/jackets-gilets/altura-mens-ascent-waterproof-jacket-red

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Picked up the arm and leg warmers from Cycle Super Store today. Loads left. Toasty :)

What's the sizing like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Can't find any stock when I try to reserve and collect. Anyone had any success finding these?
    granda wrote: »
    just saw this on halfords website to click and collect but only in xxl, could be worth a try for someone
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-clothing/jackets-gilets/altura-mens-ascent-waterproof-jacket-red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

+1 for the Cycleways sale. Popped in today and plenty of bargains in Specialized winter gear-most items half price or less.

Also, just inside the door, there's a basket of Specialized Turbo Elite 23cm road tyres for €20 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Donie75 wrote: »
    Can't find any stock when I try to reserve and collect. Anyone had any success finding these?

I had one in the basket but when I went to check out it was gone :mad: Convincing myself it would have been WAY too big rather than just a little too big

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got pair of both just now on my lunch. Got back to office to see there are no struts with the SKS, back I go tomorrow. Only SKS left from what I can see. Some tyres and all the other stuff left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

jfrmbray wrote: »
    What's the sizing like?

Fairly tight or I'm fatter than I thought I was. I'd advise trying them on before buying.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 16 Verified rep Cycle Superstore: Philip

Fairly tight or I'm fatter than I thought I was. I'd advise trying them on before buying.

Fear not Daroxtar, they are tiny fitting, most people go up a size or two. Always best to try on where possible. :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

Thanks, and to Philip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ive been eyeing this up the past few days but havent as of yet pulled the trigger. Seems like a serious deal
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-bikes-vitesse-evo-road-frameset-2015/rp-prod125554
    Anyone got one and care to PM me their experiences rather than clog up this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

Bambaata wrote: »
    Ive been eyeing this up the past few days but havent as of yet pulled the trigger. Seems like a serious deal
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-bikes-vitesse-evo-road-frameset-2015/rp-prod125554
    Anyone got one and care to PM me their experiences rather than clog up this thread?
    Missed this as I just bought a full winter bike recently, I think there is a cheaper vitus frame for about 4. Don't think you could go to far worng with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Any good deals going on high quality bib shorts a la Endura FS260?

Looking for Christmas gift ideas for PaterScone and he's loaded up with Aldi and club kit but I figure a good pair of bibs would stand out from the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Any good deals going on high quality bib shorts a la Endura FS260?

Looking for Christmas gift ideas for PaterScone and he's loaded up with Aldi and club kit but I figure a good pair of bibs would stand out from the crowd.

No shortage of 1/2 price Specialized bibtights in Cycleways atm. Many are €195 down to €95 but there are cheaper. Plenty of sizes the other day too

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BH2008

McConveys have some good prices on Specialized helmets (colour and size dependant) just picked up a prevail for £89.00 + free postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

BH2008 wrote: »
    McConveys have some good prices on Specialized helmets (colour and size dependant) just picked up a prevail for £89.00 + free postage.

The 2014 Evade in Black and Red is probably the least expensive I've seen actually with free postage South of the border

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-clothing/jackets-gilets/altura-slipstream-bundle

Seems like a good deal for a long sleeve jersey, baselayer and jacket. Comes in blue or red.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement