Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

seanin4711 wrote: »
    size up normally

43 in running shoes 44 in cycling.
    my two cents

The very same as myself: 43 in normal shoes, 44 in these and also 44 in shimano road shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

sullzz wrote:
    I have the carnac notus helmet and it is very small sizing , not sure if the other ones are similar sizing .
    I've a carnac MTB helmet and would say it's a small sizing too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Have a Carnac too, size small and I find it big, but I have a tiny pea head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Has anyone any experience of these helmets? I’m just looking to get something a little bit aero to get me through the winter. Are they safe at that price? I wonder are they big or small fitting. S/M goes to 58cm. L/XL starts at 58cm. I’m 58cm 🙄 Eenie.. meenie..

git a briko l/xl and its snug got a big nut meslef!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Waiting on delivery of the Impact. I'm the same on sizing, bang in the middle. I'll let you know when it arrives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭space2ground1

For twenty quid will it be safe enough though do you think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

For twenty quid will it be safe enough though do you think?

Does it have the relevant ce/DN numbers?

Description just says ANSI approved. I’d chance it only I don’t want to regret it if I’m horizontal at 40kmph 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

godtabh wrote: »
    Does it have the relevant ce/DN numbers?

I would assume it would have to be if sold in the EU. It is classed as a safety device after all. If not planet X are leaving themselves wide open to claims and I can't see that happening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I would assume it would have to be if sold in the EU. It is classed as a safety device after all. If not planet X are leaving themselves wide open to claims and I can't see that happening.
    4. Died, was resurrected as ASTM: ANSI

In 1984 the American National Standards Institute adopted a bicycle helmet standard. We were members of ANSI's Z90.4 committee then, and helped to get the standard adopted over the objections of manufacturers whose products would not meet it. Since that time the ANSI committee has been inactive. The standard lapsed, and was declared obsolete by ANSI as of February, 1995.
    In a rare meeting later in 1995 the committee voted to adopt the ASTM bicycle helmet standard as the ANSI standard. ANSI took eight years to so that, but at last it became effective in 2003. The 1984 version of the ANSI standard was unfortunately cited in many state and local laws, and now some of those laws are automatically updated when the ASTM standard is improved, unless they have cited the specific date of the ANSI standard. ANSI remains a familiar set of initials. You could still see an ANSI sticker in a helmet, but the best advice is to ignore it as historical artifact and look for CPSC or Snell instead. ANSI's last function was as the U.S. Secretariat for ISO bicycle helmet activities. In mid-1996 the ANSI Z90 Committee members voted to shift the Secretariat for ISO activities from Z90 to the ASTM F08 Committee. In 1999 F08 gave up the Secretariat to an equestrian group, since there was no indication of any interest in harmonizing international bicycle helmet standards. The Z90 Committee has now been disbanded.

Its an american standard

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Its an american standard

"These are all different accrediting bodies for standards. CE is not a designation of standards in its own right but is a mark used by manufacturers in the EU to signify that appropriate standards have been taken into account when manufacturing a product.

UL stands for Underwriter's Laboratories they test and certificate goods to confirm that they comply with appropriate standards so this is a mark that manufacturer's can use to indicate that compliance to standards has been checked by a reputable third party. Underwriter's Laboratories will also certificate items for which there are no applicable US or international standards.

ANSI standards are those published by the American National Standards Institute and relate only to goods manufactured and sold in the US. ANSI standards are generally not accepted in the EU unless there is also a certificate of conformity to European Norms.

EN stands for European Norm and denotes a standard that is acceptable across the whole of the EU.

You have missed ISO - International Standards Organisation from your list. This indicates a standard that is acceptable worldwide. For example ISO 9001 is the international standard for quality assurance. In the UK we would use the designation BS EN ISO 9001 for this standard to signify that it has been adopted in the UK and Europe as well as being a recognised international standard. "

Ask for certificate of conformity presumably one available. Those descriptions tend to be fairly generic so it may be a case of right product wrong description.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

A bunch of us from our club bought a batch of carnac equinox helmets in a previous sale, mainly because the colours sort of matched our club kit, sizing is standard enough, I take a big size and I have plenty of room for a woolly beanie underneath my 58-62. The helmet has a sticker with CE EN 1078 on it.

As far as I can see they are fine and great value, id be tempted by that one with the visor, but my missus would murder me if I buy any more gear...

nilhg wrote: »
    A bunch of us from our club bought a batch of carnac equinox helmets in a previous sale, mainly because the colours sort of matched our club kit, sizing is standard enough, I take a big size and I have plenty of room for a woolly beanie underneath my 58-62. The helmet has a sticker with CE EN 1078 on it.

As far as I can see they are fine and great value, id be tempted by that one with the visor, but my missus would murder me if I buy any more gear...

The big one for me is being able to wear my normal glasses underneath. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks guys, sorry for derailing the thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The big one for me is being able to wear my normal glasses underneath. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks guys, sorry for derailing the thread.

I've worn the tt one with my glasses under the visor no bother.
    And now I'm gonna give myself a warning and go back OT!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Has anyone any experience of these helmets? I’m just looking to get something a little bit aero to get me through the winter. Are they safe at that price? I wonder are they big or small fitting. S/M goes to 58cm. L/XL starts at 58cm. I’m 58cm 🙄 Eenie.. meenie..

I’ve a 58cm head also and have always bought size M measuring up to 58cm. I’ve had BBB, Met, Briko, Kask, Ekoi, Uvex and Giro helmets and have never found any of them too tight. Anything starting at 58cm feels massive and makes me look like a giant mushroom. Go with the smaller size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

parcel motel is your friend.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

for 127 euro delivered:
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPFSTM30/fsa-team-30-comp-700c-road-wheelset

anyone any idea what they are like? good training wheelset?

thekooman wrote: »
    for 127 euro delivered:

If they're the vision team 30 wheels they're a grand wheel similar to aksiums

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

for 127 euro delivered:

Do it in Sterling and with the current conversion rate they are about a tenner cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Looking at the link above, they also have this disc wheelset, "Gipiemme Roccia Equipe 700c/29 Inch Disc Wheelset", £55.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPGIROEQ/gipiemme-roccia-equipe-700c-29-inch-disc-wheelset

Good, bad, mediocre?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

positron wrote: »

Good, bad, mediocre?

Weight:2380g

:eek::eek::eek:

Anyone ordering from PlanetX? I would love to add this frame and participate in shipping costs.
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXGIOV/planet-x-giovanissimi-childrens-aluminum-race-frameset---external-headset

(and this, just for the shim ;)https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/ST3TTHESTEM/3ttt-the-stem )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Where you get components to build that frame up?
    Wheels ,group set etc
    Thanks
    Could be on Santa list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

@Alek I think I’ll order the vision 30 if you wanna PM?

Where you get components to build that frame up?

This is a long term project, I'll be building wheels myself, and the rest of components from ebay probably... my older one is only 5 and 110cm, so I have a few years to finish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

for 127 euro delivered:

Anyone any idea what the rim width is like on these? Fancy a wider wheel for comfort.

Edit: Found it on the Vision Website:

vision_team_30_clincher.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

See.Sense Icon lights discount codes. www.seesense.cc
    £10 off rear light using CLOCK10R
    £15 off front and rear set CLOCK15S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

See.Sense Icon lights discounts www.seesense.cc
    £10 off rear light using CLOCK10R
    £15 off front and rear set CLOCK15S

Fixed your post, thought it was £15 for the set at first and got very excited.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement