Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Lidl have T-handle Allen and star head key set (16 in total) in a nice handy case for €12.99. The star heads aren’t much use for bikes but every Allen/hex size the home bike mechanic would need is in the set.

Edit: the Shimano RS505 hydraulic brakes on my Felt VR30 use torx/star head bolts so most likely other hydraulic brakes also use them.

https://www.lidl-flyer.com/32141ecf-962c-11e8-be55-005056ab0fb6/locale/en-IE/view/flyer/page/24?_ga=2.213675924.1862371436.1534603922-992245432.1534603922

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Picked up a set today, top class especially considering the ParkTool set is €70 without the Torx.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Some stuff in Lidl tomorrow.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?id=521&week=2

Panniers look like an ok ortlieb knock off for 11eu
    And some cheap commuting gear to ruin over the winter too

Their degreaser spray is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The_Jabberwock

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITMGP/vittoria-mtb-goma-tyre-2-pack-with-free-camelbak-bottle

A 2-pack of Vittoria folding 2.25" MTB tyres (€15 for 27.5", €25 for 29") with a free Camelbak bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

site_owner wrote:
    Panniers look like an ok ortlieb knock off for 11eu And some cheap commuting gear to ruin over the winter too

These Lidl panniers have the clips at the top to clip onto the rack, but no straps or anything at the base to connect to the pannier, so I gave them a miss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

site_owner wrote:
    Panniers look like an ok ortlieb knock off for 11eu And some cheap commuting gear to ruin over the winter too

These Lidl panniers have the clips at the top to clip onto the rack, but no straps or anything at the base to connect to the pannier, so I gave them a miss

yeah, had a look and they were pretty bad.
    hooks arent locking either so a good pot hole and i'd worry they would detach.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

thekooman wrote: »

Anyone else order these? I ordered 2, so was expecting 2 boxes of 8 tubes, got a delivery today of 2 single tubes, not quite the great deal I thought I was getting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Statler wrote: »
    Anyone else order these? I ordered 2, so was expecting 2 boxes of 8 tubes, got a delivery today of 2 single tubes, not quite the great deal I thought I was getting!
    I got the box of 8...ordered one.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Kebel

@ Statler. I got the same i.e. two very expensive tubes, rather than two boxes I believe I ordered. Not happy :(

Edit : just noticed both tubes are cracked and contents all broken - completely unhappy now ��

For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and hopefully it's a mistake and give them the opportunity to put it right otherwise I'll be closing my account with them and not buying from them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Kebel wrote: »

@ Statler. I got the same i.e. two very expensive tubes, rather than two boxes I believe I ordered. Not happy :(

Edit : just noticed both tubes are cracked and contents all broken - completely unhappy now ��

For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and hopefully it's a mistake and give them the opportunity to put it right otherwise I'll be closing my account with them and not buying from them again.

Same here , ordered 4 boxes, got 4 tubes. One tube cracked

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That is a blatant scam so, esp. seeing as someone did get the 8 tubes. Groupon tried to pull a similar trick recently, misleading you into thinking you were getting multipacks of gillette blades. They did not send you what you ordered, simple as that, so they are obliged to pay for the return postage. This is NOT a change of mind, THEY are obliged to pay the postage or else send the rest.

I told people in the groupon thread that and those who contacted them were able to return them and have the postage paid.

The link no longer works but you can see the historical one in google cache, it clearly implies you are going to get 8 tubes.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rTZuSt-V3r4J:https://www.sportsdirect.com/high-5+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=ubuntu

I actually remember looking at the link and was going to point out that you can get glucose in the baking section in supermarkets for a fraction of the price -but the deal did actually seem very good so I did not bother!

I find it strange that supposed reputable places are doing these confidence tricks, I expect dodgy chinese sites to be con jobs, but not these.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

rubadub wrote: »
    I find it strange that supposed reputable places are doing these confidence tricks, I expect dodgy chinese sites to be con jobs, but not these.

To be fair, I doubt it was an intentional con, I imagine it was just different packers. Some gave the box, others thought that it was a part of the box. They do sell them individually as well so it would be an easy mistake to make considering the description, bar the picture, isn't all that descriptive.

its still available at about 13eu delivered (not sure what it was last week)
    https://www.sportsdirect.com/high-5-5-zero-tablets-763075?colcode=76307590

> Includes 8 x tubes (20 tabs per tube)
    > One tub makes up to 15 litres

so i'd say just email them, its a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Amazon have a Prime offer on Crud Roadracer MK3's at the moment for £10.00 a pair. Great price and super timing. Have to be a Prime member but you can get 30 day free trial handy enough unless you've had one recently.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crud-Road-Racer-Mk3-Mudguard/dp/B01LXUZ4AN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534844317&sr=8-1&keywords=crud+road+racer+mk3+mudguard

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Kebel

site_owner wrote: »
    its still available at about 13eu delivered (not sure what it was last week)
    https://www.sportsdirect.com/high-5-5-zero-tablets-763075?colcode=76307590

> Includes 8 x tubes (20 tabs per tube)
    > One tub makes up to 15 litres

so i'd say just email them, its a mistake

Did that yesterday. Got an automated response to the effect, it will take 1 to 3 days for a response.

For now, allowing them the benefit of the doubt and will assume it's an error, until they either say otherwise or don't respond within their prescribed timelines. Will let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

€169 for Garmin 520 in cyclesupertore right now.
    Is that a good price for these?

Whats the battery life like on them? Thinking of getting one at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

terrydel wrote: »

great battery... prob around 8 hours+ (with bluetooth on to phone, ant+ to powermeter and HRM) on mine after 2 years of use. can't fault the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

It's an okay price for an Irish retailer but normal any where else. I've been using it for the last year and the battery life is good. I can't guve an exact figure in hours but it's never failed me on long days out. Do you have a chest heart rate strap, cadence sensor etc. The unit isn't much use on its own

It's an okay price for an Irish retailer but normal any where else. I've been using it for the last year and the battery life is good. I can't guve an exact figure in hours but it's never failed me on long days out. Do you have a chest heart rate strap, cadence sensor etc. The unit isn't much use on its own

No interest in heart rate stuff really, might use cadence sensor if I had it but wouldnt be hung up on it.
    Cant see it anywhere near that price elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

thekooman wrote: »
    great battery... prob around 8 hours+ (with bluetooth on to phone, ant+ to powermeter and HRM) on mine after 2 years of use. can't fault the unit.

Second that,did a 200km Audax (with mapping/navigation on) recently,the unit was on all day including stops,just over 10 hours and just about lasted the distance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

It's a good price, and comes perfectly timed for me when my aging Edge 500 is starting to do my head in. I'd add a small caveat though as to whether it's good value.

The offer is for the bare unit and doesn't include sensors (the bundle comes with speed/cadence and HR strap) If you need to or want to add these, you're looking at about €100 extra. Speed/cadence is probably the more valuable and comes in at about €60 standalone. You will of course have speed (the wheel based sensor adds accuracy)/elevation/gradient etc from GPS alone so I'm not by any means saying it's useless on its own, but just something to consider.

JMcL wrote: »
    It's a good price, and comes perfectly timed for me when my aging Edge 500 is starting to do my head in. I'd add a small caveat though as to whether it's good value.

The offer is for the bare unit and doesn't include sensors (the bundle comes with speed/cadence and HR strap) If you need to or want to add these, you're looking at about €100 extra. Speed/cadence is probably the more valuable and comes in at about €60 standalone. You will of course have speed (the wheel based sensor adds accuracy)/elevation/gradient etc from GPS alone so I'm not by any means saying it's useless on its own, but just something to consider.

Could always pick up the sensors 2nd hand if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Could always pick up the sensors 2nd hand if needed.
    I paid €179 for mine with the sensors and heart rate included. If you use Amazon At all it should always be your first port of call. Either way it is a great price from an Irish retailer. You can always ad sensors later or not. Loads of garmin gear on adverts. I'd go for it if I was you

I don't think I've ever seen one that cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭secman

I have mine 20 months or so , battery good and reliable. Syncs with Strava. Did have Garmin heart monitor and strap, barely lasted over a year, strap issue, and replacement cost was mad money. Ended up getting Wahoo monitor and strap and it's half the price of a Garmin one and better thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

skerry wrote: »
    Amazon have a Prime offer on Crud Roadracer MK3's at the moment for £10.00 a pair. Great price and super timing. Have to be a Prime member but you can get 30 day free trial handy enough unless you've had one recently.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crud-Road-Racer-Mk3-Mudguard/dp/B01LXUZ4AN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534844317&sr=8-1&keywords=crud+road+racer+mk3+mudguard

Thanks for the heads up, got 2 sets earlier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

I think I would prefer to put the extra and get the Wahoo Bolt, they are about €230.

It's black and white screen is nice and clear (you don't need colour), the maps are clearer, you get proper buttons instead of a touch screen and I still have over 30% battery left after 11 hours on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

halvis wrote: »
    I think I would prefer to put the extra and get the Wahoo Bolt, they are about €230.

It's black and white screen is nice and clear (you don't need colour), the maps are clearer, you get proper buttons instead of a touch screen and I still have over 30% battery left after 11 hours on the bike.

The 520 is not touchscreen. It has buttons only.

• Advertisement

The 520 is not touchscreen. It has buttons only.

The current 520 (520 advance) is touch screen, older versions are button operated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement