Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Could be too expensive to ship something like that ie costs more to ship here. Compared to what it is worth

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

it's showing up as unavailable now from the link so it looks like it was more than just postage costs.

given the cost of some of the items they'll ship, for example i can add a 1 euro washer to my basket and they'll ship it for 4 euros postage fee, i doubt it was the shipping cost

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

mossym wrote: »
    it's showing up as unavailable now from the link so it looks like it was more than just postage costs.

given the cost of some of the items they'll ship, for example i can add a 1 euro washer to my basket and they'll ship it for 4 euros postage fee, i doubt it was the shipping cost

It will show up as unavailable if you start with your destination country set to Ireland. But if you have it set to UK then it will show up as available and then you get the "cannot ship to Ireland" note when you change the destination to Ireland.

I don't believe it's anything to do with shipping costs, as I could add a bike to the cart and it still won't let me buy the battery. I would say it's either a regulation about international shipping of Lithium Ion batteries generally (they have been known to catch fire in operation and in transit) or it's a restriction imposed by the supplier.

Will look at using Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lithium Ion batteries are classified as dangerous goods when it comes to shipping them. I think it's because they can release dangerous materials if dropped, or something.

Anyway, the regulations around shipping them are different if you're just sending a battery on its own rather than connected/integrated into a device.

It's a joke, of course, but wiggle are at the mercy of the shipping companies.

may want to check so if parcel motel will even accept it. course you could just not tell them..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

MediaMan wrote: »
    Got me too. Now 40 euro down after stumping up for a light and a helmet mount!

While I'm at it, anyone know where to get spare batteries for these lights? The model is LIR123a, aka CR123a rechargable I think. According to the manual, the battery needs to contain a protection circuit.

Wiggle has them, shows up fine when destination is the UK, but when I change the shipping destination to Ireland I get:
    "Lezyne Mini Drive Rechargeable 600Mah Battery Black
    Not available for despatch to Irish Republic"

Lots of ebay options, but I'd like to buy a battery that people know will work.

Cheers.

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/batteries/lithium-rechargeable-batteries.html

Cheaper than the lezyne own brand and higher capacits. There are cheaper options on ebay and dealextreme but as you said it can be hard to sure of what your getting. A lot of them are just recycled laptop batteries.

I personally would and did spend the extra to get the lezynes with the 18650 cells. The mini drive runs for 1.5 hrs on the mid 100 lumen setting. The macro drive gives a run time of 9hrs on the low 100 lumen setting. I know a lot of you are in Dublin and really only need a light to be seen but its not that much more for a light with much longer runtime and enough light for proper night spins out into the scary night time country side. Though if all you need it for is a short commute it the mini drive is very well priced.

My requirements are different though I live out in the country side and have a 20k each way commute so need the run time and extra light. Love heading out some nights after I have got the kids to bed. Much more enjoyable to get out for 2-3 hrs on a starry night than sitting on the turbo for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 poondq

anyone knows where can i find speedplay pedals deals?!

or any coupon codes now at wiggle crc etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Guys for protein shakes. Try bulkpowders or myprotein! Far more cost effective

For me BulkPowders is the best if unflavoured is your thing. MyProtein's service is very lacking I won't use them again.

There's also TheProteinWorks which by all accounts is suppose to be excellent. I'm just waiting on an order from them as they have a couple of good deals on at the moment. If anyone is thinking of trying them and wants to use my referrer code (MO4310) they'll throw in some free protein with your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

seamus wrote: »
    Lithium Ion batteries are classified as dangerous goods when it comes to shipping them. I think it's because they can release dangerous materials if dropped, or something.

Anyway, the regulations around shipping them are different if you're just sending a battery on its own rather than connected/integrated into a device.

It's a joke, of course, but wiggle are at the mercy of the shipping companies.

I'd recommend emailing them and seeing what can be worked out - they didn't have a problem sending me a replacement battery for my Lezyne last week when one the one that shipped with the torch was defective.

For aftermarket higher capacity batteries check out this eBay store - its run by a guy in Glasgow that has done effectively every kind of test on most batteries for torches and stocks the ones he has found best. His prices are decent too when you compare the asking price for Lezyne branded batteries.

He also runs this site. After reading it seems safe to say he knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Ryath wrote: »
    100 lumen setting. I know a lot of you are in Dublin and really only need a light to be seen but its not that much more for a light with much longer runtime and enough light for proper night spins out into the scary night time country side. Though if all you need it for is a short commute it the mini drive is very well priced.

My requirements are different though I live out in the country side and have a 20k each way commute so need the run time and extra light.

Question on your 'extra light' comment. I've found I'm perfectly happy using a low 56 lumen setting on unlit roads and only really need the high 200 lumen setting for descents or in busy traffic. Are you using high or low settings on your night spins?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

irishbuzz wrote: »
    For me BulkPowders is the best if unflavoured is your thing. MyProtein's service is very lacking I won't use them again.

There's also TheProteinWorks which by all accounts is suppose to be excellent. I'm just waiting on an order from them as they have a couple of good deals on at the moment. If anyone is thinking of trying them and wants to use my referrer code (MO4310) they'll throw in some free protein with your order.

What happened? I've always order from MyProtein and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

What happened? I've always order from MyProtein and never had a problem.

Really, really slow delivery times and no help when chasing them up on it. Eventually when the stuff arrived a lot of it was wrong.

Similar stories to my own here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82163210

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Question on your 'extra light' comment. I've found I'm perfectly happy using a low 56 lumen setting on unlit roads and only really need the high 200 lumen setting for descents or in busy traffic. Are you using high or low settings on your night spins?

I have now 2 front lights a lezyne macro drive and a lezyne superdrive I usually run one on low and the other on medium Though the 2 on low are perfectly usable I prefer being able to see that little bit further and cleary up the road. The lumens aren't everything though the beam pattern makes a big difference. The Superdrive has a very wide even beam with out much of a hot spot and is just adequate by itself in the low 125 lumens setting as it doesn't thrown very far on this setting. The macro drive has a much tighter hot spot and throws much further even on its low setting of 100 so you can still aim it a good bit up the road. You do feel you are missing the wider spread of light though, yes you can see exactly where you are going but I'd be afraid I was missing an animal or something that might move in front of me. I'd imagine 56 lumens aimed in tight beam is more than fine when you are going along a steady pace on a staight line.

I'm sure you just get used to what you have though. Once you get used to having more light it is hard to go back. I've been out with guys with magicshines and the like and my lights are completely drowned out so you can definitely have to much light and I'm sure some of the oncoming motorists agree.

CRC have another private sale on for those who have bought from them before. Some significant savings on Campagnolo gear, most of it >70% off

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

CRC have another private sale on for those who have bought from them before. Some significant savings on Campagnolo gear, most of it >70% off

Is it any good?

lots of long sleeve jerseys, jackets, bib tights,

pretty good, i picked up a set of bib shorts and a long sleeve jersey for 80 odd euros

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Anyone know what criteria qualifies for an invite..
    Ive have 3-4 orders with CRC in the last 6 months about €400 ish...

dfdream wrote: »

it said on the link anyone who had placed an order before

have you tried your junk mail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Same here, nothing in the spam box either.

try this link and sign in with your crc account

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/PrivateSale/Login.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

I get this message...

You have not been invited to any active sales at this time

Not spending enough I suppose....
    try this link and sign in with your crc account

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/PrivateSale/Login.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

I've only spent around €70 on crc in the past 12 months but I still get invited to every private sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kk2012

have a few new race tyres im getting rid of still in box if anyone interested..vittoria diamante pro radial 111...700x24

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Somebody who needs an incentive to spend - looks like you don't need any ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

route66 wrote: »
    Somebody who needs an incentive to spend - looks like you don't need any ;-)

Pretty much, I never got them till I started spending less with them.

actually my comment about anyone who placed an order before was for the previous private sale i think, the one that ran in January

not sure what the criteria is on this one, i've only recently placed my first order on CRC after a gap of a couple of years, so maybe they are trying to entice people back who haven't being buying as much as they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

Just received an email today that Rosebikes is doing a clearance sale (up to 50% off) starting today for its members and Friday for everybody else. You have to sign in to see the reductions. Somebody might find it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

xbox gamer wrote: »
    Just received an email today that Rosebikes is doing a clearance sale (up to 50% off) starting today for its members and Friday for everybody else. You have to sign in to see the reductions. Somebody might find it useful.

Wow, they've got the Philips LED light going for €47. See http://www.roseversand.com/article/philips-led-bike-light-set. I paid more than twice that a year ago. Great light.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

That's still coming up as €65 for me, even when signed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

That's still coming up as €65 for me, even when signed in.

Did you sign up for a Rose Loyalty card? The sale items at the moment can only be seen by VIPs, but others will be able to see it in the coming days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement