Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Saw these in the flesh when I was looking for my first pair of shoes. TBH they are not great. I decided to hold off and bought a pair of Shimano R087 on sale for about €50 and twas the best thing I ever did.
    The sportsdirect stuff is only OK. The bibs and tights nearly the best of the range...
    Have several of their items that I no longer use..
    My moto now is I dont want cheap stuff I want good stuff cheap...
    My 2 pence worth...
    g0g wrote: »
    Cheapest pair of SPD shoes ever!? € 22.99 delivered as their delivery is 99c at the moment. Lots of sizes available. There are other good deals on their cycling stuff at the moment. No idea on quality although I guess you get what you pay for!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

Fairly decent price at the moment for most Kryptonite locks from Ribble. €40 (inc delivery) for an Evolution Mini 5. About €42 for an Evo Mini 7 with cable, same price for an Evo Mini 9 etc etc

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/kryptonite-kryptonite-locks-kryptonite-evolution-mini-5-with-bracket/kryplock432000000000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Dinging wrote: »
    Wiggle have a good offer end today

Says 15th on that image?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

High5 11 sachet race-day packs for €4.91 each on Wiggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Felt AR3 for €2.5k. Down from €4k.

51 and 58 only:

http://eurocycles.com/ie/product/felt/ar3-matte-carbon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭robfahy

Some good bargains at the moment over at Planet X Bikes...

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/cyclesearch?q=vermarc&x=15&y=14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

dfdream wrote: »
    Saw these in the flesh when I was looking for my first pair of shoes. TBH they are not great. I decided to hold off and bought a pair of Shimano R087 on sale for about €50 and twas the best thing I ever did.
    The sportsdirect stuff is only OK. The bibs and tights nearly the best of the range...
    Have several of their items that I no longer use..
    My moto now is I dont want cheap stuff I want good stuff cheap...
    My 2 pence worth...

I'm a complete noob here so apoligies but what type of pedals/cleats would I need to use these?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I'm a complete noob here so apoligies but what type of pedals/cleats would I need to use these?

I'm not sure what shoes you are talking about. The ones on Sports direct will need pedals called SPD.
    Such as these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759
    The shimano ones that were mentioned will take either SPD, or SPD-SL pedals. If you are entering the world of road cycling where you will be clocking up more miles than the average commute I'd recomend the SPD-SL pedals and c,eats such as these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5369
    They will give a bigger area of your foot to 'connect' with the pedal, making it a bit more comfortable and more efficient

Oh btw, cleats come when you order pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Janey Mack

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

I was just in argos and i was browsing through the catalogue and saw they have a full carbon fibre bike for €880 (normally €1760 but there is 50% off). Not sure if it has the new sora 9 speed shifters (as shown in the video below) or if it still has the thumbshifters (as in the argos picture).

Might be useful for someone looking for a new bike. Seems good value for money if you ask me

Click here

Also a video of the bike:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

flying11 wrote: »
    I was just in argos and i was browsing through the catalogue and saw they have a full carbon fibre bike for €880 (normally €1760 but there is 50% off). Not sure if it has the new sora 9 speed shifters (as shown in the video below) or if it still has the thumbshifters (as in the argos picture).

Never heard of the brand before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

PS there is one in stock in waterford and dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

godtabh wrote: »
    Never heard of the brand before.
    neither have i, but i thought id share in case anyone is interested :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's a very good deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Probably just one of those far east carbon frames with a lick of paint and a cheap groupset, can't be THAT bad considering how many people buy them frames...

colm_gti wrote: »
    Probably just one of those far east carbon frames with a lick of paint and a cheap groupset, can't be THAT bad considering how many people buy them frames...

Would you buy it?

I'm keen to buy a new bike and if I was to buy this and add a 105 group-set it might be a decent bike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

colm_gti wrote: »
    Probably just one of those far east carbon frames with a lick of paint

You just described 95% of the frames out there :D

Would you buy it?

I'm keen to buy a new bike and if I was to buy this and add a 105 group-set it might be a decent bike

I probably wouldn't, but moreso because of the groupset and finishing kit than the frame they're hung on...seems like good value though.

EDIT: If you bought this and added a 105 groupset, you could probably have bought a carbon bike with 105 in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Would you buy it?

I'm keen to buy a new bike and if I was to by this and add a 105 group-set it might be a decent bike

If I needed a new bike and had €900 to spend, I'd be straight down to argos. Problem is they only have it in a 55cm. Considering it has a sloping top tube and the way argos gives the spec, I'd wonder if it has a 55cm top tube or seat tube, my guess is top tube.

If it had the new sora shifters as per the video that would sweeten the deal.

I've about 1k to spend. At the moment the Roadlite AL 6.0 is the most likely buy

• Advertisement

I've about 1k to spend. At the moment the Roadlite AL 6.0 is the most likely buy

If I was limited to an absolute maximum of a grand to spend on a bike, that's probably where my money would go too...

if you had +/- €300 to add to that is there any other that you would go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Roadlite 7.0

Toss up between getting the same bike with ultegra, or getting the AL6.0, selling the wheels it comes with for ~€200 and buying a set of ksyrium elites.

It depends on what level you're at, and what you intend on doing (leisure/sportives/racing/etc.)

that was probably the obvious answer! Hoping on hope that there will be a ultergra bargain for under €1k in the next couple of days. The corratec one seemed good but the lack of spec details has put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mcofferon

funkyjebus wrote: »
    If I needed a new bike and had €900 to spend, I'd be straight down to argos. Problem is they only have it in a 55cm. Considering it has a sloping top tube and the way argos gives the spec, I'd wonder if it has a 55cm top tube or seat tube, my guess is top tube.

If it had the new sora shifters as per the video that would sweeten the deal.

They have a 58cm frame listed too, but I'm not sure about the stock levels at your local store (332/4525).

I'd say if you'd want to check the returns policy very carefully, but normally you get a no questions asked refund within 14 days if your not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Rose Pro-SL 3000 for €1,399 has to be worth a look too if it's an aluminium bike you want.
    Planet X SL Pro carbon with Rival/FSA mix is €1,185.
    Ribble R872 with full 105 is €1,345.

Plastik wrote: »
    Rose Pro-SL 3000 for €1,399 has to be worth a look too if it's an aluminium bike you want.
    Planet X SL Pro carbon with Rival/FSA mix is €1,185.
    Ribble R872 with full 105 is €1,345.

Actually yeah, Ribble R872 for me please! What wheels is that with Plastik?

The ribble looks tasty. Just looking for something for anything but racing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Have you looked at ribble. Carbon with 10sp tiagra and one of the better carbon frames comes in at just under £1k STG so should be in your price range. I have a sportive bianco and love it.

Canyon are generally good, althought they have been getting less competitive price wise in the last two years. Have a look at this btwin and also check out rose bikes, but you certainly wont go wrong with a canyon and wont get better value in a LBS. I have a canyon MTB and don't have a bad word to say about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement