Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Chainreaction are selling off Ridley frames for less than half price.

Interesting...

Would either of these two
    1010A
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=90591

or 1208A
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=90592#

make decent road bikes for a beginner?

Damned if I can spot the difference between the two of them and CRC show the same geometry image (labeled 1010A) for both of them.The 1010A has 'Headset Type/Size: Integrated Campag/1 1/8”' and the 1208A is '41.3mm ID – 1 1/8” steerer' so is it just a headset difference? Strange that the numbering is so different if so.

I'm planning on getting a road bike before September/October (when the clubs accept beginners) and I'm thinking that one of these frames and a 10-speed 300 euro tiagra group-set from merlin cycles would be a great start. I'm happy to build the bike myself and have all the tools I need except for the head-set tool but have read that I can bodge that easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

quozl wrote: »
    Interesting...

1010A

or 1208A

Damned if I can spot the difference between the two of them and CRC show the same geometry image (labeled 1010A) for both of them.The 1010A has 'Headset Type/Size: Integrated Campag/1 1/8”' and the 1208A is '41.3mm ID – 1 1/8” steerer' so is it just a headset difference? Strange that the numbering is so different if so.

I'm planning on getting a road bike before September/October (when the clubs accept beginners) and I'm thinking that one of these frames and a 10-speed 300 euro tiagra group-set from merlin cycles would be a great start. I'm happy to build the bike myself and have all the tools I need except for the head-set tool but have read that I can bodge that easily enough.

I suspect the only difference is the colour. Make sure you do the sums before embarking on this project. It's hard to beat the prices manufacturers can offer on fully built bikes by doing your own build. Don't forget the cost of wheels, stem, bars, tape, tyres, saddle and seatpost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Interesting...

1010A

or 1208A

They're the same, and use a Campag drop in headset. I bought the 1010A, and built it up with a mix of bits I had on a previous bike, mostly 105, and I like it a lot. Aksiums and 105/Tiagra/Sora and it comes in at 9.2kg ish, and is a very solid frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

I bought this Fizik Antares Carbon, price seemed a bit too good to be true, but it arrived today and is 100% legit....for any of you looking for a new relatively lightweight saddle...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

Interesting...

1010A

or 1208A

These frames are for 'sports' hybrids - I have one as my hybrid commuter - nice bike but i cant see the point of turning one into a club racer

here is a built up tiagra 1010a for 1220eur in cycle superstore

Ridley Tempo Commuter

These frames are for 'sports' hybrids - I have one as my hybrid commuter - nice bike but i cant see the point of turning one into a club racer

here is a built up tiagra 1010a for 1220eur in cycle superstore

Ridley Tempo Commuter

It's the same geometry as the Ridley Orion, so no reason not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

It's the same geometry as the Ridley Orion, so no reason not to.

Just goes to show what I know of bike geometry -

looks like I have just talked myself into a little conversion :pac:

Just goes to show what I know of bike geometry -

looks like I have just talked myself into a little conversion :pac:

Ha, why not?! I like mine, at any rate:

253936.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

colm_gti wrote: »
    I bought this Fizik Antares Carbon, price seemed a bit too good to be true, but it arrived today and is 100% legit....for any of you looking for a new relatively lightweight saddle...

Cheers Colm where did you buy that?

EDIT - I was using the phone when posting this±

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

They're the same, and use a Campag drop in headset. I bought the 1010A, and built it up with a mix of bits I had on a previous bike, mostly 105, and I like it a lot. Aksiums and 105/Tiagra/Sora and it comes in at 9.2kg ish, and is a very solid frame.

Thanks, that's very helpful :)

I've gone and ordered the frame plus a Tiagra 4600 group-set for 300 euro from Merlin.

By the time I've got all that assembled, I should be able to afford most of the rest of it as I have good enough wheels on my hybrid that I can swap between for a couple of months anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3324525/Trail/searchtext%3EVENTURA.htm

Full carbon eu879. Any use?

1 in dundalk and 1 in portlaiise
    55cm version

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

subway wrote: »
    If I had that money to spend on a bike I would go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

subway wrote: »
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3324525/Trail/searchtext%3EVENTURA.htm

Full carbon eu879. Any use?

1 in dundalk and 1 in portlaiise
    55cm version

Older Sora groupset with the crappy thumb-shifters and a cheap crankset by the looks of it. I'd avoid it. For that price or a little more you could nearly get 105.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Older Sora groupset with the crappy thumb-shifters and a cheap crankset by the looks of it. I'd avoid it. For that price or a little more you could nearly get 105.

carrera carbon with 105 for not much more in halfords...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dare 2b waterproof cycling jackets for €10 in Halfords.

They look decent, probably overkill for the summer but look the business for winter commuting. I've reserved one in Galway, going to pick it up now in a wee bit, in stock in Small, Large and XL.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Seaneh wrote: »
    Dare 2b waterproof cycling jackets for €10 in Halfords.

They look decent, probably overkill for the summer but look the business for winter commuting. I've reserved one in Galway, going to pick it up now in a wee bit, in stock in Small, Large and XL.

Link

Grand jacket was only looking at them in TKMAXX for €30 last week.
    Great reviews online too. For a tenner its a nobrainer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Grand jacket was only looking at them in TKMAXX for €30 last week.
    Great reviews online too. For a tenner its a nobrainer!

Was in stock on the website but when I went to collect it in store they had none.
    Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know there's an ALDI thread, but in case someone ignores those threads, LIDL have their €30 bike stand back in stock this Thursday:
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=32809

In a world where it costs €80 to get a basic bike stand from anyone else, this is a big bargain. I love mine. I might grab one of the backpacks for trips to and from races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Map My Ride+ for iOS is free on the App Store at the moment.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/map-my-ride+-gps-cycling-riding/id306561234?mt=8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

Not overly up-to-speed on specs of bike, but Halfords have this Carrera TDF Road Bike reduced from €750 to €437.49.

At the minute though they've 10% off all road bikes, so another 10% off brings it down to €393.74. Certainly think it's worth looking at for under €400, and if you go through the BTW scheme, it could stand you just over €200.

Could be complete tripe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

These are 77 euro on chainreaction at the moment, are these good value - i'm looking to replace my forks, they are ideal for me but are they worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Soarer wrote: »
    Not overly up-to-speed on specs of bike, but Halfords have this Carrera TDF Road Bike reduced from €750 to €437.49.

At the minute though they've 10% off all road bikes, so another 10% off brings it down to €393.74. Certainly think it's worth looking at for under €400, and if you go through the BTW scheme, it could stand you just over €200.

Could be complete tripe though.

Pass on it. It's at that reduced price pretty much all the time. And it's nowhere near as well specced out as the B'twin Tribans from Decathlon. The components are pretty old-fashioned now, have been around a good few years.

Old 2300 with the thumb shifters, avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

bsb1971 wrote: »
    These are 77 euro on chainreaction at the moment, are these good value - i'm looking to replace my forks, they are ideal for me but are they worth it.

They look good value, but you'd want to be sure it'll fit your frame, as these are tapered, ie 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" at the crown race. More standard is 1 1/8" with no taper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Some one was looking for a helmet recently.

Saw this in wiggle
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-monza-road-helmet/

Priced matched in snow + rock/ cycle surgery today. Reduced from €90 to 57.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Hi, was gonna pick up some cycling gear at lidl-specifically the shorts. Are they decent?

I was talking to a chap in a limerick bike store who rubbished them-though I'd expect him to say that given that his ones were a multiple of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

digzy wrote: »
    Hi, was gonna pick up some cycling gear at lidl-specifically the shorts. Are they decent?

I was talking to a chap in a limerick bike store who rubbished them-though I'd expect him to say that given that his ones were a multiple of the price.

I can confirm, they are sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

digzy wrote: »

Shorts are terrible, lidl should be sued under trade deceptions act because there is no cushioning. You might as well have a wad of tissue stuffed down there

• Advertisement

I think the consensus is to spend a bit to protect the crown jewels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement