Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

robfahy wrote: »
    That price could be minus the VAT. You could try to take it to the checkout and look to see if you're asked for a VAT no.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭robfahy

Lemag wrote: »
    That price could be minus the VAT. You could try to take it to the checkout and look to see if you're asked for a VAT no.

I ordered a t-shirt before the tour for €16 from work, same t-shirt from home PC was €25. No VAT added, €16 was the total I paid. I remember seeing it in work and thinking I'll order that when I get home. Then I saw it was €25 and thought the price had just gone up in the meantime, but next time I checked from work it was €16, so ordered it then.

My work ISP is showing as: AT&T Global Network Services Nederland B.V.
    From home it's Vodafone Ireland

Maybe it's cheaper for people in mainland Europe.

I ordered a t-shirt before the tour for €16 from work, same t-shirt from home PC was €25. No VAT added, €16 was the total I paid. I remember seeing it in work and thinking I'll order that when I get home. Then I saw it was €25 and thought the price had just gone up in the meantime, but next time I checked from work it was €16, so ordered it then.
    So what you're saying is that if we all want to buy stuff from that site we should place our orders with you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭robfahy

So what you're saying is that if we all want to buy stuff from that site we should place our orders with you ;)

I'll have to invite you all over to where I work! :) It definitely seems to base price on location. Maybe they think Irish cycling fans have more money!

I'll have to invite you all over to where I work! :)
    What?! You won't be offering home delivery. Poor service IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

or go and live in the Netherlands :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Cofidis? Jesus were they even in the tour this year!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

TK Maxx Blanchardstown have some Craft and Dare2B cycle stuff - Craft & D2B tops were in L & M, bibs from Craft XS only from what I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    TK Maxx Blanchardstown have some Craft and Dare2B cycle stuff - Craft & D2B tops were in L & M, bibs from Craft XS only from what I could see.

RadioShack-Leopard Bib Shorts in XXL and Craft in TK Maxx Tralee also. Handy if you want to try on for fit rather than buying online direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

A few cycling related bargains to be had for Kindle: David Walsh's Seven Deadly Sins at £2.99, David Millar's Racing Through The Dark, and less relevant, but supposed to be good if anybody fancies torturing themselves in the UK 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs - A Road Cyclist's Guide to Britain's Hills at £1.19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Is this a bargain?

20ijsjb.jpg

Being slowly building up my fitness on my mountain bike since April and feel I deserve a road bike or at least something better on the roads than current my bike.

Have been doing 15km cycles every second day and a big 40 - 50km cycle at the weekends.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_810707_langId_-
    1_categoryId_212536

What you think?

Money is tight enough, could probably go to 500 euro if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think they're great bikes, my old man picked one up second hand a few weeks ago and I have to say, it punches well above it's weight.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    I think they're great bikes, my old man picked one up second hand a few weeks ago and I have to say, it punches well above it's weight.

I know it's Halfords and bargain alerts and them don't together.

From reading reviews it seems to be a nice bike for a beginner/ getting a little more serious.

Does your father do much hill climbing with it?

Has he had previous road bikes? Is it even in the same ball park as a semi decent entry road bike?

If its as good a decent Hybrid bikes on the road I would be happy, two friends I go cycling have boardman bike below and I would be pushing myself and my mountain bike very keeping up with them on the hills and flat surfaces.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_777849_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

RoverZT wrote: »
    I know it's Halfords and bargain alerts and them don't together.

From reading reviews it seems to be a nice bike for a beginner/ getting a little more serious.

Does your father do much hill climbing with it?

Has he had previous road bikes? Is it even in the same ball park as a semi decent entry road bike?

If its as good a decent Hybrid bikes on the road I would be happy, two friends I go cycling have boardman bike below and I would be pushing myself and my mountain bike very keeping up with them on the hills and flat surfaces.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_777849_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

He does a 9km each way commute on it, and I've done a fair few spins up Howth Hill with him and he never complains about the bike. He originally had a Giant CRS 3 hybrid and I convinced him to change to a road bike because of the sheer weight of the hybrid as he was struggling up hills. The Carrera's light and the stock wheelset is fairly sturdy.

It compares to one of my old bikes, a Jupiter Utah which had a Sora groupset but was around 450 quid at the time. The only thing is, you'll probably need to give it a decent set up once you get it, at first his front derailleur was out of line and wouldn't shift up or down, and the rear kept skipping gears. This can be easily corrected with a bit of reading online.

Hope that was helpful anyways!

stetyrrell wrote: »
    He does a 9km each way commute on it, and I've done a fair few spins up Howth Hill with him and he never complains about the bike. He originally had a Giant CRS 3 hybrid and I convinced him to change to a road bike because of the sheer weight of the hybrid as he was struggling up hills. The Carrera's light and the stock wheelset is fairly sturdy.

It compares to one of my old bikes, a Jupiter Utah which had a Sora groupset but was around 450 quid at the time. The only thing is, you'll probably need to give it a decent set up once you get it, at first his front derailleur was out of line and wouldn't shift up or down, and the rear kept skipping gears. This can be easily corrected with a bit of reading online.

Hope that was helpful anyways!

Thanks stetyrrell, very helpful.

My mind is made up:D

Has decent enough reviews with cycling mags too.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-carrera-tdf-ltd-road-bike-11-44902

12 or so pairs of Craft bibshorts in TKMaxx in Cork. Mostly large and smaller sizes. Didn't see any medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doozer16

Hey LeMag, are Craft bib shorts any good? How much by the way?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

doozer16 wrote: »

I got a pair last week and i'm impressed with them

doozer16 wrote: »
    I've no prior experience with them. They looked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I've no prior experience with them. They looked fine.
    I have the Craft bibs (I think they are the Elite series) and I found them very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

12 or so pairs of Craft bibshorts in TKMaxx in Cork. Mostly large and smaller sizes. Didn't see any medium.

Only small sizes in Carrickmines.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

How much were they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/wheelsroad/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset-with-shimano-hub.html

Colm_gti mentioned this website already but want to highlight this, A pair of Zonda's ,delivered to anywhere in Ireland free, for €313 by using the coupon code "wheeldeal" when viewing the basket, cheapest I've seen anywhere, and they're Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/wheelsroad/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset-with-shimano-hub.html

Colm_gti mentioned this website already but want to highlight this, A pair of Zonda's ,delivered to anywhere in Ireland free, for €313 by using the coupon code "wheeldeal" when viewing the basket, cheapest I've seen anywhere, and they're Irish.

Jesus that is the cheapest I've seen them anywhere as well

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Says no availability now.Great deal if you can get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

ffs added them to my basket, went to get the CC and came back to check out and the wheels are gone, someone lucky got the last pair :(

Soarer wrote: »
    How much were they?
    Was just in the Cork store.

Craft Performance 39.98
    Black XS, XL
    White XL, XXL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

codie wrote: »
    Says no availability now.Great deal if you can get them.
    Jocry wrote: »
    ffs added them to my basket, went to get the CC and came back to check out and the wheels are gone, someone lucky got the last pair :(

They must of just got in a few sets, they only emailed me to say they were in stock on Monday (brilliant customer service btw). Keep an eye on it because they must be getting in more the way they are selling

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Was just in the Cork store.

Craft Performance 39.98
    Black XS, XL
    White XL, XXL

Just bought one this morning for 34.99, size S, White and Red colour. It is a different model (this one, whereas the model you're referring to is this one). The pad looked a bit different, maybe a bit inferior, but at that price, I'm happy to give them a try (and they fit perfect).

Anyway, they're gone now :) Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DrChristianTroy

They must of just got in a few sets, they only emailed me to say they were in stock on Monday (brilliant customer service btw). Keep an eye on it because they must be getting in more the way they are selling

Agreed, excellent customer service..... Ordered a set yest, got an email to say shimano freehub now in stock and that I could use 'wheeldeal' code (was due to expire on Sunday I think).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement